0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1 Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Between 1948 and 1974 Ferrari built approx. 475 even-numbered competition cars (chassis #0002-0896 and 1002-1050). Today almost all of these super rare cars are accounted for. Only a handful is still missing and may be lost forever. We all dream about barn finds and very few people have been lucky in the past few years. Finding a long lost Ferrari is like a lottery win.

Tom Shaughnessy of San Clemente/CA is such a very happy lottery winner. And this time the lottery was Ebay! On the 20th June 2006 Shaughnessy bought in an ebay auction what was described as a Devin Sports Spider of the 1950s, with a fiberglass body similar to a 750 Monza Ferrari. Brian Brown and Tom Shaughnessy were the only ones in the world who quickly realized that underneath the Devin body was a genuine Ferrari chassis numbered 0202 A. Shaughnessy was the high bidder in the ebay auction and acquired the “Devin” for US$ 26’912.

The seller was based in Illinois and was cleaning up his garage. The Ferrari had last be seen in the early 1960s. Chassis number 0202 A is a genuine 1952 Ferrari 340 America, built originally with an attractive Spider body by Vignale. 0202 A raced at the Le Mans 24 hours in 1952 with Maurice Trintignant and Louis Rosier. Thereafter the factory loaned the car to Piero Scotti who hillclimbed 0202 A extensively through 1953. The car came to USA via Luigi Chinetti who may have re-sold it to Ernie McAfee. In the late 1950s Paul Owens in Houston/TX owned 0202 A and a Chevy V8 engine was installed. Following a crash a Devin Spider fiberglass body was installed. The original engine was later sold by somebody in the Chicago area. In 1963 chassis 0202 A was titled in Salt Lake City/UT and then the car disappeared until 2006. Nobody saw it for the next 43 years!

0202 A is one of only 25 340 Americas built (9 bodied by Touring, 11 by Vignale and 5 by Ghia). Sister cars are 0196 A and 0204 A.

Shaugnessy’s new acquisition is a super rare “barn find”. The front part of the chassis with the steering is intact, the front spring is missing, someone has added a carrier for a battery just behind the crossmember. The chassis number 0202 A is crystal clear and intact. The center section and rear have been modified. All of the rear leaf spring mounts have been cut off. The brakes are still there and appear to be in good condition. The wheels should be original. The ends of the rear axle are correct. The center section has been replaced with a Chevy. A full restoration is planned in co-operation with the Ferrari factory in Maranello (Classic Departement).

Today a complete 340 America Spider Vignale is probably worth north of US$ 2.8 M. Shaughnessy paid less than one (1) percent of this amount! Congratulations to Tom for a fabulous find! Well done indeed.

See also photos below.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777, christc and Oengus like this.
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Cool! Congrats!

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Jim, Tom
    Once the restoration is finished the car will have a sticker on the tail saying "I bought it on ebay!!".
    Marcel Massini

Oengus likes this.
  4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    So how many of the parts needed to restore it were already in Tom's stash?

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #5 Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    What history do you have for this car? Barchetta seems to be wrong again as it doesn't list Le Mans.

Best

7. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
  8. Turner

Turner Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    EC
    Full Name:
    Turner
    very cool story. is there any way that we can follow the story of this car's restoration?

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That is just amazing. Congrats and well done !

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14 June 1952 Le Mans 24 hours with Rosier-Trintignant #15 DNF
    10 August 1952 Senigallia with Piero Scotti
    15 August 1952 Pescara 12 hours with Piero Scotti
    31 August 1952 Maloja-St. Moritz hillclimb with Piero Scotti, race #114
    7 September 1952 Colline Pistoiesi Cup with Piero Scotti, placed 1st
    21 September 1952 Catania-Etna hillclimb with Piero Scotti, placed 1st
    19 October 1952 Vermicino-Rocca di Papa hillclimb with Piero Scotti, placed 1st
    23 August 1953 Savona-Cadibona hillclimb with Camillo Luglio, race #188, placed 1st

1953 pictured in the Ferrari Yearbook
    Numerous photos in the old "Auto Italiana" magazines of 1952/1953
    See also book "Circuito di Senigallia - Annali" by Benito Quadraroli

See also page 46 of "Sport Car" magazine with ad by Bill Owens, describing it as "4.1 completely rebuilt 4/59, excellent condition throughout, $ 1.500 in spares, 4.5 "go" three-liter handling, ready to race and win, asking US$ 4'250, trade for??"

Three ovoid portholes when new
    Two brake vents on rear deck (similar to 0204 A and 0220 ED)

Marcel Massini

11. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Congratulations are in order. This is a well deserved find for the spun, flooded, hand gernaded king.

My mom always said "You create your own luck", it looks like Tom was a fine student.

As the Sports Car Market Letter would say......well bought.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There are also period race photos of the car with the Devin body and discussion regarding its history in Cavallino, submitted by Dave Love and taken by Tupper Robinson.

Brian

13. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Incredible Tom and Brian! It's amazing how such an illustrious car had been allowed to deteriorate to this condition. I know - old race cars weren't worth anything back in the day! Did the previous owner know what he had? How long had it been in his possession? Where is engine 0202A now?

-steve

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    congratulations to Brian and Tom; great find! - check another one of the "lost" boys off the list!

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Absolutely amazing and congratulations!

Thanks Marcel for bringing this up.

Looking at those pictures I can't help but think of the garage find in the movie "La Passione". Good luck with rebuilding that car. Hopefully we'll get some updates as the project moves along.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    How much of the chassis is still italian? Can someone knowledgeable kinda circle the areas in the photo? I'm just trying to learn.

Cool find, who would have figured?

EDIT in response to a PM -- yes, I read the description, I just can't visualize it

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Guys, be patient and brave and buy the next issue of "Cavallino" magazine, issue #154 of August 2006. There will be featured another sensational, even more complete and authentic barn find. One I have found recently. An even numbered competition Ferrari nobody has seen since 1959.
    Marcel Massini

18. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Congrats Brian and Tom! Wow what a find. I am sure it is in good hands now.

19. vur

vur Karting

May 9, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vur
    Maurice is smiling, Congratulations!

20. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Any further hints?? ;-)
    Congratulations to both you and Tom! Really amazing...

21. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Holy Sh-it, I saw this! Skipped right over it! ('59 Devin SS, one of my all-time favorites; a "Devin" on E-Bay is always worth a click).

Hiding plain sight - so close, yet so far...

I guess that's what separates Tom S. from..... all of us!! If anybody would've found this, it would be him. ("The harder I work, the luckier I get.")

Whatever happened to that unrestored transporter he brought to Monterey 2 years ago?

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Speaking of Monterey I can tell you that 0202 A will be at Monterey in August this year.
    Marcel Massini

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Have a look at the new thread I just opened in the vintage section.
    Marcel Massini

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom S,

CONGRATULATIONS!! Great find.

Unfortuately, someone parted it out before you got there ;)

Have you considered getting it running in its final Devin form prior to restoration? Might be fun!

Regards,

Art S.

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw this car on ebay and passed right over it without a second look...it does take the right eye. Tom got a great deal, and, considering that this could be a million-dollar resto job, the seller came out ok.

I love barnfind stories, especially Ferrari ones.