360 reliability - during and after the warranty | FerrariChat

360 reliability - during and after the warranty

Discussion in '360/430' started by crazy canuck, Jul 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I am leaning towards buying a 360, after being a loyal p-car driver for some time. The p-cars were a fun ride, but my love for ferrari has always been there along the sidelines...so, I believe the time has come to look for either a 00-02 coupe or spyder.

My question is how reliable have people found these cars to be both in and out of warranty. i understand that it's not a toyota, but I have heard that early cars had software glitches in the f1 trannies, and the cars would just decide not to start ( not sure how true this is, as I heard it from a sales guy who had an 02 coupe for sale), and told me that I should not buy a 360 if it's older than o2..so I guess I'll take that with a grain of salt...

but I thought I'd put the question to the experts..the folks that live and drive these cars--the ferrarichat community!.

1) What sort of repair bills have these cars cost you?

2) what needed to be fixed? (i.e. tranny replacement)

3) How many miles / kms / and how old was the car when the work was required?

4) Was it during or after the warranty?

5) Would you recommend buying a Ferrari certified ..powercube i think? warranty?

thanks in advance

2. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    There are quite a few threads on this, but my experience is pretty good: I have had to recharge the air conditioner once with freon in the 15000 miles/5-6 yrs I have had a 2000 260M F1. I have not needed any clutch replacement and have had no other issues except an alarm battery change. I bring it in for tuning annually.

steve

3. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    No problems 2000 6 speed-----Only scheduled services!
    Nathan

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    rock solid........just take care of it w/ regular maintenanced schedule as you would w/ your P. good luck w/ your search.

5. Execproducer

Execproducer Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    South OC
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I've got a '01 360 Modena with the 6-speed manual. I've had zero maintenance issues other than routinely scheduled stuff (which I thought was quite modestly priced). It's been totally reliable.

6. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've got an '02 360 with no problems. Okay, I lied, my car's going in next week because my tail lights went out. I'm a nut about service and do everything the manual asks. Oil changes seem to be the most recurring service. I bought my car 18 months ago and have put 12k miles on her. Nothing but a joy.

7. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    you guys are not making it easy for me to avoid this buying an f-car ;)

Oh, well looks like I want one even more now (you've twisted my rubber arm).. ;)

on a serious note, though..it sounds like they are a fairly reliable animal, if you spend some effort doing the checking on the front end of the transaction..

are the top mechanisms on the spiders fairly reliable?--or are they a wear item that show wear quickly / or break and need to be replaced often?

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you do a search here, you can probably get a pretty good overview of the problems that have come up. From a casual observer, most of the problems mentioned here are related to the F1 trans and, to a lesser degree, convertible tops. Get a stick shift coupe, and away you go!

Dave

9. sad11

sad11 Karting

Jun 25, 2004
    Bought my car in 2-2004 with 5,200 miles currently have 14,400 miles and have not spent $1 in repairs. Only oil changes & service. Amazing!

-A

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This is true. However, I don't intend to own an F-car out of warranty again. I hate the feeling that the smallest thing could wind up costing big bucks. It's pretty hard to get out of a dealer for under $2,500(around here anyway) for most glitches.

11. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    The only major issue that I had to pay for was a set of leaking gaskets that had to be replaced, naturally a few months after the warranty expired, and my car went through the whole cam variator ordeal and the "broken tool" fiasco at FoSF. I also had the electrical system go dead but that was traced to the original italian battery that decided to go on strike......

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought 2000 360 6-speed 10 months ago and have put 15,000 miles on it (very spirited driving) and have had essentially zero problems with it.

13. snakepilot

snakepilot Karting

Aug 13, 2005
    Lake Murray SC
    Full Name:
    John Martinez
    2003 Spider F1. No problems. Just routine maintenance. Fantastic car.