Greatest Guitarist | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Greatest Guitarist

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by racespecferrari, Jun 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Amazing show isn't it.
    SRV gets my vote. His tone was amazing and his ability to play straight from the heart shines in his lives performances.

Spang

2. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Here's my list:

1. SRV
    2. SRV
    3. SRV
    4. SRV
    5. SR...Um, ok, Hendrix
    6. BB King (yes, even if he can't play a chord, as someone said)
    7. Andres Segovia
    8. Buddy Guy
    9. Clapton

For those who doubt SRV, watch Live at the El-Mocambo and the other DVDs (especially the Austin City Limits performances). The guy is BLAZING but has such incredible range that goes to the lightest, sweetest touch in an instant and back to raging without missing a beat. He freaking starts playing the guitar behind his back by unhooking the strap and swinging the Fender behind him IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG without missing a beat!! I mean, seriously?!?!

I once had a guitar teacher a long long time ago... When he asked me who I wanted to play like and I said SRV, he said forget it -- I can't help you. No one really can. Then I said BB King, and he agreed to teach me. (Though sadly, I never really learned. Too bad at math...)

3. passiveoptimist12

passiveoptimist12 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon Dough
  4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

What a charlatan.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    This question is a bad one, you have the fans, the guitar players, the older people and younger generations, etc. This questions need to have more information as to then have a better answer for them. I met Moore, Malmsteen, Macalpine and my playing is at their level and my choices are in no order,

La familia Romero
    Paco de Lucia
    Andres Segovia
    Julian Bream
    Marty Friedman
    Jason Becker
    Yngwie J Malmsteen
    Tony Macalpine
    Paul Gilbert
    Steve Vai
    Vinnie Moore
    Greg Howe
    Richie Kotzen
    Elliot Fisk

There are others but these were just some.

6. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    I was sitting backstage one night at a festival concert with some very well known shredders( I didn't know them personally) and a major star was trying to put together an on stage jam to end the festival. Funny thing was, 3 of the biggest shredders couldn't get the rythym parts and chordal patterns down and ended up declining to play. It took Steve Morse and Steve Vai no practice at all. I then realized I had never seen any of my shred hero's play anything other than scales really fast. No complex jazz patterns, country swing or funk. They were only good in their own environment, repetitive patterns and more patterns. If my car only went fast what good would it be? Speed makes a guitarist fast not great.

7. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    Finally!!!!!! Roy came up from the Bay area and played my 40th birthday party.
    Unforgettable.
    He's come back a couple times since then to headline some local benefits.
    A fine man and a truly gifted slide guitarist.

8. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    There are a lot of great guitarists, many whom are not even famous, but not that many that are great to listen to. I would say that you have to include John Lennon, George Harrison, and Paul (he wrote most songs on the guitar) in the list based on that 30 years later their cd still sell well and are not in the close out bin.

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I hate posers that want, try or play fast with no melody and the same goes for the famous players that people think of them as good guitarist just because they made "good songs". Few guitarist can do both things at the same time and I don't listen to those that can't.

10. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    Well put. Chops and taste are a great combo. The earlier statement by someone that Ace Frehley was a great guitarist left me speechless and unable to respond for a week. I must have missed something during my KISS phase as a teenager.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne

I once saw SRV live and it looked like he was making love to his guitar. Eyes closed, leaning forward, leaning back, fingers dancing over the strings and up and down the neck of the guitar. Just watching him play and the intensity and passion with which he did it make him a truly great performer and guitarist. I really cannot say who is the greatest as my sampling is probably limited, comparing as to how many great guitarists are out there, and many of them still obscure.

I even enjoy listening to Carlos Santana.

12. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    I don't know this guy's name, or anything about him, but he has developed quite an original tapping style. I really enjoyed the video and I do like his tone and technique.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/3697/

13. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    any list must include robben ford, i've seen most of the so called great players, some really are awesome (SRV, clapton, vai, satch and of course larry carlton, howard roberts) i could go on. also i have played most of my life, though im not anywhere near those guys league every time i hear the radio i hear someone famous who i could play circles around. larry carlton says every time he plays with robben he (larry) learns something. also robben teaches, the best way to get better as a player, probably. if you love guitar and havent heard robben pick up handful of blues or talk to your daughter you will be amazed. he is much cleaner than stevie, and his chord vocabulary is limitless. on talk to your daughter he performs the old duke ellington song aint got nuthin but the blues and rips it, on the final 8 beats he plays 8 different altered chords (don't try that at home kiddies). it ain't the solos that seperates the men from the boys it's what you play all the rest of the time. oh and don't forget freddie king, the guy clapton got most of his licks from.

14. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    NOT IN THIS ORDER BUT HERE GOES-

AL PITRELLI ------------MY TEACHER FROM NEW YORK Long Island
    (YOU MAY NOT KNOW THE NAME BUT HE HAS WRITTEN FOR MANY MANY BANDS WHO YOU DO KNOW ) A STUDENT OF SEGOVIA AS WELL AS SATRIANI AND VIA WERE HIS TEACHERS
    example...DOLKEN/Y&T/CELINE DION/RATT/MEGADEATH/ALICE COOPER TWISTED SISTER.In more than 1 occasion the band he played w/ or wrote for were hits while he was employed by them.
    Al is one of the most emotional players you'l ever here and a fantastic performer as well as a great guy.

Zach Wylde-This is an amazing unique guitarists. Played for only a few years before joining Ozzy .His solo stuff is great to.WE LOVE ZACH!!

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN- Amazing technical neo-classical guitar met him and seen him live. The music is great the performance is theatrical .BUT HE IS "AS MANY WOULD AGREE" AN ARROGANT MONSTER.ITS A LONG STORY!!
    TRULY A HORRIBLE ATTITUDE.

Tony Mcalpine -style neo-classical very fluid though ,I love all his work.

Satriani-no need to say more... :)

Hendrix-enough said.

there are more but can't think .I'll ad as I remember.

MY355

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Student of Segovia? Please give more information so I can believe it. Maybe at seminars or big guitar classes... Two of his students were Julian Bream and Elliot Fisk, who recorded all of the 24 caprices by Nicolo Paganini. Even at very old age Segovia used to play guitar for 8 hours every day and then walk for 2 hours to relax his body from sitting for so many hours.

Malmsteen did have an ego, but this was when he came out a very long time ago and he had the right for it. He has acted very humble since the early 90s and today he is down to earth.

Zach is not a great guitarist as in a technical player, his stuff is all very basic and easy to play, not to say boring.

Tony Macalpine is much more than a fluid neo classical player, he is an awsome piano player as well. I met him when he just came out and even back then he was as down to earth as anyone, saw him play some songs from his first and second album and he was perfect note by note.

Hendrix, well if the whole nation wasn't tripping on acid then I guess Hendrix would be looked at as just another whatever, nothing spectacular as a player, but a good charismatic guy with catchy tunes with lots of distortion and feedback, and dirty playing.

You have a right to like whatever music, I'm just talking my mind out loud.

Somebody mentioned clapton... famous and rich as hell, but his guitar playing is as basic as first grade math.

16. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I do know he studied under Segovia,( I do not think it was a long time ,if I remember its where he studied theory)when the name Segovia was mentioned by the music studio that employed Al I was like ''who is he''.It is common knowledge among others like Via and Sach who are also locals to the island "Long Island".

I didn't even know who Al was but I was a guitar major in college at the time and went to a place called Music Emporium in North Bellmore New York ....Note this was when I was 22 Im now 38 thats a while ago.

I dont have any documents etc "but" I do remember reading Segovia and Satriani (this name I knew)in his credentials when I was signing up for my lessons.It was about a year later Al split and went to tour w/ Alice Cooper on the "TRASHED" tour.(I'm not an Alice Cooper fan "before my time)The last I saw Al was a few years ago and he was working with the Transiberian Orchesta.

You can probably do a history search on Al online I'm sure his experience (like everything else these days) is a matter of tappin' on a keybooard thats online.

MY355

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    If he did, then he was a very very lucky guy and an ultimate experience. It seems like it was a seminar at a music college. By the way I forgot to tell that I know who Pitrelli is and saw him perform some with Megadeth after Marty Friedman left, he was playing Friedman solos, but didn't sound as good.

18. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    Malmsteen did have an ego, but this was when he came out a very long time ago and he had the right for it. He has acted very humble since the early 90s and today he is down to earth.

An EGO is one thing but it was way beyond that...

I remember being at a club called SPIT on Long Island and going to watch Malmsteen .I witnessed him HURL his guitar in a rage at his roadie the roadies back of his knees buckled as he had made the mistake of tossing a slightly out of tune guitar to Yngwie.Thios guy could not get up and they picked him up and ambulenced him out.The look on Yngwie face said it all .I was there.The entire show stopped and they almost cancelled the show.Sure there were some contributing factors (the power went down earlier and caused a delay).
    Now it was time for autographs.(after the show)........my music partener(Mike) in school walked up ,I was right behind him.Mike says humbly " Yngwie I love your music and I think your the greatest" Yngwie says "DOESNT EVERONE??" At this point I'm done.I walked off the line as did the 4 or 5 others that heard him. I am never star struck ever again they are people.

Don't get me wrong his guitar work is amazing .I even still listen and practice and play his stuff for exercise.But know matter how good he is there is NO excuse for his behavior .

As far as he's down to earth now probably so ,after he stopped all the coke he was on and probably sobered up he has most likely made his ammends to many .Good for him thank God.Because the way he was was truly horrible in the 80's.

MY355

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    More wanna be Blackmore antics.

20. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

I curious what are your credentials??

And where would you be forming your conclusions based on what experience that you have??

Dont take this as a dig but youve got some pretty abstract convictions.It make me wonder if I were speaking to someone of the caliber to claim critic.Lets say Vai or Sach .

As far as difficulty to play w/ Zack indeed other than his right hand picks EVERYTHING just as Yngwie does of course other than his arpegio sweeps(which I do love)

MY355

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A friend of mine who plays keyboards was hanging out with Yngwies band Rising force back around '88 and my friends girlfriend told Yngwie "hey you played great tonight" and Yngwie replied "so you play guitar?" and said "me, no" and then he says "so what the f ck do you know" and he threw his beer at her chest. I wasn't there, but this was what they told me the day after.

Carefull with Darth, he is got a thing for Blackmore.

22. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

This I would agree with.
    Marty was amazing but not my style.
    Al gave Dave a chance and the album (CD) was great but Dave put his fist through another wall and ended that gig.

Dave Mustaine is one of our AZ locals as is Al Cooper.Personally I have heard horrible things about Dave Mustaine (much like Yngwie) but I was introduced to Dave at his home in Scottsdale AZ He was beyond descent to me.
    He took out a significant amount of his time to help me find a cash machine (figuritively speaking)

F'in booze and drugs screw all these guys up.But when they are sober they are usually decent from what I,ve seen.

MY355

23. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    RISING FORCE!!

NOW THAT WAS A GREAT ALBUM (CD)

MY355

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    It doesnt matter what he did after this album and Marching Out, these two albums are his best recordings and what established him as a pioneer of electric guitar. But there are so many great players out there that it isn't funny anymore.

25. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    Well I appreciate you being so forthcoming about your "shoe in ,natural" talent .That is pretty amazing and can only assume your being true.

You must be very gifted .These days if I had not seen so many modern miracles I wouldn't believe it.Congrats w/ all due respect.Enough said.

MY355