This is going to sound dumb | FerrariChat

This is going to sound dumb

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Blazerfrazer, Jun 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    This is going to sound dumb, but I need to find out 100% for sure what is termed as the left or right side if the car !!!! I have been fixing my abs and found the fault to be a poor connection to one of the wheel sensors. The problem was on the rear right corner, when I say right rear corner I mean with the car pointing away from me with me stood behind it looking at the rear. My right..... When I took my measurements from the ABS ECU plug I was connected to pins 6 & 24 which are in the book as LEFT REAR not RIGHT REAR. Does this mean I have got a fault Left and Right to my rear sensors or does it mean that Ferrari call it Left because they would say I should be looking at the front for orientation rather than the back. Does any body know for sure?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Left and right is in relation to when you are sitting in the car, behind the wheel. Same with front versus rear.

Remember there are no dumb questions, only dumb people... ;) j/k

3. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    That was Quick! thanks for that. you lot are so helpfull, i just needed conformation before i started changing things i didnt need to, i just checked the front and it matches with the plug so it means that the rear is wrong. Thanks again, i am gonna sort it tonight.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In the parts books, SX = LEFT, DX = RIGHT.

5. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    As a technical manager I see a lot of incomplete descriptions. Your question is not at all dumb, it is the description that is incomplete since there is an implied "frame of reference" of "as viewed from the driver seat facing the steering wheel" that was not documented.
    I hope this reassures you so you can send us the next question, we just eat them up,
    Ron

6. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    This is why aviation and marine folks speak in terms of port and starboard as it implies that the observer is looking forward. So, port=left=SX and starboard=right=DX.

Bill

7. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    In the UK mechanics always say "nearside and offside" in relation to the curb, or is it in relation to the driver :D - amazing how confusing simple things can be. Personally I say left/right from where I sit in the car. Which seems to match all the workshop manuals I have ever seen.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I always though it was this side and that side. This side being the side you're working on, and that side being the side you're not working on. LOL!

9. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Nearside/offside comes from the wacky world of horses. You get on on the near(right side). No, I don't ride and I don't like them.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Using the same vernacular as when working on a car, the near side of a horse, the side you mount from, would be it's left side.
    (I had them and loved them but cost as much in maintenance as a Ferrari)

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Just think of left hand drive cars and right hand drive cars, which side is the steering wheel on? That's how I learned to remember.

12. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    Wow, easy, I think I will use this method from now on! All I need to do is tattoo an L on one hand and an R on the other, simply just match this with the steering wheel and away I go!!

13. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    The tattoos might be a bad idea. You tell the tattooist you want an "L" on the left hand. Remember, he will be facing you. Does the "L" go on his left or your left? If he gets them wrong you will only be able to work on front-engined cars.

Better yet would be to get "left" and "right" decals and have a knowledgeable technician properly apply them to the car. :)

14. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Port and Starboard makes a lot of sense, as Port is always the Left side of the ship in relation to the Bow. And Starboard is always Right.
    However if you’re down in the bowels of an unfamiliar ship and don’t know which end is the Bow (front) or Stern (back), (much easier than you might imagine) it becomes irrelevant (because you’re lost) and the best way to relocate yourself is to find your way Topside (up).
    Once Topside and you’re relocated, Port once again becomes Left and Starboard Right, as long as you remember how the terms Port and Starboard correlate to Left and Right!
    An easy way for young seamen, or tourists on the cruse liner of their choice, to remember these important correlations is that the words Port and Left, are each spelled with 4 letters.
    Even old brain fade boat guys like my self can generally remember that! (Now if I could just find my engine room and that waiting cup of coffee).
    John

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

JTR... wow. And I used to keep the little phrase "red right returning" in mind to remind me of buoy colors.

There's nothing quite like the charming sound of a 6 ton keel dragging through ocean floor when you forget the little phrase...

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I just wanted to make a minor point that, even if you know and follow this labeling correctly, it's still possible for it to sometimes be misleading depending on the usage (so it never hurts to check, double-check, try to verify in another F refererence, etc.). The particular example I'm thinking of now is on a TR where they've labeled the fuel pump relays "LH fuel pump" and "RH fuel pump", but the "LH" and "RH" signify which side of the chassis the fuel pump is physically mounted on -- not the bank it serves (i.e., the "LH fuel pump" feeds fuel to the RH 1-6 bank).

17. icantdrv55

icantdrv55 Karting

Aug 13, 2005
    Hartfordish, CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And an easy trick to remember which side of the ship shows which color (red or green):

Remember the phrase "Port wine is red" (the port side of the ship will be shown at night by a red indicator).

18. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    That's the way I was taught to remember it when I first started working on boats.

19. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I remember a cartoon about teaching country lads how to march in time to the command left/right,

they tied a bunch of hay to the left shoe, and straw to the right shoe, and the drill sargeant said "hay/straw hay/straw" instead of left/right.

More scientific solution would be to place the car facing north and use east and west based on the sun rise/set instead of right/left. An in car GPS or compass would help solve this problem completely.

The frame of reference would then be the earth/sun orientation. Of course purists may prefer to use the center of the universe as the zero point but the problem is the universe has no center or boundary.

Regards,
    Ron

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Boy... I would have flunked out of marching.... what's the difference between hay and straw?

21. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    You know, it wasn't originally a stupid question, but............... ;)

22. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    That's what I thought... I think he's pullin our leg ;)

23. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I would recommend not to connecting anything!

Just lay on your back with your hands behind your head, and slowly raise until your elbows touch your knees and then gently go back down. Repeat this process until your abs are as good as new.

As far as sides go, I don't think it makes much difference, as your abs are in the middle.

Sorry.... Just exercising my oblique sense of humor.

24. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    In some notations in the 308 service and owner's manuals, they refer to the flywheel end of the engine as the rear end and the pully end of the engine as the front end of the engine.

Now everyone knows the 3xx engines are all transverse mounted and the front of the engine is actually on the right (as you sit in the car) and the flywheel end of the engine on the left=port=sx.

This makes the two left carburetors the front=fore=bow and the two right carburetors the rear=aft=stern.

It's only important to remember which is the front of the engine when manually rotating the crankshaft. The manual says never manually rotate the engine left as it can loosen the timing belt bearings.

Does that mean left when facing the front of the engine or standing behind the engine (flywheel end).

One way to remember left from right is clockwise=rightwise and counter-clockwise is leftwise.

Geesh, it's all so confusing.

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#25 dm_n_stuff, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nope.

My wife trained at Quantico, and she can still recite a cadence they used that had, "Hay foot, Straw foot" in it. I can't recall the rest.

Here are a couple of pix so you can tell the difference. :D

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login