CV Grease Tool | FerrariChat

CV Grease Tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pad, Jul 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    As part of my "while I'm at it" engine /trans rebuild, I am redoing the CVs. I read somewhere about a NAPA tool to force grease into the CVs. Does anyone know of such an animal?

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    You can get a needle for the end of your grease gun, that could be used to inject into a vented CV boot or under the gap between the boot and it's sealing surface before putting the clamp on. Or do you mean a bearing packer where you could force grease through a larger diameter (i.e. through the big end of the joint)? I packed mine by hand.

3. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
  4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    here's something i've been thinking of. the back side of the CV joint faces the diff flange and is exposed, on all my BMW's and porches there is a metal cap plate that keep the grease in the joint ferrari doesn't have one. now it shouldn't be an issue, however the diff has hollow half shafts and the bolt holding the flange on needs to be sealed to prevent tranny oil from spewing out, ask me how i know. anyway adding insult to injury as it stands now if the bolt leaks then hot oil gets into the cv joint and washes it all out onto the motor and headers. if the plate was there then only oil would leak and it would be less cleanup. so just a thought...should fit.

5. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, yes, yes, it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

It's your car - so....

By hand is the only way I know of doing it right. Tactile fingers of a loving Ferrari owner squeezing and massaging that beautiful grease into and around those shiny bearings. Wow, this is true love!

I remember when I did mine, I kept yelling out - I live for this stuff!

While you're in there inspect those bearings for any flat spots.

BTW - You can wash the old grease out with soap and water. Much better than gas or paint thinner.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    unless you use redline high temp CV grease, i have yet to find anything caustic enough to remove/dissolve that stuff!

if you have the spare $500, my sugestion is to replace the joints. if one is bad it makes good sense to replace all of them. Porsche 911 turbos use the exact same ones so you don't have to worry about loosing orignality or points.

7. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Thanks for the info. BTW Scott, my car is so far from original that points are not a consideration. The car is primarily used for the track. Next winter's project is to boost the engine so keep up your research.
    -Paul

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Replace by hand and I as well used the redline grease. I tube per axle.

By hand is the only way to do it!

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've never heard of a concours where the inspection got anywhere near close to the CV joints. IMHO there's nothing to worry about. Just go for quality if you need a replacement.