TR tire replacement | FerrariChat

TR tire replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MS250, Jul 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I have bridgestones on the 86tr and was talking to a few people and they tell me to hurry up and buy rubbers because the rear for the 16" single bolt tr are becoming hard to get. Apparently, i can only get Dunlops now for this...anyone know for sure ? P-zeros out of the question now ?

I think the backs are 255..50..r16, and the front are 225..50..r16.

Has anyone bought rubbers recently for this size? if so, what did you get and how much (ballpark) are they ?

Thanks.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    BFD ta sports

3. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Big Red,
    I just bought Dunlop SP Sport 8000 ZR 16 tires for my TR. I wanted to keep the same size (225-50 front and 255-50 back) so there was not a lot of choice. The SP 8000 are more sticky than the Goodyears I replaced and made a lot of difference in corning and at 140mph they were very stable. The cost for the 4 tires, balancing and installation was about $800.00.
    Jim

4. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

I heard about these tires....i was thinking of P.zeros......is there anyother choice? Or am i stuck with only these ?

5. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Big Red,
    I went through the same process 2 years ago. You will not have many options. Like Colo348, I ended up with the Dunlop SP Sport 8000 ZR16. Because I was worried about the future, I bought a second set of the rears and am storing those. My fronts tend to last about 30K miles but the rears go in about 15K miles.

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I had this same problem about 2 years ago. I have a 91 Testarossa with 225 F and 255 rears. I had Michelin pilot sports ( something like that ) and wanted the same ( the good expensive stuff ).

It was around winter time and these sizes had not gone back into production for the new year...so I was out of luck.

With the help of the Tire Rack, I went for Sumitomo's. I know, I know, there're quite inexpensive. Well was I surprised. They drive and wear very well. ( My TR is a daily driver ) I actually got rid of alot of "twitchiness" and the car never felt better. The difference was really in construction zones where you have uneven or old and new pavement coming together.

Tire Rack really had to convince me....but they were right. I'll buy these tires again.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have to second the notion that Sumitomo HTRZs are a good possibility.

I ran them for a year on my Dino 246GT. I know, it's not the HP monster the TR is, but they drove amazingly well. Not just for the price, but in general.

I'd still have them on the car now if I hadn't switched to XWX Michelins. I liked the period look of the michelins better.

My mechanic took the Sumitomos home and put them on one of his period cars. He'd driven mine enough that he really liked them.

But, Tire Rack does show three or four alternatives, and they are very helpful over the phone. With fast shipping, too.

DM

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I went for the Dunlops today.

As an fyi there is also the Yokahamas that are in that size but are V rated as opposed to Z. The pice is almost 40% less expensive.

Nice to know there still is the off choice running around.

9. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Big Red nearly a month has passed. What's the early word on the Dunlaps? I'm in the market for a back up set for my '91 TR and would like some feedback.

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

I just picked them up last week. I went for the dunlops sp8000....look very plain, but the pattern is not bad. Havent put them on the car yet.

11. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I have had the dunlops on my tr for about 2 years now and they are just fine. If you want a zr performance tire in a 16 inch size, you are not going to have many choices.

12. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Thank you. Anyone try Bridgestones?

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Cant get them anymore in that size.

14. GRANDE GRINGO

GRANDE GRINGO Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    PERNAMBUCO/RECIFE BR
    can someone give me the contact details of tyrerack ,as i cannot find pilots here for my tr in sydney.
    i have original on my rear,they are so f.... hard ,that with 15 psi ,the side walls dont even flex ,.but god when i take off they smoke like a cuban whore.

chow
    gringo

15. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I could only find three choices for tires for my 86 TR.
    1. Original Michelins - too expensive and too hard to find
    2. Dunlop - Just wasn't what I wanted on my car
    3. Kumho - The size and price was right
    I've had the tires on for about a year or so now and haven't had any problems. They aren't the best tires in the world but they are better than the stock tires that I removed. And best of all, they fit.

16. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Just came across this thread guys. I work at Coker and we carry the Michelin Pilot Sports. 225/50ZR16 regular price: $232.00, FChat price: $206.48, the 255/50ZR16 regular price: $430.00, FChat price: $382.70. These prices are good until the end of the year. On Jan 1st we will have a 5% price increase so get them before the price goes up. You can give me a call at 1-800-251-6336 ext.256 or email me [email protected].

Thank,

Jerry

17. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I recently tried to buy rear tyres here in Australia and found it impossible. No manufacturers are sending the 255/50-16 size down under. Only option for me is to bring them in from UK or USA.

Hence I have fitted a set of 512TR rims to the car as the tyres in 18" are an off the shelf item. Just have to put the originals away in storage.

Whilst on the tyre topic, has anyone ever found a soft R spec tyre suitable for some mild track work that fits to the 16" wheels?

18. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I second this choice..............I made the same and have been very happy with my $294 set of new Kumho tires............Great reviews in the trade magazines too! Kerry

19. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    about 2 years ago goober was having the same problem but we managed to hunt down a supplier here in oz that did them surprisingly cheap. sorry i don't remember if they are the same size as you mention, i seem to recall they were a strange metric size, werked out to 15.5 inch or something. i'll have to fish through my email archive when i get home if you want more info.

20. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    A year later and I finally got around to buying new tires. Had the Dunlop SP Sport 8000's mounted last week on my '91 TR. So far so good. A very noticeable difference to the older Goodyears I had. Balanced & installed for apporx. $800.00.

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I put mine on as well, did 300 plus Kilometers on them, i find them noisey compared to the V rated Bridgestones they replaced...but the softer and newer compound does hold the road better in the corners i noticed.

22. TestaGeorgie 32

Jun 1, 2006
    Mayaguez, PR
    Full Name:
    Georgie Vazquez
    My car has the 415 sized wheels, does this mean the tires need to be stricktly metric? The tires, original Michelin TRX's, are maybe 7 years old with roughly 1,000 miles on them. The very small cracks make me believe they need replacing soon if it is to be driven on a weekly basis. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    yup you need to stay metric, unless you change the rim and size.

24. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    I was going to give the new Falken Ziex ZE512 tires a try. Price is right, it's a rain and dry tire with a pretty good wear rating... and it's available in sizes for our old TRs.
    Here is the Falken website:
    http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

and a website of a company selling the tires (I don't work for them):
    http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html. Just do a search on the 255/60-16 tire size and four kinds will show up...

My car is still running what may be the original 1988 tires (or maybe one set newer). They are getting hard and thin in the middles. Time to change them.

Steve

25. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Exactly the same problem here in the UK, matching sets impossible to find, got mine from Tirerack here in US, good for a year then I flatspotted the passenger side front and the vibrations were horrendous. So I had to buy 2 fronts Goodyear GSD3's a good tyre and close to my existing rears Goodyear HP Utra Plus. Just found a place in UK tho that has started selling matching sets of Michelins tho bloody expensive ! BTW they're a sposor of fchat :D

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15508