Rebuilding Borrani's in L.A.? | FerrariChat

Rebuilding Borrani's in L.A.?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by drew365, Jul 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I did a search but did not come up with any recommendation for the L.A. area. Is there a good shop for rebuilding Borrani's in L.A.? I had a spirited drive today and the right front broke a spoke and loosened up considerably. I'd like to get the whole set redone. Also, what is the going rate currently?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    valley wire wheel in los angeles/valley area. approx 550-650/wheel. pebble beach quality i've been told.

3. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    A friend of mine uses Valley and swears by them. He showed me a set he had done for one his Daytonas and they were beautiful.

-steve

4. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I live in southern CA and send all my wheels to Precision Wire Wheel, Cork Adams, (217)228 8315 Quincy Illinois. Me uses Buchanan Spokes
    I redo approx 10 sets a year and have been using Cork for over 12 years.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    I went to Valley Wire Wheel once, only never to return.

5. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I guess I've had better luck with Mike at Valley Wire Wheel than Tom has. I've used Cork Adams as well. He does good work.

The only difference is in the details. Do you want a period correct date stamp? Valley Wire Wheel has it, Cork does not. Do you want to use chrome or stainless steel spoke nipples? Etc. I'm not even sure the typical Concours judge knows the difference.

One could argue that all this correct date stamp vs non-correct date stamp, chrome vs. stainless steel nipples, etc. is immaterial since both use Buchannon stainless steel spokes (as most people do these days) which makes the Boranni wheel incorrect. Borrani uses non-stainless steel spokes(their claim is that stainless steel is brittle, which it is). Of course, chroming the spokes makes them more brittle as well. Which is why Borrani makes wheels with painted spokes, etc. for racing applications. They also make wheels with different spokes (thickness and butts), machined and stamped hubs, different rim profiles, etc. based on the application or what the customer orders. Back in the seventies, Chinetti had Borranis made with machined hubs because the stamped hubs were failing on Daytonas.

Steve

6. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I would prefer not to have to ship the wheels. I called information and they have no listing for Valley Wire Wheel. Can anyone post a phone number? Thanks, I'd like to take them in tomorrow.

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Steve,

You are correct re the hardness of stainless vs chromed steel, however
    a chromed spoke with a surface imperfection (e.g. corrosion spot) will have a stress point that is more likely to fail than an unblemished stainless spoke.

This makes stainless spokes are more practical for cars that are used, while chrome is of course correct for show cars.

I've been happy with Cork Adams work in the past. Have no experience with Valley Wire Wheel.

Ian

8. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    Bump, looking for a phone number for Valley Wire Wheel, no listing under that name.

9. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Doing a google search, I got this:

Valley Wire Wheel Service
    7306 Coldwater Canyon #16
    North Hollywood, CA 91605, USA
    Voice: 818-765-3258
    Fax: 818-765-8358

From My Classic Car's website.

But the Daytona registry has this phone number:
    Valley Wire Wheel
    818-785-7237

hopefully one of them will work!

-steve

10. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    Thanks, I used Internet Explorers search function and came up with nada. No surprise.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There's also one on Lincoln in Venice just a few blocks out of Santa Monica. Whether theyre recommended now or not, I don't know.

Yup... halfway down...

http://mog.org/race/apr98.html
    "Trouble with wire wheels? I went to Borrani Wire Wheel at 328 Lincoln Blvd in Venice and am satisfied. Call at (310) 399-9492."

12. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    I think the place on Lincoln is long-gone.

13. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Rookie

Jan 27, 2006
    James, who ran the place on Lincoln, sold out and retired a couple of years ago. I have heard that he has resumed operation somewhere else, but I don't know if that's true, and I don't know how to find him. Anybody?

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sorry, wouldn't know - it was still open within roughly same timeframe I left L.A.

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Valley Wire Wheel's contact info is:

Mike Rizenman
    Valley Wire Wheel Service
    14731 Lull Street
    Van Nuys, CA 91405
    (818) 785-7237

He'll be up to his eyeballs with Pebble Beach coming up.

Ian is correct about chrome imperfections. Also, of course, once you breach the chrome, probably after the first hard turn over a bump in a Daytona, rust starts its evil process on the steel. I stick with stainles steel on my rebuilt wheels and painted spokes for anything that will see track duty. For real spirited track duty, I dump the wire wheels altogether.

Steve