Thoughts on studying abroad in Japan? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on studying abroad in Japan?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 0UTXLR8, Jul 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I've got an opportunity to study abroad in Japan next summer. I would be taking Japanese language classes in Kyoto at Ritsumeikan University. Any of you done this before? Is there much to do in Kyoto?

Thanks!

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Who doesn't want to study broads in Japan?

Seriously though... I haven't had a chance to go to Japan yet but work with quite a few people who have been there and none regret it.

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    This is one of those opportunities that if you let go you will regret... Whatever sacrifice you would have to make is worth it.

I've only visited japan twice (never kyoto), but it is amazing.

1 vote for go...

4. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    It took me another read over to see what you did there. hahaha :D

I look at this as an opportunity that may not come around again. So more than likely I will do it. But I just wanted to hear opinions of the place.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would do it, I've only been once but had a great time Japan.

HOWEVER, you know that Chinese is the more 'useful' language at this point, right? Going to China would probably do more good in the sense of a career, and understanding of world affairs in this century. I regret cancelling two language-study trips to China...

6. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    Kyoto is a beautiful city, great mixture of old and new. And people there seem to be more gentle (could be just due to their soft accent). I've visited there several times but only as a tourist, and enjoyed very much each time.

Depending on which part of summer you go, you may hit the rainy season (June) or typoon season (Sept), and summer there can be quite hot.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Neither is more 'useful' than the other. The world is chock full of people that are fluent in many languages. There is nothing particularly useful about a person that is fluent in English, German, Mandarin, Taiwanese and functionally literate in a few other languages.

The number of massively literate speakers of Mandarin as a second or third language is not particularly small. The same goes for Japanese and even Korean. Literacy of the local language is a small part of a person's ability to communicate with the locals.

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Can't think of a reason why you could want to miss out on that opportunity.

9. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I would definitely want to study broads in Japan during typoon season. :)

Seriously, I've had a few friends study in Japan and they loved it. One friend decided to do some Kendo training while he was there. They kicked his white butt all over the place. Still a good time, though.

You should do it.

10. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the info guys. I have to wait until the beginning of next year to fill out an application. Anybody know the wait on a passport? I have to get one of those also.

I figure I'll have a few weekends free to travel around. I definately want to visit Tokyo while I am there. Any other places I should consider visiting?

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I disagree, some languages are definitely more useful to learn. Spanish, Chinese and Arabic should be priority for Americans right now IMO. Sure, you could learn Maori or Ebo or some lesser-used languages and still get the educational experience and mental expansion, but I think it's hard to deny that learning Chinese is statistically more likely to be useful in the future than Japanese. Sure, maybe *his* career will focus on things to do with Japan, but China is the future of Asia.

Don't Taiwanese speak Mandarin?

12. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    I know all about you and your asian women Josh ;)

Good luck in studying a broad.

13. dreams_and_aspirations

Jul 15, 2006
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The speed that you get a US passport depends on a few things. First thing you should do is find out if your parents got you one when you were younger and you just don't remember (US passports are good for 10 or 12 years, can't think of it off the top of my head).

I had to go get a new passport so I could go to Italy with my girlfriend last year, I did it at the absolute last minute (4 weeks) and I still got mine. I just paid some expedition fee (I think it was $200) and it showed up in 9 business days.

Just go to your local post office, almost all post offices in the US have the facilities to processes the forms and even take the photos.

14. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Just to be clear, it is career dependent. In my area, learning Chinese is only marginally beneficial, whereas ancient Greek and Latin would be a major boon. That being said, in the business world, I do agree that China is the future and a knowledge of Chinese would be very useful.

15. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Do it! If not, youll regret it in the future like i do right now, i passed up in studying in Spain during the summer.

16. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    You'll be huge in Japan!

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Are you translating ancient texts? Or a rare book store/auction house?

18. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Neither - working on a PhD in philosophy.

19. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Chinese, Japanese, ANY language you can add to a resume` is a GOOD language. I'd love to learn Chinese and Russian, but it's a bit late in my career to be doing that, I'm well into the 'over 40 discrimination' crowd.

20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Aaah. I see. That makes sense. Chinese wouldn't be good though (I suppose most philosophy out there to study is Western rather than Eastern)?

21. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Correct, although there is a fair bit of Chinese philosophy; however, it is not my concentration. One of my professors does work in Chinese phil. My focus is mainly contemporary ethics, so english is the primary language. Although for the standard philosophical curriculum, the focus in on history of philosophy, with the primary texts being written in ancient Greek, Latin, or German.

Armed with my already broad knowledge of philosophy, in a few years I will be able to say, "Would you like fries with that," in two dead languages!

Just to keep this on-topic: a friend is teaching English in Japan (he doesn't speak a word of Japanese), and has related that it is an amazing experience. I would think that studying abroad in Europe is fairly commonplace, but Japan seems like quite an exotic destination that should you should try and experience.

22. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

LMAO. I've always thought the same thing. At 6'2", I'd be a giant over there.

23. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Japan is a wonderful place. I'm losing count on how many times I've been there now (over a dozen) in the last 4 years. Some places to think about:

- Hiroshima - mostly for the museum, but the town is pretty cool
    - Nagasaki - another H-bomb museum, but the most relaxed Japanese town I've been to
    - Nara - quaint town with plenty of deer
    - Nikko - just stunning
    - Kamakura - easily accessible from Tokyo and worthy of a day trip to see the big Buddha
    - Tokyo - there's actually not much to see in Tokyo (IMO), though there are some spectacular museums (National Museum, Edo Museum)

If you really want to experience Japan, start riding a bike so you can go long distances in remote areas. The larger cities are a bit boring. Too many western stores. Head to the smaller towns and country and you experience the real character of Japan.

If you have time to go a few weeks before school starts, consider getting a Japan Rail pass. Just travel all over the place on that to see as much as possible on the cheap. Those are good for 7, 14, or 21 days.

Also, go to baseball and soccer games. Loads of fun.

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed! We stayed for part of our visit with an elderly couple in an old farmhouse an hour outside the city, and their son drove us around the countryside and through mountains to little remote towns where the kids freaked out about seeing gaijin. It was a pleasant surprise to tour some rural areas of Japan, because people tend to only think of high density cities.

25. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    My brother-in-law studied in Kyoto for a year. He enjoyed it and found it a rewarding experience. He did a lot of traveling throughout Japan. According to him, many Japanese are unabashed racists. They openly refer to Americans as Gai Jin (a derogatory term for foreigner). The housing situation is interesting. Finding an apartment is based on a system of bribes.

By the way, there is no such language as Chinese. The two primary languages are Mandarin and Cantonese.