South America Trip | FerrariChat

South America Trip

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TheBigEasy, May 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Hey guys, I'm an American college student and a friend of mine and I are planning a South America backpacking trip next summer. The route I am thinking will start us in Rio de Janiro, wind through Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, up through Chile to Machu Picchu, Peru, then fly home from Lima.

Anybody familiar with the area have any suggestions or concerns? About how much time would a trip like this take... a month? Two-weeks? I have heard that Americans should stay away from Columbia and Bolivia, is this true and should any other countries be of concern?

I will be 22 then and my friend will be 23. We are both strong smart guys and I have lived a year in Europe and speak some Spanish. So I would think we would be much better off than typical stupid American tourists.

Also, we will be just carrying backpacks and staying in hostels and maybe even camping by some ruins. We aren't interested in 4-star hotels except for maybe a few nights to clean-up and re-group.

Any advice on neat places to see and how to avoid getting chopped up by coke dealers would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone would be interested in meeting up for a meal or something it would be fun. :)

2. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Anyone? The biggest problem I am having is figureing how to get from city to city. I didn't realize they were all so far apart, and I'd rather not have to buy a ton of plane tickets. Is it possible to rent a car in Rio and return it in Lima? Are the train and bus lines any good?

3. guirodri

guirodri Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Rio - Brazil
    Full Name:
    G Rodrigues
    I'm from Rio de Janeiro. Forget about driving all this way, it's almost impossible as I know. The roads are a nightmare, and some of tham realy dangerous.
    I suggest you to rent a car in Rio, and than get a plane. Or, go driving all the way to the PY/ Argentina board (I did it some years ago). The roads are good and there are several interesting cities in Brazil.
    We don't have much trains in South America, bus lines is the best choice after planes.
    There's not a lot to see in paraguay. I would go to Argentina after Brazil.
    I think a month is good.
    Yes, you MUST be very carefull in Colombia and Venezuela.
    Add me on MSN messenger, [email protected]

Vlw

4. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    Grow a beard, get a motorcycle, write a diary

5. rpantoja0

rpantoja0 Rookie

Jul 21, 2004
    Hi, I´m from Rio too.
    Follow the advice above: forget renting a car here. The distances are probably bigger than you might be imagining and the roads aren´t as in the US or Europe...
    Consider planes, but there are few, few low-fare companies, so also consider drinking a beer and getting long bus trips.
    A friend of mine just back from Peru and has plenty of cool tips.
    I´ll try to bring them to you soon.
    See you in Rio!

6. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Thanks for the tips guys... right now it is looking like I will have lots of long bus rides and a few flights for the really long trips. Any other tips are more than welcome!

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  8. JM Fangio

JM Fangio Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Chase,

Hi to all of you, although not a Fcar owner I think they are amazing machines, and their history has no rivals. Im a BMW guy and would only change it for a Fcar, no Pcar, no Mercedes no nothing, one or the other.

Well, back on the topic of this thread. For the record, I am Argentinian. Being American, DO NOT GO TO COLOMBIA, VENEZUELA and/or BOLIVIA. About Brasil, which is a wonderful country with VERY beautiful places, you should maybe contact one of the fellow members of this forum as they will give you better advice.

From Brasil, come to Argentina, cross the border to Chile which is very nice too, and if you cross the border, try doing it through the passages across the mountain by car, lots of turns, lots of fun. And then you should go to Peru, a country full of historic marvels, almost anyone will tell you about Machu Pichu, try finding some information about, Cusco, Camino del Inca, etc.

I'll leave you my MSN address, [email protected]
    Or you can contact me by email to: [email protected]

Then I could give you further information about Argentina and things young people can do here (you've got lots) For long trips, consider GOL airlines (from Brasil to Argentina) and Aerolineas Argentinas/Austral.

Well, I hope you find it useful and hear from you soon.

Have you got any idea about dates for the trip?

Best regards,

Edu

9. Cochese

Cochese Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rick
    While I've never done it, I had a roommate from Colombia (of the coffee Colombians, as opposed to the cocaine Colombians), and he took a bus from there to Buenos Aires for a soccer game. As you can imagine, it took a LONG time, but I guess I'm saying, you should be able to take busses pretty cheaply.
    If you rent a car, cancel the credit card, drive it out of Brazil, and hope you don't get pulled over! That way, you can return the car wherever you want, and in whatever shape you want :)

10. GoodLife

GoodLife Rookie

Sep 4, 2006
    USA
    I have 5 friends that did that trip from Caracas, Venezuela to Argentina by car. They had a 4-wheel drive Toyota and it took them almost 4 months... They had an amazing time but that was about 10 years ago when the political situation in those regions was a bit more stable. Not to mention they were all south american and knew there way around pretty well. If you decide to do it, I could probably put you in contact with one of them to get some feedback, but I would have to research their whereabouts today.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

11. David888

David888 Karting

Feb 4, 2007
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been to parts of south america and have found some of the roads to be hell, driving will take a longtime if you plan on doing so from place to place outside of the cities. The drive is scenic though.

12. fckupayme

fckupayme Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Lee
    If Peru didn't have beat to hell roads an Fcar would awesome to have there