Depreciation on a 355 | FerrariChat

Depreciation on a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by sudz1234, Jul 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    If I bought a red/tan 355 coupe 1995 with 9500 miles and kept it for 2 years and put on 5000 miles total what would the car be worth in 2 years. I can pick up the car for 70k and it's from an authorized Ferrari dealer. I know private party I can pick one up cheaper but I'm more comfortable buying from a dealer since they have checked the car out and went through it. The valve guides and manifolds were replaced 2 years ago when the 30k service was done.

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Now thats a hard one. BUT if over the two years 2000 355 get trashed and writen of ......then the value of the remaining 355 will go through the roof:D
    On the flip side, if alot more 348s change there wheels, rear light pods and side vents to look more like the 355s...then......the prices will fall through the floor:D

3. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006

4. snowmann

snowmann Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    Lots of variables, but if I had to bet I would say 7 grand.

5. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Sudz - what happened to the idea of the Corvette Z-O6?

6. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you keep the car for 2 years it will be needing a major service again at the time you sell and that may hurt you bad. If you do the major service before you sell your out alot of money and if you sell without a recent major your going to lose alot.

7. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    I'm still considering it but I don't keep cars long and I think the depreciation will be alot less on the 355. My only concern is the maintenance. If I get lucky I'll come out ahead. But If I have to dump 10 or 20k into the 355 then I'll be upside down. It's all a crap shoot and to be honest I'm still a little bit nervous about the whole thing. I'm trying to be as practical as I can about the situation and I want
    to make sure I cross all my T's and dot my I's.

8. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Cant put a price on love.....If you hafta justify buying a F car for fear of losing money dont buy it....service alone will destroy your thoughts of close to breaking even. These cars aint about money...its the feeling in your chest that justifies it..Trying to rationalize a purchase due to potential losses is like going into marriage fearing potential losses...
    If you are in love you will get married....so be it with the F car. If not its just a fling.

Your heart will tell you what to do.

9. kauaiboy

kauaiboy Rookie

Jul 29, 2006
    Kauai
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So very well stated, you cannot put a price on Love. Owning a Ferrari is like being in the most intense relationship you have ever seen, very needy one.
    But the relationship is irreplaceable. I do not own one as of yet, but one day i will.

10. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I have not seen any 355s from a Fdealer with 9500 miles for $70k, F dealers still are asking upper 90s for 98 355s a clean early 355 with low miles will be low 80s from a dealer.

IMO early 355s will be fully depreciated in the high 60s low 70s unless you have one with serious high mileage, with 348s and 328s asking in the 40s -50s early 355s are a huge bargain in performance for what you get with the difference in cost especially in comparison in performance with 360s which are $110k plus for a decent car, I think 355 prices will firm up where they are.

11. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    $7k-$10k less is a good figure to expect. As you say, lots of variables. Remember, this sme car could probably be purchased for $65k from an individual. As long as you do a PPI, shouldn't matter if you buy from a dealer or individual.

12. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    The asking price is 80k but the cars been at the dealer for 4 months and they want to move it. They will take 70k plus fees.

13. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    I haven't found any cars with 9500 miles with the 30k service done along with the manifolds and valve guides for 65k from a private party.

14. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Very well put if you are looking at one of these cars as an investment there are tons of better investments most of us have wanted the cars and lusted after them for years and I am upside down on both of my cars and loved every second of doing it and driving them Oh well!

15. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I think any car that has had the 30k service done and less than 20K miles will probably hit the low - mid 70's. I think you can find a car for 65k thats only had the 15K service and is an off color. Of course not having all the service records throws in another factor.

16. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well said....C'mon sudz....how can anyone expect to buy a Ferrari have loads of fun priceless life experience and worry about the cost???

It's like hey, I want to go on this spectacular cruise through the carribean then onto the mediteranian but I don't want it to cost me any $$$????? Buy a used tractor!!

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, $70K and you're due for a belt/bearing service in one year, per Ferrari. Most people here would say two more years without that service is OK.

You're buying a 9500 mile car and once you roll the odometer it's no longer an "ultra-low mile" car. That's why a lot of people sell cars with 9000 miles or 19,000 miles or so. (And I like buying them with 2000, 11,000 or 21,000 miles...) Psychologically, it's in the 10K+ mileage bracket which frankly is still very desirable but no longer a 'time-capsule' candidate for the part of the market that wants that. Mechanically, it's trivial, but perception counts for a lot and when someone says they have a 9000-mile older Ferrari it has more impact than a 14,000-mile car.

If you keep the car two years, the cost of the next major ($6K-$7K maybe?) will weigh on the price. No way around that.

IMO, you're smart to buy it from a dealer after it's been sitting a bit. The price sounds pretty good to me, and I'd guess carfax/history are clean or the dealer wouldn't have it there -- but that's something to ask about. It's had the major 355 fixes done - big plus.

If you sell it yourself, I still think you'd get $60K or so for it, assuming it still looks and runs great. Sounds like a great car. Plus during that stressful newbie period, when you're worried about stuff breaking, you have a dealer that will likely stand behind the car. If you have a $3K repair bill along the way, though, the only way it's going to be worth it is if you're in awe of the car every time you start her up or walk by. For most people on here, it IS worth it.

I think you're playing it right.

Now buy the car and post pics already! ;)

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Ok seriously, Bullfighter has put it in logical sense. I on the other hand say, spend the money and have yourself a ball!! It IS worth every penny!! What else can one do with the $$ that can be more noble?? (Aside from giving it to the starving people of the world.)

I have bought myself a personal amusement park with my F355 spider!! PRICELESS!!

Now think of this....I do not know how old you are or what your familial status is...but, What stories are you going to tell your grandkids or the fogies in the rest home?? I WAS going to buy this 1995 RED Ferrari that had the major issues addressed and enjoy myself....but I decided on the sensible alternative....aluminum siding! Hey live life...so it may cost you a few grand....you will ALWAYS need $$.

BTW Bullfighter, nice car!

19. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Ok, I have to chime in on this one... If you are worried about deprecation put your money in a CD or buy government bonds!!! But why be the richest man or woman in the grave yard??? If you really want to enjoy life JUST GET THE FERRARI!!! The 355 is (in my opinion) Is one of the BEST looking Ferrari's, and IS the Best sounding Ferrari MADE!!! The way I look at tomorrow could be my last day on earth for what ever reason, but now I can go with a smile on my face having the most beautiful wife in the world, and a Ferrari in the garage (of course I hope the good Lord blesses us all)... Sure you will spend a little here and little more there but hey it's not just a car it's a LIFESTYLE!!!...

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hear hear, 30K in a little over two years, all in a Challenge car! It may put me in the graveyard, my hearing is going, my back hurts, but I cannot get enough of that "hurts so good" feeling...

21. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Don't forget to dot the lower case j's too :D

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thx goth. Sorry, had a little logic attack while on fchat. Hate when that happens. I'm OK now. ;)