Observation - Louisville/Dan C. | FerrariChat

Observation - Louisville/Dan C.

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, Jul 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Guys I thought long and hard about making this post as I know it will have it's fallout but it too can have some positive outcomes. Yet, I believe it to be of significant importance regarding our drive yesterday, future drives and some expectations regarding road rules.

There are few things I look forward to as much as getting together with fellow car enthusiasts, discussing cars and taking them out to stretch on the open roads. That being said, I witnessed yesterday as I was bringing up the back of the pack on our run a yellow Acura that, defied common sense.

Dan Ciezniewski - Driving in a lane of opposing traffic along a two lane road across a double solid line for no purpose other than to ride there is bizarre and is absolutely wrong. Passing over a double solid line on a blind hill is suicidal, passing another vehicle across a double solid line on a curve is inherently dangerous. Dan, are you on a deathwish? Your driving was reckless....very poor decisions.http://driversed.com/CA-DMV-Handbook/dmv-laws.aspx

I was absolutley stunned with his recklessness.

There I've gotten it off my chest.

2. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    yes, Im crazy :p

when I was driving in the wrong lane its was cause the two Prosches ahead of me were kicking up dirt and stones...thus avoiding the debris. When oncoming traffic or a turn came up I went back.
    Passing over a double yellow is yes illegal, so is speeding ;), but I only do it when I have a clear shot and have a clear view of no traffic coming.
    I dont remember passing anyone over ablind hill or turn regardless of the line being solid or broken cause that is extremely dumb since you cant see what coming at ya, maybe you were mistaken or I had a better view or more likely it was just before the turn or hill. Eighter way Im sure I didnt do that, thats just asking for an accident.
    And when I did pass illegally over double lines I was at least kind enough to signal ;)
    ohwell, I drove fast and had fun....but if you think that was bad you should have seen me a Steve leading the way on the second Louisville meet :D

3. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Thanks for the update, Gershwin, and I suppose Dan, for giving his side of the story.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Why didn't you just trail further behind?

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Too stupid I would say. Glad he is over there and not in NC. But hell, even our 22 year olds show class and respect on the road.

Dan, you working on that apology to us all? Isn’t it getting boaring to be know as the Indi F-Chat Clown?

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    this is the kind of stuff that I am sure this club doesn't want. We could invite a bunch of ricers to come to get that kind of behavior....it probobly has something to do with age. But hey...I am getting old and boring, but I tell ya what...my insurance is sure cheap. if you're afraid of rocks...then slow down...or get your car cleared bra....lot cheaper than losing your license or going to jail for reckless driving....

7. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    Dan, i'm the same age as you and I have to shake my head again. Here is a pretty serious thread, and your response is littered with smiley faces. This ain't no joke. One of my high school buddies is now a vegitable in a wheelchair because of his driving habits. One small error and your done, and when it happens to someone you know, you wake the hell up real fast.... Be safe man.

Ryan

8. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    holy crap, most of you guys werent there, or for the first two....in which nobody complaind aswell and were infact faster drives.
    It wasnt that fast or dangerous, I dont do anything Im not in complete control of. I guess its sad I felt I was actually holding back since I didnt know where I was going and was not familar with the area, ESPECIALLY in some of the faster turns. The last section through the woods Matt was pulling away cause I was being catious....then again we both had to slow down and pull over to wait for the rest to catch us...took like a minute.
    I guess some of you guys are just old and slow...or cant drive, idk maybe someday we'll meet on a track and we can see then.

Other than that, Im careful and fast, the last thing I want to do is go beyond my ability and hurt an innocent person. Speed up or get in the back ;), its all for fun :)

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

You admitted to crossing the line for so small a thing as road dust instead of simply slowing down.

You were seen to pass on a blind hill.

You dont seem to care

With you record of lying to all of us I cant find it in me to believe anything you say.

And these...

...are know as famous last words. You dont know you are not in control till you are OUT of control.

10. VK430gt

VK430gt Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2006
    Anywhere Anytime
    Full Name:
    VK430GT DUH!!
  11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Dan, at work do you use a push lawnmower or a riding lawnmower? Might explain a few things?

12. It's tough not to push things when in a pack. The adrenalin & testosterone run high when you are with a pack. I used to ride motorcycles with a bunch of others on weekends. In the end a mishap almost always happened. Maybe it was a close call, maybe someone clipped the guardrail, maybe someone went to the hospital, or limped home. In the end I sold my beloved Ducati, the best mechanical beast I ever owned. I just could not ride it with any sense, and I knew it.

13. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    So Joey, when did your head injury occur? That explains things:)

14. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The peanut gallery pops up! LOL!

15. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Oh Adam..
    Just because I had some comments on some big bulbous chunks of metal hanging off my muffler that everyone scoffed at doesn't mean you aren't good at welding:)

16. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Just kidding. My exhaust tip is still attached to my car and not on the side of I-71 somewhere.

17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    make note to oneself: When Doug needs help next time..."just say...."....

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I thought Danny was subject to permanent silence on all the boards here unless he proved that he had undertaken a PPI of a particular 6.0 Diablo, or confessed to being a time-waster, if not a liar.
    Whether Danny was justified, notwithstanding that, to respond to accusations of reckless driving, his response speaks volumes and admits that he violated not just legal rules of the road, but the sense of safety and trust all of us must share when driving in groups. Obviously, Dan is not mature enough yet to appreciate any of this, and sees this as an opportunity to claim he is faster and better skilled than those who raised the question.

I have no idea what you locals will do with this- keep in mind that travelling in a 'pack' with someone who injures or kills others can put you at risk too, even if you don't encourage or agree with Danny. The risk, of course, is not just the moral issue of contributing to the loss of innocent life, but a legal one as well- some guy here a few years ago got convicted* for street racing with an idiot who killed himself and others when he rammed his Lambo head-on into an oncoming car. So, a word to the wise- choose your driving companions carefully, lest you be tarred by irrational or immature behavior. It only takes a millisecond and a little bad judgement, which is evidenced by Danny in spades.

I would also encourage F-Chat to ban Danny at this point, permanently, if not because he violated the rule on continuing to post, than to discourage bad driving habits and actually admitting to them on this board. We don't need that here.

*This means jail time. Can't remember the sentence but can look it up. Lot's of people to teach you the real meaning of life and liberty there.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is a front page spread in the Houston Chronicle today about street racing vids. It explains how the police are trolling boards to get evidence.

One of you mentioned riding bikes as a group. Back in the day, the only way that I would ride in a group was with a select group of friends. We would start at Point A with the idea of meeting up again at Point B. Between A and B, we all went our own way, at our own speed. Riding motorcycles requires concentration. It is rare for everyone in a group to be at the same space mentally.

I don't drive cars with a group very often. But, when I do, I always volunteer to ride drag.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4082781.html

Dale

20. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    It appears that Dan has been banned from F-chat. I am going to start referring to Stephen as Sheriff Gershwin.

All kidding aside this is a very serious issue. I was not able to witness everything that was going on behind me but at times I was wishing that Dan would slow down and not tail gate so close. Not only is driving aggressive sometimes reckless, if we are traveling in a group or if it is a "club" event we can all be held responsible for each others actions. Here in Louisville we need to establish the by laws of the club to at the very least protect ourselves.

Let's focus on creating the next event.

Matt

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

Typical ricer type acts...tail gating and reving their honda engine.

22. I think you have me confused with that ski bum from Aspen that drives the enhanced super beetle. He had one black diamond too many!

23. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I hope you don't consider Porsche a ricer or do you ------

24. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I believe he's talking about dan's nsx

25. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    It's a bit awkward for me to jump in on this one, as I don't know any of you personally, I was not present at this event, and I certainly mean no offense to anyone of you. But it may be of interest to you all to know that I did seriously consider driving down and attending this drive as a 'get to know you' exercise, but quickly decided not to do so out of concerns for just this sort of deal occurring.

In my past experience, similar group drive events which I have attended involving different (and slower) enthusiast cars have always been a recipe for potential disaster. There's unfortunately always a 'mob mentality' which tends to set in with these sort of events, whereby there's a feeling of competitiveness that you need somehow to prove to the other drivers that you are a superior driver to them, or that your car performs better than theirs, or both. As a result, testosterone starts to kick in with all participants, the overall speed of the "car train" tends to increase as the miles pass, overtaking maneuvers tend to become riskier and riskier, and so forth.

Now, throw in the use of high powered cars like ours, and it's a wonder sometimes that we all aren't immediately thrown into jail on sight.

As I grow older, I find myself less and less interested in 'showing off' or trying to prove anything about me or any of my various cars to other drivers. Certainly I enjoy a challenging twisty road as well as the next guy, but I now drive them solo, at my own pace, whatever that pace might end up being given the road, traffic and weather conditions.

Cheers - DM / Columbus area