Why is Ferrari still using paint for cars exteriors? | FerrariChat

Why is Ferrari still using paint for cars exteriors?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by J.P.Sarti, Jul 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Since Ferrari is such a leading company for using the latest in technology from racing into their production cars why haven't they come up with an exterior finish more durable than paint?

Model Ts used paint here we are almost a 100 years later and we are still using a product that is as soft as our skin, a 10 mile drive in a brand new Ferrari that has a bit of bad luck passing a truck will have its new finish chipped up.

SUrely their has to be a better technology than paint for a cars finish.

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    So what do you suggest they use???????????????

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I completely agree. Maybe future research in nanotechnology will lead to new materials with better properties. We're still drilling holes through wood to run electricity and plumbing into a house, so there's plenty of work to be done on multiple fronts!

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Who knows, colored laminated body panels or perhaps a epoxy based finish baked on more durable than soft paint.

5. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Anodized perhaps? Wouldn't be as brilliant a color but it could be interesting.

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    Not really a paint replacement per se, but BMW is working the bugs out of matte finish paints for their cars. The current issues have to do with bird droppings, etc.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mercedes has been using nanotech paint for a couple of years, at least on some models. I almost bought an SLK in '05, and the sales literature hyped this paint as being tough stuff. However I haven't heard anything about how well it's holding up.

8. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Can you powder coat cars bodies?

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    This is one of the hits I got with search terms: polymer plastic car

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_automobile
    It is currently being retooled for larger cars, and the shop to produce Saturn's iconic plastic body panels is being dismantled as the company moves to conventional steel panels. Besides the obvious cost and assembly benefits to using industry-standard steel panels, Saturn's trademark polymer skins require larger gaps in between body panels to allow for heat expansion. The lack of understanding by automotive critics has led to past Saturns being periodically criticized for poor assembly quality, something that is true among sheetmetal-clad cars with larger gaps.

Though I only glossed over the article, aside from the heat-expansion issue, which Ferrari certainly must contend with, I can see why paint is the preferred medium, as it can be applied time and again to an original, repaired or replacement surface with quite satisfactory results. A single color is used and we either love it or hate it. Strides have been made to make sure more paint lands on the surface instead of masked areas or lungs during application, but...

what's more wasteful of resources for the eye-candy factor is painting disposable everything down to tiniest detail on beer and soda cans, plastic bags from the supermarket... the list goes on...

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Done 30 years ago on the Bricklin.

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We also have an '05 SLK 350 - nanotech paint - Caspian Blue (metallic paint - changes color in the light going from the color of the Caspian sea to dark blue to black with green -> a neat color)- holding up very well - no scratches - car retains a very glossy finish and looks brand new.

Carol

12. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    Not everything is replaced by advancing technology. Look at concrete for example. It has been around since the Roman Empire period and there is still nothing that can replace it. Paint is still the best overall finish on a car. That is why everyone is still using it.

13. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    A new technology other than paint would seem to fit right up Ferraris alley as you would be required to take the car to a Ferrari dealer with the technology to repair it, any massive shift with new technology would change the infastructure how cars are repaired today unless the bodyshops adapt.

Paint has been around forever and its really not a durable product for an object subjected to what vehicles experience in their lifetime, fading, burning off, chips, scratches,dings and repairs with color match issues come to mind, its cheap and easy which is why auto makers use it.

Delorean a Ferrari guy had a good idea with his car to a degree using stainless steel body panels with the idea of using steel wool to polish up what would have been paint chips, must have hated getting them himself.

14. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    well the F430 comes with that protective plastic(?) layer on the front and the mirrors

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    These rubber tires that go flat are pretty annoying too!

16. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    Ferrari needs to continue to develop more bhp and reliability out of smaller and lighter engines, create stronger and lighter chassis/body, improve safety features, incorporate faster transmissions, and better suspension setups.

Leave the paint technology improvements to someone else

17. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Because very few companies innovate for the sake of innovation. Most firms simply give the Market what the customer wants.

You could anodize metal to get bright colored cars. You could light up an entire exterior with lenses/refraction. You could use a projector system or computer-screen skin.

But why would you change when you can charge from a quarter to a million $ for 100 year old paint?

That's what the customer wants; that's what the customer gets.

18. caballorojo

caballorojo Karting

Mar 8, 2005
    I think Nissan is working on bringing something out next year if I remember correctly. I read an article a couple of days ago about a type of coat that is supposed not scratch or should I say scratch for a little while and then push back out.

19. cavallino33

cavallino33 Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    yeah I saw that too the clear coats "heals" sort of.

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    "Done 30 years ago on the Bricklin."

I know that car very well as I suplied all the steering wheels for it.

The panels were not much different from that of the vette. So, really there was not much difference there.

21. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Ferrari a leading edge company in technology-surely you jest. The cars may be cool and everything but they still are as Enzo called them: A provential car from a provential car company-and that's how they are staying!

There is moe technology in most any other car on the road!

But I still prefer Ferrari.

22. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Would Ferrari sell one more additional car if they spent money developing a super finish/paint replacement?

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I know water born acrylics are as tough as you would ever need for road worthy finishes. There must be better solutions, like a tougher clear coat that is more protective and seamless (as tough as the 3M clear bra). I don't think they are trying to sell more cars, but what is the harm in being a leader? I think that is how Ferrari built their brand loyalty.
    BT

24. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    I've read that they dye the F1 cars. How durable is that? Sounds like a weightsaver and a timesaver on the production line.

25. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006