Most disappointing driving experiences (after much anticipation)? | FerrariChat

Most disappointing driving experiences (after much anticipation)?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ryalex, Jul 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    1998 SL500 - real letdown; felt just like my old 190E, only heavier! After seeing those SL's for a decade and thinking it was a cool car, I can't believe how slow (at least low end acceleration - I'm sure it cruises at 100+) and tanklike it felt. Plus, the 1998's interior looked straight out of 1984.

2001 Boxster (non-S) - steering felt nice and tight, and it didn't feel like a heavy car but just gutless. I didn't get to throw it around any real curves though, but frankly after 5 minutes I didn't care to. I didn't realize how spoiled I was by the peppy ride of my WRX. I couldn't believe it, but I got out of the car and was like, "meh."

Early 90's Dodge Shadow - I don't know what I was expecting, but it was worse than I could have imagined.

Worst car ever driven: 1977 Pontiac Bonneville. Borrowed once from a friend when car was in the shop. Floating, road-tracking rustbucket which cost $20+ in gas to drive 80 miles.

2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    '01 Rolls Silver Seraph.. reminded me of my grandfathers '84 Caprice with better appointments.

'03 BMW 330i 'vert - Maybe I'm just used to an M3, but this thing felt like it's steering, brakes and drivetrain were being buffered through cardboard.

3. j3hff

j3hff Karting

Nov 13, 2005
    wrxs are fun to drive .. none of those cars are really nice to drive agreeed..

I drove a cadillac xlr and it drove sorta like a tank wtih good suspension and alot of neat gadgets but nothing really nice

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    2000 Corvette Coupe

Ordered the car new without ever test driving any Corvette at all. I just knew I wanted it. And come to think of it, I had not really been in any fast sportscar before. So car comes in and I take delivery. Being the moron that I was at the time, I slightly ignored the whole break-in process just to get a feel for what I was into. I was young and didn't have the discipline to stave off. Well, being young and inexperienced set me up for this situation.

I slid in the seat and had the instant grin on my face. I was suddenly in charge of 345hp for the first time in my life. Slowly make my way 1/4mile to the interstate on-ramp. It's a go. Engage foot of lead.

It's early, so there is no traffic when merging onto the interstate. But the FIRST thing I noticed...

IT WASN'T NEARLY AS FAST AS I WAS EXPECTING!!!!

I know, it sounds ridiculous. In fact, it IS ridiculous. But here is the explanation:

I had NEVER driven a car with that power, so after growing up reading car magazines and hearing the descriptions the articles gave of vehicles, I had built it up in my head that the sensation would be like being shot out of a cannon. :D

Well, I quickly learned that I completely hyped myself out of the realm of normalcy. Pretty silly when you consider that I just took delivery of a very capable car. I was just too young, too inexperienced, and too hyped to really appreciate the car for what it was.

Luckily, the dumbass syndrome quickly passed and I ended up really enjoying the car. So much so that I needed new tires after about 9,000 miles and blew the clutch at 19,000 miles. OOPS! ;)

Edit* I just had a startling realization. I have yet to drive a Ferrari. Been in a few, but never behind the wheel. Thank God I am a little bit older and wiser so I don't set myself up again. Although I have a feeling the sensation of the first time will not be guided by seat of the pants acceleration feel. No, it will be the satisfaction of driving a machine built on passion. I probably won't be able to wipe the silly grin off of my face!

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Doh! Just blame your sister, man.

Ouch on the Rolls! My grandpa had a gold '85 Caprice Classic for years.

I drove an '02 330i conv't in Switzerland. I actually thought the steering was ok if a bit electronic feeling (speed adaptive?). It was fun to boot around in for a while but not a "wow I have to buy one of these" experience. Hardtop is probably more tight/nimble feeling.

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Oh man, I really wish I could. But honestly I destroyed that car!

BTW, Ryan is making reference to the time when the car had about 1,000 miles on it and I made the mistake of leaving the keys in a place where my sister could get to them. I told her emphatically NOT to drive it while I was gone.

Needless to say I get back, car is FILTHY inside and out. Coke stains in the car from fast food. A frie or two. The works. And then there was the extra thousand or so miles on the car...

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    360. Felt like a Mercedes.

Of course, that was right after I had driven an F50. ;)

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Lambo Countach 25th . I never enjoyed it. Way to crude to be fun, cockpit way too small/hot/cramped. The gearbox was a nightmare , even when hot and the front was always changing lanes on its own.

It was a 1989 car that was harder to drive than a Daytona/275 GTB..

Noise and line were amazing though.

9. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Aston V8 volante (of the "good" ol' days). Was one of my childhoods' dream cars.

What a mess.

1 gear auto trans ? (Ok, joking, but a crappy GM tranny)
    Rain falling all over my Namani suede coat (yeah, the top was up)
    Wipers crossing
    and big bangs from the exhausts when going off gas.

Oh, and a hell of white smoke.

That was a Geneva show car.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    1994 Bently Turbo R, thought I was driving an SUV and couldn't believe that thing was a quarter million dollars.

I should note, this one was not in perfect shape, it was owned by one of my clients who bought it real cheap just so people could see him driving around in it. But still, it was terrible. Big, floaty, not particularly powerful at all. Felt like a really expensive cadilac or something. The interior was falling to pieces. I slammed the door too hard and a panel fell off.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Any and every MB. They keep marketing these as driver's cars, I keep falling for the hype only to be disappointed on test drives.....they should have bought Buick, not Chrysler....then they could corner the market on old man cars.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Lamborghino Murcielago..........dull, novocaine induced steering and pedal feel..........acceleration that didn't seem like what the magazine times were posting.......a real letdown.

13. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    For me, it was the Mini Cooper. I was on the original waiting list, and when they finally arrived, I went down to the local dealer to try a couple of them. Ready to do a cash purchase. Worst thing was the interior, of course, but I just found the whole car DULL.

14. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Countach......

My left calf was sore for days from the heavy clutch and I lost 2 lbs of water weight from all the sweating and working the non-power steering wheel...... :D :D (back to the diablos).

15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    For me the new M5. Not as quick as I thought it would be. A very well balanced car, nice turn in, but the power felt very similar to the old one.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The Oldsmobile Achieva. Supposed to be a competitor for Japanese cars at the time. Somehow they manage to make a compact car that floats around like the Delta 88 my gramps used to drive.
    :)
    BT

17. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    E46 M3 -sounded 1/2 as good and felt half as nimble as the e36
    C5 Z06 -spoiled by the slow revving truck engine
    S2000 -no bottom end or mid range

18. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Subaru WRX - Revved great once the boost kicked in, but felt less inspiring off the line. Steering also felt numb.

19. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thats why Honda will be producing the S2200.

20. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Murci Roadster - because it wasn't mine and I had to give it back!

21. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    1970 Dodge Challanger RT 440 Magnum. I spent a year and a half restoring the numbers matching car to as new condition. Problem is they drove like **** whan brand new, so guess what? It still drives like a 1970 Dodge.

22. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    1997 Boxster - I was anxiously awaiting the release of the Boxster, but Porsche cut too many corners with the car. The interior was full of many cheap, low rent pieces. The engine was anemic. And it has yet to deliver the charisma of the original show car. I love Porsche, but what a disappointment.

1988 M3 - I am sure this car would be wonderful on a tight little road course like Lime Rock, but you need a bit more torque to have serious fun on public roads. Drop in a modern 3.3 liter 6 and this car would make my top 10.

2001 911 - This was the first Porsche I had ever purchased that left me with the feeling that I had just thrown my money away. The interior was full of low grade plastic and the dashboard squeaked and rattled like a 1980 Chevette. The 996 body style will never win any beauty pageants and the car just felt too plodding and lethargic. At the end of the day, the car felt more like a bloated GT than a competent sports car. I am almost ready to give Porsche another shot with the 997, but the 996 came close to me swearing off the marque for good.

23. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    2006 charger SRT8 4000lbs never felt so slow.

24. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    This was the ultimate street dream car for me at one point. Finally bought one a few years ago. Excessive turbo lag, major understeer, flexy flyer chassis and un-optimized gearing were the culprits of my disappointment. Traded it for a 328 GTS and never looked back.

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Be sure to get the full leather interior with carbon fiber accents to get rid of the plastics. The 997 is more GT-like than the 996, try a 996 Turbo instead and put some coilovers on.