Most AUTHENTIC driving experiences. | FerrariChat

Most AUTHENTIC driving experiences.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F1Ace, Jul 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I really liked the other thread about disappointing driving experiences and it had me wondering what you would promote as your most authentic driving experience.

I guess by authentic I mean unique, true to the marque, genuine, or emotionally connecting. And while they may not be the best cars, which ones really left you satisfied, at least somewhat.

2. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I'm bias because I own both:

Classic Saabs, they just have their own feel and quirkiness to them, like no other car out there, and definitley not a boring cookie cutter.

BMW 3-series: The first time I drove one it just felt so smooth, very well balanced in handling, comfort, etc.

Older model Mercedes

3. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I find the old 911s to be a blast to drive. I've driven a lot of different cars, but I haven't been able to ring many out, so my experience is limited.

4. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    93 Mazda Miata. Very fun car, especially for the money. Felt light, like you could throw it in turns at pretty ridiculous speeds. While not a power monster by any stretch of the imagination, you could still get on the gas a little early to bring the rear around. All the fun of the old British sportscars without the electrical gremlins.

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    C5 and newer Corvettes.

Though I do not dispute its power, the excitement is not there. It felt to me, as if I was driving a lowered Mecedes of some sort where the driving experience was taken away. All road inputs were taken away by luxurious power asists, computer stability aids and suspension. Additionally, I felt a sense of condescend as the little display reminded me that it was indeed a Corvette and to press the brake before shifting into Drive. After stepping out of the car I felt good...knowing that the mass production of Corvette is there to greet speed junkies who will eventually put the car out in the weeds of their yard when they are done playing with it.

;) :D

6. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    The first time i drove a miura.

There was nothing like it!!

It winded and screamed. It was beyond exhilerating. While the gearbox is very notchy, the whole experience was breathtaking.

I remember sitting down in the most perfect bucket seat i think i have ever felt, shutting the door and looking out over the huge curved front fenders. The forward and peripheral vision is great and i felt the ergonomics were very good. You turn the key, hear the fans kick on, hear the starter scream and suddenly 12 carbs come to life and the whole car rumbles and pops; Pulling away you start to hear the gearbox whine, and the chains whine and it is like nothing you have ever heard.

7. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I must say, I really enjoy driving the Z4. Although I do not own one, I get to drive them at the dealership a lot. And for some reason, I always love it. I even enjoy driving them when they have an automatic transmission. There is just something I like about the car.

8. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    My 47 Ford Tudour. 6 volt, runs like top, Columbia overdrive, 3 on the tree. Its a tank, it drives like one. It will smoke the tires and break the axle keys. With Red's headers and Smitty's its sounds like no other. Its a transition car, not a Model A, not a 50's lead sled.

My 5hp Briggs-Straton powered go-kart. Got it when I was 5. Drove it until I couldnt fit in it any more. Had a dirt circular driveway around the house in the hills of West Virgina. Dad taught me house to drift/dirt track the kart. Then he prayed I would run it out of gas as I would lap around the house for hours. Learned alot about driving at an early age.

Maybach 57 on 17 Mile Drive. Made for each other. Just sublime.

9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Streetcar - 328. It was an acquired taste ergonimically for me, but the more I drove it, the more I appreciated the feedback it provided. Not ultimately fast, but great driving feel.

Racecar - 98 Reynard/Mercedes Benz Champcar. So satisfying that I told my wife that I could die anytime after that...but then maybe I can drive a Ferrari F1 someday...

10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    A few moments that come to mind...

Early one morning on a business trip, unexpectedly being handed the keys to a Porsche Boxster not long after they came out. The day was to be spent getting the feel of this car and a few others (XK8, Mercedes SLK, BMW Z3, etc) The instant the Porsche fired I got a huge grin on my face. The Porsche guys will love this I'm sure... but we had a lot of VWs while I was growing up and the sound of the engine behind me brought back a lot of memories. The car felt exactly like I thought a car should feel - how I had imagined the perfect Karmann Ghia would feel (long story involving my dad's 1960 Ghia that I've been "working on" for ages now). I'm not quite sure why I haven't bought one yet...

Age 17, a 1972 Triumph Spitfire on a dirt road, sliding through a corner in the most perfect drift I've ever done, and never managed to replicate afterwards. yeah, I tried!

Many moments on a Ducati 907, but specifically a run in North Carolina following a CBR900. Not going incredibly fast but moving along pretty good and everything was flowing so well.

Same 907 chasing the same rider who was now on the newly introduced 916. Cresting a hill under power and having the front end gently lift, carry down the other side of the hill, then set down so smoothly the bars didn't even twitch. Another experience I tried to recreate numerous times but never could...

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My three days behind the wheel of a McLaren F1. Search the archives and you can read the full experience.

Driving my altered roadster at the dragstrip.

The many Ferraris I have had the pleasure to drive........

Kawasaki KX 250 factory bike that I raced for the factory for three years. Lots of bumps, bruises and twisted bones but it was worth it......

12. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    E36 M3 - Great driving experience, everything I expect a BMW to be, nimble, fast, refined.

Midyear ('66) Corvette - I had ridden in several, so I knew what to expect. Still, it's a great car for the era, and a great driving experience. Sure, it's loud, hot, and not entirely comfortable, but still a lot of fun, with a lot of character.

'85 Testarossa - this was my dream car as a teenager (I was 14 when the TR came out). Finally had a chance to drive one a couple of years ago. I had never ridden in one, I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. You hear a lot aobut people that were disappointed when they finally get their dream car, driving a TR was a highlight for me. Great feel, great sounds, great style.

13. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    my favorite car to drive is:

whichever is NOT mine

that's an enjoyable experience which gets lost as soon as you buy it

14. W84ME

W84ME Karting

May 10, 2006
    A Kirkham Motorsports 427 Cobra replica.

It’s loud, fast and pure.

On the down side (to some), there are no power brakes, no power steering, no top, no heater, no radio, no windows and a stiff clutch.

On the plus side, it has great gobs of torque and power, a thundering American V8, a beautiful aluminum body and great suspension and brakes.

'Normal' cars feel like everything is slowed down after driving one of these things. All of the driving inputs; steering, brakes, and acceleration go into cold tar mode in the family sedan. Its like the bad dream where you try and run but your legs only go in slow motion no matter how hard you try to go faster. Granted, a Cobra doesn't have the razor sharp feeling of a modern sports car. It’s more of a chainsaw than a scalpel, but it gets the job done and leaves me smiling every time.

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My NSX gives that experience all the time, though some prefer the non-power steering for a "true" feel.

16. WealthBuildR

WealthBuildR Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Seal Beach/Cypress
    Full Name:
    Wally Da Silva
    completely agree, the NSX never fails to put a grin on my face, I enjoy every bit of it.

17. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    A 1972 Daytona GTB4. There was a special connection already because that's the year I was born, but it was like driving a time machine. It was just so cool to be in a 34 year old car that is just as competitive and fun today as it was then. I still thank the owner every time I see him for letting me even sit in the car, much less drive it. It wasn't a gentle drive either... Thats probably why the car still runs great. The guy drives the s*it out of it, encourages others to do the same, and just pays simple attention to the scheduled maintenance. I only hope that I can find a car that I want to keep forever and at any cost.

18. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Some guys have all the luck

19. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Best car I've driven would hands down be a Noble M12. Fast and perfect handling.

Best car I've ridden in would be Ultima Gtr that thing blew my mind!

20. johntvette

johntvette Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Hurst, Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I was not disappointed at all in the 348! After owning various Vettes, and driving a couple of Vipers, I was worried that I would be jaded from the power. Not the case.

Ever go to the go-kart track and wish you could turn off the governors??? Well, that is the 348. It's like a really fast go-kart. Low, wide, bumpy, noisy....All of the things a good sports car should be.....It's the anti-vette in that sense. Fast enough to out accelerate any normally aspirated Porsche I've come across, so it's fast enough for me ;)

21. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    #21 Tspringer, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Once upon a time having been in the old sportscar business, I have owned hundreds of sportscars of various makes. Mostly old MG's, Triumphs, Alfas, Healeys, Jaguars, and Porsches with a few Lotus and Ferrari thrown in for good measure.

I know its just me, but I honestly find modern sportscars sorely lacking or character or "soul" if you will. They are simply too good. I had a 2001 Boxster S that was simply amazing in the level of overall performance it could achieve with little to no real driver skill while at the same time giving luxury and creature comforts a car from the 1960s or '70s couldnt dream of. But it was boring. When it went (in trade for a clapped out Porsche RSR racecar) I didnt bat and eye and I dont miss it a bit.

Of all the cars I have owned and driven, my hands down overall favorite based purely on its driving experience and qualities is my hotrod 1969 Porsche 911S. While it has paint chips and dings from one end to the other (the result of frequent track duty for several years) it is a gorgeous car to me. It is a very simple car. No fender flares, no wings, no spoilers, no scoops..... no radio, no A/C, no power options of any kind..... no undercoating, no sound deadening material, no trunk lining.... this is a no nonsense all business lightweight little car. IT tips the scales at 2100lb with a half tank of gas. I have the original 2.0 S engine on a stand in my garage, but installed is a Supertec built 2.5L mechanically injected race spec engine that gives about 220hp. The suspension is built with all the best parts to full race specs. Raised spindle RSR struts..... trick anti-roll bars.... brake ducting....monoballs.... the works.

You dont steer this car, you THINK where you want it to go and it instantaneously happens. The steering input and feedback is unlike any other car I have ever driven. The mechanical injection pump fires the injectors at about 240psi giving throttle response that has to be felt to be believed and with 220hp pushing 2100lb, this car may look like a cute little vintage Porsche but it GOES. On track tires, I have turned 1.44s at Road Atlanta. At this springs Little Talledega FCA track event, the ONLY car that turned faster lap times was my buddies '74 bodied Carrera IROC which has huge tires and more power (though I take him at Road Atlanta). 355s, 360s, 575M.... they all were left far behind.

Yes, I know its not a fair comparison. Those cars have A/C and all the power options and folks can actually have a conversation inside without shouting. But so what. From a pure driving standpoint, the little 911S is TOTALLY engaging. It demands your full attention and it rewards you with an experience that always leaves a huge grin on your face.

On higher profile street tires that help make up for the suspension being so stiff, its also a great car on the street. Sure, its pretty loud on full throttle and that means loud all the time since I cannot resist jumping all over the throttle at every opportunity but its also tolerable in daily traffic. AS long as its not too hot (roll the windows down and crack the rear quarter windows and its usually fine!)

I love my Daytona but the Ferrari is a totally different ball game. 3500lb vs 2100lb is no contest. Under 150mph, the 911S runs circles around the Daytona. The Daytona wins on aesthetics and creature comforts and even sounds... but the 911S is a far more engaging and rewarding drivers car.

To anyone who has never owned or driven a lightweight early 911, I strongly urge you correct that error!

Terry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I agree with the Early 911 experience. I raced a 69 911S spec with a 2.7 (7R case) engine. Additionally, in terms of Porsches, I would say that my 914 experience was equally as good.

23. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    My buddy ( a Porsche fan) is gonna love your write up....thanks!

Wes

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So far , my best and authentic driving exp was when i took the Stradale on Fiorano with 4 other Stradales on a slightly wet day .

Legs were shaking after each run :)

25. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Ultima GTR: there is no question about what the car is meant for. The more time I spend with it the better it gets. Just put 295/30/18's on the front to balance the 335/30/18's on the back and it eats curves up. Next up is heim joints for all suspension points and more negative camber front and rear.

To borrow a line from above: "It is a very simple car. No radio, no A/C, no power options of any kind..... no undercoating, no sound deadening material, no trunk lining.... this is a no nonsense all business lightweight little car." The Ultima weighs 2167 with me in it and a full tank of gas. 600Hp and lots o torque.