Ford GT at the Ferrari gates?!?! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ford GT at the Ferrari gates?!?!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bill2, Jul 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaMaranello

ForzaMaranello Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Louisville CO.
    Full Name:
    Robert T
    EXACTLY! It is a FERRARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unless the CS had 12 cylinders. Then it would be a real Ferrari and not a POS Fiat, right? (You do know the GT only has 8 as well, right?)

3. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    The Ford GT has a factory applied sticker on the lower left windshield that reads " Ford GT- The Ferrari Beater". A consultant on this site hosted a BBQ at his home in North East and an invited former F-car owner shows up. Now, Verell has a rule, F-cars park on one side of his long driveway and "lesser" cars park some place else. Well this guy parks on the Ferrari side of the driveway and before the driver sould shut off the engine 25 guys surrounded his car and proceded to gawk and ooh and aah at this beautiful blue/white striped GT ( I was the first one there).....until some one spotted the aforementioned sticker on the windshield. What followed was a lot of good natured ribbing, but my take was that the F-car owners were upset - just my opinion after listening to their comments. At the same time it was funny and serious. I guess you had to be there.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The original Ford GT40 was a Ferrari beater. There are also a lot of other incredible cars that gave Ferrari a run for their money. There are also a few that I wouldn't mind owning that didn't even come close to giving anybody a run for their money.
    This juvenile competition between car manufactures is absurd.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thats an interesting question.

6. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    Great picture!

7. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    Ford beat Ferrari with over twice the displacment engine. Read the early history on the GT40, They could not compete liter for liter. Its like taking Mike Tyson to a high school boxing match and bragging about winning. Ford should be ashamed. Yet they brag about how a 7 liter Ford beat a 3 liter Ferrari.

8. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M

Are you serious? I have to say, after hating this car because of all the hype when it first debued, I have gained a lot of respect for it. I also had an editor from Motor Trend show me what's up after I wrote a very un-apologetic letter criticizing it. It's a great car, and so is the Ferrari, I just happen to prefer the latter. I would really like to see a picture of that sticker, though. Please post if you or anyone has one.

M

9. Nick85

Nick85 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    USA

You must be joking...Ferrari got their ass handed to them five times and the best you can do is make excuses. You're one of those guys who says "well he's supercharged so it's cheating."

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh, either that or he is saying you are comparing apples to oranges in a way.
    It comes back to questions that ask is it more impressive to see a 7Liter Viper or a Ferrari 355 make more hp/liter than any production car at the time. Which gets to the point that anyone can make anything fast if you put a big enough motor in it. You could spend $40k on a Factory Five kitcar that will run circles around nearly everything. But is it really all that impressive how it is done?

I love watching people get upset over these things :D

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

He wouldn't have lasted there long. As a guest I did the same thing in a Renault a couple of years back and was quickly asked to move. No biggy.

12. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    #37 Bill2, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the sticker you may be referring too. There's a nice guy on the Ford GT site is giving them away. This was all done in good fun, but I don't plan on putting the decal my my GT because I also own a Ferrari. I'm a car freak, not a Ferrarist or FordFan.

The crazy thing about this Ferrari vs Ford thing is that neither the Ferrari 430/360 was ever raced against the new Ford GT in a sanctioned race series. So the sticker is BS.

IMO, my 2006 Corvette Z06 has earned the right to have "FERRARI & ASTON SLAYER" on its windshield after winning Le Mans 5 or the last 6 years. But again, what's the point? There will always be a faster car. I just love them all!

- Bill
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    No, you should be ashamed. Get your auto racing history right. The Ford GT40's with small blocks (under 5.0L) did very well against the Ferrari V-12's.

1964 Le Mans Winner: Ferrari 275P with a 3.2L V-12. All 3 Ford GT40's that entered did not finish the race. By the way, all 1964 Ford GT40's were running 4.2L V-8's, not 427's (7.0L)

In 1964 Ford did win the GT class with a Cobra Daytona Coupe. if you don't know what a Daytona Coupe looks like, here's a picture of one of my FFR Coupes: http://www.ffcobra.com/POM/june2003POM.jpg

1965 Le Mans Winner: Ferrari 250LM with a 3.3L V-12. Ford entered 6, yes SIX Ford GT40's in the 1965 race and guess what? They were all DNF's. 2 of the cars were running 427's and 4 were using the new 289 (4.7L).

1966 Le Mans Winner: Ford GT40 with a 427. OK, but let's put this into perspective... Ford had 14 Ford GT40's entered into the 1966 Le Mans race. Yes, it took 14 cars. Yes, Ford had a 1-2-3 finish, but how could they lose? Eight of the Ford GT40's were running 427's and the rest had 289's. Ferrari had 8 cars entered in the prototype class.

Only 3 of the 14 Ford GT40's finished the race in 1966. The others were crashed or DNF'd. The Porsche 906's were becoming a real threat. They out did Ferrari too.

1967 Le Mans Winner: Ford GT40 Mark IV with a 427. There were 12 GT40's entered in the race and just 2 finished; first and fourth place. & cars had 427's, 3 had 289's and 2 had 305's.

Ferrari finished 2nd with a 330P4 with a 4.0L V-12. A similar car finished 3rd.

1968 Le Mans Winner: Ford GT40 with a 4.9L V-8. Ford was not supporting the GT40's, so only 5 were entered. 4 of the cars had the 4.9L (302) and 1 had a 289. The FIA had limited the displacement to 5 liters for 1968. Ferrari had withdrawn from sports car racing to focus on F1, so no Ferrari team cars were entered.

1969 Le Mans Winner: Ford GT40 with a 4.9L V-8. This year 7 Ford GT40's were entered by private teams. They all ran 4.9L V-8's (302), except 1 289. NART had entered a Ferrari 250LM that had promise, but ended up 4th in class; 8th over-all.

That was the end of the Ford GT40 dominance at Le Mans.

- Bill

14. Nick85

Nick85 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Bill, and fantastic car collection you got there. How does the Ford GT do against that C6 Z06?

15. shiznut123

shiznut123 Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    The GT is a beast. Couple of minor modifications and you'll be putting down serious rwhp. Tungsten Grey w/ white strips for me plz!

16. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    The Ford GT has a nicer azz than the CS... imo

17. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Just because he parked next to a CS let us not forget the ENZO! Ford GT Slaying what? 1966- Ford's still waiting for the return of the Ferrari Slayer!

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I think it in front at the visitor center on the right when you first come in. When I was there no guest could park there. That was last fall. If that car is there someone at the factory drove it there. There is no guest parking at the factory that I could find. You hunt down your own place somewhere. I think the people in the picture are coming to take the tour.

19. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Thanks! Any chance you can tell me where on the site these stickers are available? I hope they're still being given out. It's just that I have a friend who would get a tremendous kick out of this and I would like to get him one. BTW: ever thought about some small mods like a pully swap, etc., to your car? If I've heard anything about this car, it's that it's incredibly easy to make absolutely stupid power with them. Everybody overlooks Ford's motors, but they have tons of potential (i.e., '03-'04 Cobras). Thanks.

M

20. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    The stickers are here: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1863

- Bill

21. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The Stradale looks down right lonely in that pic.

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Thats because the GT was just warming up....give it an ECU/Pulley....ahh...goodbye enzo!

23. vincentdds

vincentdds Karting

Jul 31, 2006
  24. twk63

twk63 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2005
    As much as I loved the experience of driving a Ferrari, having owned a 1997 355, there is no car I have ever owned like the Ford GT.

I get to drive it every day without wondering when the CEL is going to come on and I get at least as many people ogling the car as did my Ferrari. It makes my 996 Turbo Cab feel absolutely pedestrian in comparison.

25. Nick85

Nick85 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    I'm really upset that Ford is halting production on the Ford GT. Anyone know how many they made? I really want one and was hoping they would drop down in price but I don't see that happening. In fact I think your Ford GT's are going to appreciate. Any thoughts on this?