Too much home...? | FerrariChat

Too much home...?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by hdpt00, Aug 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I've always wanted around a 15,000 sq. ft. home, but when I mention this in front of some family members (who have anywhere from 6,000 - 10,000) they say it's a pain in the ass, even one of them with a live-in maid.

Am I being delusional... is 15,000 that big. I'm talking a nice big office and master bedroom, maybe a bowling alley, gym, 3 or 4 more bedrooms, media room, huge kitchen and huge living room, dining, etc. and it is basically just some nice big rooms, you can hit 15,000 pretty easily. I go inside 6,000 sq. ft. homes and they just don't seem that big...

So how big is too big?

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Until you have to pay for it, why not!

Went to a birthday party a week ago at a home that is 7300 sq. ft.
    Gorgeous older turn of the century colonial. They have spent loads restoring it.
    Property taxes are 26k. Enough said....

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    In your mind is it necessary to have all those big rooms. If you can rationalize it to yourself then why not do it.

IMO 15,000 is a bit overboard. How many people would you have living with you.

PS For the ammount of money you would spend on the bowling alley, it would be much easier to just find some place that has 50 cents a game or something.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My house is around 8200 sq.ft. and it is way too much. My wife and I both often talk about downsizing even though we have three children still at home. But,in the Georgia county we live in property taxes are only $2800 or so a year.

5. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky

hah that how much i pay for county tax on a 1100 sq foot condo..

what is this county please.. (or in general all counties are like this?)

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The home i speak of is valued at around 2.5 million, its in the cheaper part of town! Anyways i see many new house's in the 4 to 5k size. As long as you buy new at least you don't have to worry about maint. so much.
    I can't imagine renovating a Mcmansion that is 30 years old around here where costs are so high. $$$$$

7. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    You should have a 7000sqft home and a 8000sqft garage. ;)

15K is pretty big, but you are right now a days, the 7k home is becoming cramped, i would take a 15K home if it was spaced out and high celieings.

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dude, a 6000sq ft home is a lot to handle. When I was growing up, that's what my parents had, on 1.5 acres. It pretty much consumed them, most of their spare time. Big pool, hot tub, front fountain, two A/C units, two hot water heaters, three pumps. "Massive Physical Plant" my dad would say. Every weekend we were at it--cleaning the circular driveway / fountain / pool area / spreading bark / yard (had a lawn service), painting the garage floor, getting septic tank serviced, trimming the trees/bushes, covering plants in winter, vacuuming that monster, cleaning the five bathrooms, just doing homeowner stuff. Home Depot was a weekly experience.

If you have contractors take some of the work, it's more of a headache because most of them were horrible and "if you want it done right you have to do it yourself" was a daily mantra. People with 10,000 sq ft homes almost for sure pay someone to manage this.

Sounds like you want the big home. Hope you can pay someone to manage it for you!

9. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    That seems like a lot, but to each his own. I'd skip the bowling alley and go out once a week to get some fresh air. If you make that house into an amusement park you'll be come a recluse! :p

10. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
  11. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
  12. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
  13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Is Neverland still available?

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I live in Forsyth County Georgia which is about 25 miles north of Atlanta. If my house was about 5 mile farther south in Fulton County the taxes would be $12k or more a year. My house is valued at around $1 million.

15. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Hahaha...

Seriously though.. I can see if you're a bachelor and you want a huge house to throw lavish parties, give your friends a place to stay, and have people coming and going all the time, but once you're married something big, but functional is better. I've been to some of the celebrity parties here in Orlando and I can understand why these guys have such large houses. They throw parties and all the girls show up in skimpy bikinis and the guys love it! Haha.. The latest one I went to had a movie theater with a stripper pole which was fun, I got a total kick out of that.. what a bachelor pad. :cool:

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  17. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    hahaha.. I saw that. That's the price of a small house.

18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you want it, and you know you are going to be paying out the yin yang, and you can afford it, go for it!
    Some things cannot be justified. Most people would think spending +100k on a car is just plain crazy yet here we are. Same thing applies to houses but just more money.

19. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    $600k / ~2700 sqft house has about $16k of taxes in Austin :(

20. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    $100k in taxes!!?!?!! PPPPFFFFFFFFFFTTTT!!!! I'm moving to Mexico.

21. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    See now, I have a scooch under 3,000 sqft and that is what my summer tax bill is. Michigan property taxes suck and the gov says we are still under water. :(

22. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Brandon, I say go for it. If you can afford it why not?

It will make you happy and you will more than likely make a mint from it too!

Keep us posted bud

23. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    So how much home can you afford right now?

24. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    go to aspen where the beer flows like wine, theres some messed up big houses up there, on red mountian alone, smallest house is 9000 Sqft i think... and they only get bigger after that, no real need for all that space unless you have an insane garage

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    The difference between a 2500 sf house and a 5000 sf is the size of the rooms. Both usually have 4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, 1 kitchen, etc.

The difference between a 5000 sf house and a 10,000 sf house is the number of rooms. Usually you start getting the ancillary libraray, game room, media room, basket ball court, etc...

To me, happiness is about 4000 sf, with a 10 car attached garage. Try do design the garage so future users can convert it into a mother-in-law suite, etc. Not many people will pay for a 10 car garage. But PRESTO, put up one wall and you have a 5 car garage and a mother-in-law suite. This is the house I hope to build next...