amber tail light '84' 308 | FerrariChat

amber tail light '84' 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308man, Jul 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    Anyone out there know where I can find either a new or used (in exc condition) amber tail light for my 84 308 at a reasonable price. Drivers side..if it makes a difference. Thanks...

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Joe,

i gave Verell my old ones a few years back when i was on a 'replace everything' kick. Contact Verell and see if he wants to sell one.

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I found a brand new set on eBay a while back. Brand new with bulbs! My old ones were not in very good shape shape but if you want I'll snap some pics.

John

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    As you know, Unobtainium Supply only considers soucing parts that are truly NLA.

I'll try to borrow or buy a NOS amber lens. If I can't find one, I'll polish the best of the ones I got from Steven. (Steven, now you know what I've been saving them for...)

Will keep you posted...

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Guys, Verell does AWESOME work!!! Look forward to your reproductions Verell. These things were only about $100 and included the complete metal backing assembly and bulbs when i got them 2 years ago, wow have tmes changed!

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll gladly send you one of my old ones if it will help the cause. Sounds like you need a new one though. If it won't take too long and you promise not to hurt it I'd even be willing to send one of my new ones. Let me know, my car won't be back on the road for at least another month, probably longer.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Try this guy:

http://www.kitcaraccessories.com/ferrari.html

$147 each for either amber or red. Call first to confirm he has them.

9. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    thanks for help and suggestions. I'm following up.

10. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    one question.

Can just the lens be replaced or is it all one unit (the back and front).

I've heard conflicting answers...

11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Given the cost of parts for these cars, one might be tempted to part out his car and buy another one....and part it out.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    308man
    Just the lens can be replaced, BUT, the FPC & Ferrari.uk site only show p/n for the entire ass'y.

Jdubbya,
    The process will not hurt them. I'd need it for 3 weekends.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have never seen it offered as anything but a complete assembly...it may have been offerred as just a lens in the past...but not recently (past 6 years).

14. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Lyle Tanner/Ferraripartsexchange.com lists them in stock on their website.

edit--they have them. I ordered a pair of red lenses for my car, since mine have hairline cracks. I'd be happy to lend one of the old ones out for reproduction.

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Did you get the red or the amber ones from them?

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I ordered the red lenses.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

OK, that makes sense. It's the amber ones that are so dang expensive and hard to find.

18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The amber lights were listed in stock for the same price. About $150/lens.

I actually left you a message about these earlier this week; since I didn't hear from you I figured you didn't have any. I'll be calling for an exhaust soon so save a 328 X-ost for me!

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Verell,

PM me your address and I'll get it out to you. Do you need the new one or will the old one do? Just let me know.

20. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso

Verell, How does the lens separate from the backing. Looks to be all 1 piece.

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I saw that a couple of days ago when this first came up & eMAILed Ferrari.uk. Here's the relevant portion of the response I received on Wed, 2nd Aug '06:

"The indicator/reverse light is currently on order we are having difficulties
    getting these at the moment. We currently have 91 customers waiting for these.
    I cannot at this time give you a date for when we will be receiving the
    indi/reverse lamps in.."

I'm going to call them to see what their confidence is of eventually getting more amber lens ass'ys.

308man,
    you're right & I was mistaken, everything's glued together!!!

I was working from memory, had to clean one of my red lenses 3 or 4 years ago. I could have sworn that I managed to get a the lens apart. However, I just tried to pull most of the lenses on my car apart, & it's pretty clear that the lenses are all glued to the housing. Early Alzheimer's or wishful thinking I guess.

While I had them out, I ook a good look at the amber lens ass'y. It's made from 4 separate pieces glued together:

1) The black back that's common to the red lens, same p/n, with a knock-out center piece that's left in the red lens.
    2)The amber lens.
    3) A clear lens for the 'backup' light.
    4) An internal silvered reflector around the backup light.

I think it's going to take sacrificing at least 2 amber lenses, and possibly & a 3rd either amber or red lens to get each of the individual pieces intact so molds can be made from them:

1)Get the amber portion by machining off the black back. Then machine out the backup lens, and backup reflector. (There's a chance that might be able to salvage the reflector, won't know till I cut out the backup lens.

2) Get the backup lens by cutting it out of the amber lens & removing the backup reflector from lens #2. (Unlikely I can salvage either the amber lens, or backup reflector, but s/b able to get the black rear housing here also.

3) Get the backup reflector from cutting up yet another amber lens, or use one from either 1) or 2).

4) Get the back back from one of the above lenses.

To get a really good finish, the amber lens & backup lens really need to come from mint condition parts! The black back, & backup reflector can be from used lenses.

Once I have all the pieces, I'll have to make molds from each one, & then find someone to silver/chrome the backup reflector. Might be able to make the backup reflector out of metal, worth investigating given the problems I've been having getting someone to chrome plastic for less than $35 or $40/piece.

Jdubya,
    hold off, unless you want to donate your used one to the cause...
    If so, click on my username & send me eMAIL for my address.

22. rocksoldier

rocksoldier Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Bryndon Newberry
    I just called the dealer parts dept. here in beverly hills - $78 out the door - brand new.

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They qouted you that but do they have them in stock or are they able to get them once you order them? Big difference. I've been qouted prices on lots of stuff but when you order it they find out that thier source has dried up.

Verell,

I have a set of four old ones here. If it will help I'll give all four as a sacrifice to the 308 gods! I was going to sell them on eBay but truth be told I didn't expect to get very much for a sad old set.

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    jdubya,
    Those 4 would be a great help!!!!
    How about I'll pay you back with an early new one once they're in production.

I think then I'll just need to locate a NOS one so the amber lens will have that factory surface that I haven't been able to fully recreate by polishing used pieces. Daniel at ricambi is looking for a NOS one for me, so this should be enough to get me going.

I've PMed you my shipping info.

Just to set expectations, the 4 different parts will require 4 molds!!! These are going to be the most expensive parts I've ever sourced!!!

I've got a 3 weekend backlog right now. It'll take 1-2 weekends/part to cut the lenses apart with my mill & pour the mold halves. So I suspect it will be 6 to 8 weeks before I'll have the 1st one. Will post progress to this thread.

Appreciatively,

25. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Recieved my new red taillights last night from Lyle Tanner Enterprises.

What a difference! I called him this morning to order a set of the amber lenses. I thought my taillights looked very good, but now that I've seen a new one out of the box, I had to go for the complete set.

Lyle told me the amber ones are on backorder. I'll keep you all posted. Maybe I'll be buying the amber ones from Verell.