They really work!!! (fuseblocks) | FerrariChat

They really work!!! (fuseblocks)

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinogt4guy, Aug 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The installation of the new St. Birdman fuse blocks are complete and all is right with the world! Thanks JBird !!! You da Man!!!

Cheers!

DT

2. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now change the relays ! (then you can forget about 95% of electrical problems)

3. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Are the Bosch ones ok or should I consider something else?

Cheers!

DT

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If you can find Bosch, of course use them, but any manufacturer relays will work fine. I've been running generic, no-name brand relays since buying the car six years ago and no breakdowns yet.

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I found Bosch at RockAuto.com

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    what is the birdman fuse block? I'm late to the party

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Rockauto.com had most of the Bosch relays (cheap too-$8.00), for 1 or 2 of them I had to go to a Volvo parts site .
    About $100 total for all of them, cheap insurace against getting stuck somewhere.

8. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I just got mine from the Bman this week for the '78 308 I just bought. Hope to install them this week (maybe tomorrow afternoon). After the Mondial fusebox nonsense, having a simple fix like this is wonderful. Very nice quality on the fuseblocks and look like the job will be an easy one.

As far as the relays go, it looks like most of them are the same value. Is that correct? 30A relays. I was thinking of pulling one of each and taking them to the auto parts store to match them up. Guess I can't go wrong if I do it that way.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It will never happen. I looked into it and the only way I can figure to do it properly is by designing an injection molded one-piece unit and having it made. The development costs are WAY too high for the volume I'm making. It would only be worth it if I could sell a thousand of them in a year or so! Besides, the glass fuses still have more contact area than the blade fuses, snap in more securely, and are easier to see when they are blown. I do not think the blade fuses are a step up from glass. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ACG fuses or the secure manner in which they are held by the fuseblocks.

Dino, glad you got them in time and they worked out. How did the track event work out?

Birdman

11. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree 100% with Birdman when he said "the glass fuses still have more contact area than the blade fuses, snap in more securely, and are easier to see when they are blown".
    Glass fuses are the best permanent solution. The ONLY possible improvement might be circuit breakers instead of fuses, but the cost would be much higher.

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    The "Man" himself installed my fuseblocks. You should have seen how cool and collect he installed them. Wham bam thank you mame.

It took less then 10 minutes and i think he was chewing gum too. :)

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I think it was actually closer to 20 minutes for the whole thing...but who's counting? The amazing part is that the car started afterwards! ;)

Windows were still slow though....

14. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Well, i didn't include the BSn part. ;)

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Right, the BSn part!

16. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Steve, in my xke I had glass tube fuses and the car electrics were very primitive and can you say "Lucas" but I repleaced some key ones with circuit breakers that were manufactured to fit exactly in place of the glass tube fuses...no mods...I think I bought them from the JC Whitney catalog..not sure

17. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I want to buy a 308 just to get these fuse blocks.... :)

18. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The Ferrari Challange event was a blast, I had a great time and there was quite a turn out too. All though in the program they stated it was a gentlemans racing series, sometime between the green flag and the 1st turn that went out the window! Sure made for some great racing though!!!

Cheers!

DT

19. junkyarddog

junkyarddog Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    Palatka, FL
    Full Name:
    Kelly Lake

A gift from God. :)

www.birdmanferrari.com