Another F1 vs manual thread... | FerrariChat

Another F1 vs manual thread...

Discussion in '360/430' started by rscholl, Aug 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    I was wondering if there are any 430 owners with the F1 that considered themselves diehard manual tranny drivers, maybe with the 360, before they got the F1, and were converted b/c of the much improved system in the 430. I haven't driven a 360, CS, or 430 with the F1, but I do love my gearshift 360. I'm going to be getting into a 430 and the F1 sounds like it might be fun, but I just wanted to hear some opinions on my specific inquiry above. I need to drive one first obviously and see for myself, but that's hard to do as I don't know anybody with a 430. Thanks.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Hasn't the dealer in your area got one that you could test drive? :)

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    You'll be forced to get an F1 tranny in every Ferrari soon enough. Enjoy the manual while you still can.

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It still boils down to what your preference is. The 430 F1 is a dream IMO :)

5. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I have always been a stick shift fan and I have made the switch with the latest M3 (being a mostly BMW driver). I think the system is very much a part of the essence of this latest M5. I think the same is true for the F430, though I appreciate those who want to row their own. My first Ferrari experience was a few months ago driving a F430 F1 and I was very, very impressed with the F1. Where as the M5 is insulating compared to the Ferrari, the same holds true for their trannys- the SMG is nice but does not give the visceral feel of the F1- I was surprised at how much of a visceral sense of shifting the F1 gives. When I get my F430 it will be with the F1. JMHO.

best regards,
    Jerry

6. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'll be picking up a 6-speed so I can keep my pimp hand strong while driving... :)

7. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    i know that the ratio is something like 7:3 for f1:manuals...but do you really think theyll totally get rid of manuals? especially with the extreme purists out there?

i say they'll keep them. c'mon how can they drop the gate

8. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I think it's more like 10:1 in the States (maybe your ratio applies to Europe or the overall production).

They have to worry about such mundane things as training and spare parts provisioning so, at some point, they will decide that the 6-speed is more trouble than it's worth for the US market.

Besides, it's not like there's any shortage of F1 buyers!

9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    While in Detroit (Auto Show) several years ago, I was told (FNA) Ferrari will always have a manual tranny available for us diehards.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I can't imagine this either. While numbers will keep dwindling, they'll just keep engineering for both. Besides, they've got too many of those gates in the parts bin :)

11. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The F1 is the best part of the car. I had my doubts, but I love it!!!

12. jsb

jsb Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    north salem
    Full Name:
    joel buchalter
    i have an F1 in both a 360 and a Lambo Gallardo. They are great on the track, however around town they are not as much fun as a manual. Also in automatic they are very jerky. My next ferrari (430 spider) will be a 6 speed! Trust me.....if you will track the car get an F1 if not you would be better off and have more fun with a 6 speed.

13. tRAILeRZ

tRAILeRZ Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Raze
    I'm not sure if anyone knows this due to age of the cars, but how's the clutch wear between an F1 and a manual.

14. DoctorB

DoctorB Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Full Name:
    Richard Benedon
    I have always had manual in my cars, 996TT, Lambo Gallardo, Lotus Esprit Turbo, and long ago.... a 308GTSi. I got F-1 in my 430 and I don't miss the clutch one bit. Every shift, up or down, produces a big smile on my face. Feather the gas for a smooth ride, or stay hard on the throttle in 'race' mode and feel like you are in a formula car.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

It all depends on the driving technique. But both manual clutch and F1 clutch can be abused by the driver.

16. Black Brumby

Black Brumby Karting

Nov 25, 2005
    Cayman Islands
    I have a manual Porsche 911 C4S and love it - I wouldn't drive a Porsche with a tiptronic (although the tiptronic gear box on my wife's Cayman S is suprisingly good). The Ferrari is a completely different story. I managed to test drive a F430 F1 and that just convinced me that to get the best out of the car, it was important to have the latest technology that the F1 transmission represents. No regrets at all and driving the F430 with F1 is suprisingly engaging. Can't wait for the day I get a chance to drive the new 599GTB with its new and even faster F1 transmission !