Diagnostic Trouble Codes for Ferraris | FerrariChat

Diagnostic Trouble Codes for Ferraris

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SCarFan, Sep 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCarFan

SCarFan Rookie

Sep 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carlton Geer
    I've had two Check Engine lights on my 1998 355 F1 over the past two months. The first time I took it in for service and it was a false fault based upon an emmissions smog blower. The mechanic simply reset the light. It wasn't the money, it was the time I lost waiting for the car that mattered to me.

The car is running great but I had another Check Engine light this past week. Based upon a thread recommendation in f-chat, I bought an Equus Innova model 3100 OBDII code reader, which works great, retrieves diagnostic codes and enables me to reset the malfunction lights (MILs) on the dash (turn off the darn CE light!), which is mainly why I bought it.

The code reader comes with a list of generic codes, some marque proprietary codes and offers a website to search for any codes the book doesn't list. Unfortunately, proprietary Ferrari codes are not in their database.

Does anyone out there have a list of ferrari specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) to share? I'm keeping a log book for the mechanic but having the codes and their causes would make life easier...

The specific codes I need this time are P1448 and P1453. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'd like this info also.

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    This may or may not help, I dont have a list "P" codes for your car (Motronic 5.2), but can cross reference to the later Motronic (7.3) and your codes read:-

P1448 Catalyst Bypass Flap Circuit Malfunction (Signal/Min/Max)
    1.Check the wiring
    2.Check the valve
    3.Check vacuum leakage
    4.Check functionality in diagnosis mode

P1453 Secondary Air Pump Circuit Short to Ground (Min)
    Secondary Air Pump Circuit Open (Signal)

I found this site hoping it would help further, but it doesn't cover Ferrari, but may be of use if you have problems with "other cars" - click on "support" and select "OBD11 Definitions"

www.iequus.com

The other thing is I would have thought FNA would have a list of codes for your car.

4. SCarFan

SCarFan Rookie

Sep 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carlton Geer
    Thank you for the info.

As I mentioned the databse for equus does not include Ferrari codes, including their search function. Also, FNA or any one that has an SD2 would have the codes; unfortunately we do not have a factory service rep in this area.

The mechanics that have been working on it locally are good, nice people but don't have the resources. The codes just give me a leg up on the problem issues for investigation and discovery later by a ferrari mechanic with an SD2.

Malcolm, how serious are the DTC's my OBDII read, in your opinion (P1448 and P1453)?

Thanks again for your reply....

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    "Malcolm, how serious are the DTC's my OBDII read, in your opinion (P1448 and P1453)? "

On a scale of 1 - 10 about 5, but the thing to remember is that any minor problem usually has a "knock on" effect and what starts out as something small, can end up as a major problem - best thing is to get it sorted as soon as possible, therefore minimising any future potential damage to the engine.

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
  7. SCarFan

SCarFan Rookie

Sep 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carlton Geer
    Great! Thanks again. It appears these are codes for auxilliary emmissions equipment....

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Hey I have been troubleshooting this P1448 all weekend. I have checked your list 1-3. I checked the valve itself by swaping it with the cold start valve right next to it. So I know the soleniod valve works.

My exhaust valve has not been opening. I don't hear the normal buzz/rattle when it used to open. Though I have bought new vacuum line for good measure, yet to be installed. My question is with #4 on the list. How does one go about doing this???

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

With SD1 or 2

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Brian, can you comment on the current service bulletin related to all Ferrari's built from 1996 to 2004 related to a grounding issue with the OBDII plug?

Thanks

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Thanks! I guess a trip to the shop is inevitable. Can you recomend a repair shop near south Los Angeles?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

FAI are the only people down there I am familiar with and I believe their expertise is more on earlier cars.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I think I know which TSB you are talking about. Not much to comment on, some (not all) cars could not communicate with current smog testing equipment that need real time communication with the car via the OBD2 port. Likewise many scanners I have heard had trouble as well. On the 355 we always had trouble communicating with various systems via the port when using the SD1 or 2 so I just always went to the relevant ALDL plug and communicated direct but that never affected the communication with Motronics. Not using a scanner myself I never noticed or really cared about a problem with the OBD2 port.

Ferrari operated within the provisions of "Limited Manufacturer Status" until 1-1-02 or 03 and as such were exempted from fully implementing several aspects of emmission requirements and probably due to that the OBD2 port problem got in under the RADAR screen.

14. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth