tensioner bearing cross reference | FerrariChat

tensioner bearing cross reference

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Oct 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    For a 1987 328 the Ferrari bearing has stamped on it 617546A/HT22 and on the other side 06-2542 France. Does anyone know if this is the same part as a SKF VKM22380

Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Those are both SKF numbers so I'd assume that there is some difference (assuming you've already confirmed that the basic sizes are identical). That VKM number is listed specifically as a "Tensioner Bearing" for Fiat & Seat in one suppliers on-line data sheet, while that 617546A number comes up more as a front wheel bearing. When you say "For a 1987 328 the Ferrari bearing has stamped on it 617546A/HT22..." are you sure of the source?

Have you explored the www.SKF.com website, or tried just asking them directly?

3. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Yes the number was read to me a Ferrari dealer who looked at the bearing

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Beleive it or not..the Fiat tensioner does work on the 308/328 cars. The parts are ALMOST identical. The Ferrari bearing is sightly larger in diameter. I have comparied the 2 in my hands. If you would like I can post pic's of the Ferrari bearing and the Fiat one so you guys can see the differences. But the Fiat bearing does fit excatly on the tensioner assembly..but like I said the diameter is slightly smaller. I do know of a few places that use them in place of the Ferrari bearing and have never had a problem..But I haven't used them. I must prefer to stick with the correct sizes when dealing with somthing as critical as a timing system.

5. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    If possible I would be interested in seeijng the two together. The bearing has a part number 105206 which matches that of Ferrari UK website and that of the dealer but it cross references to the VKM number

6. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The SKF # that you are referring to is correct 617546A/HT22. This bearing is no longer available from SKF. The replacement bearing is sold in SKF box labeled under VKM. The bearing carries the same #617546A/HT22.
    I bought a few while in Europe. I will check the VKM # and update you.
    If you need a set please pm me.
    Tommy A

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello,

bringing this thread up again after one year I would be interested in that tensioner bearing cross reference. Does anyone know what's the OD difference between the OEM tensioner bearing and the SKF VKM 22380 ?

Best Regards from Germany and Thanks in advance

Martin

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And again almost another year later, anyone have any info?

I currently have the SKF 617546A/HT22 bearing in my hand. Outside diameter is 65MM, inside diameter is 25MM. Width of outer sleeve that belt rides on is 34MM, but the inner race, or inner width if you will is approx; 21MM. Its as if the outer part of the bearing is a thin tube and the main part of the bearing sits inside it, with the tube being wider than the actual bearing. It seems odd that in a metropolitan area of over 3 million people not one parts place would have a Fiat timing belt idler I could find to compare these too. And none of the bearing companies list either the SKF or the VKM number either.

I do not know if the outer sleeve is removable and/or if its possible to press in new bearings. GT Parts has both the OEM as well as one they claim has new bearings inside an old sleeve, so maybe it does in fact come apart. I am going to attempt knocking it apart just to see if the outer sleeve is seperate. I don't know what good it will do, but it may prove interesting.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A couple of years ago I chucked one of the OEM bearings up in my lathe & cut the flange that holds the seal off. As I remember, the races are formed into the outer ring. Think I have it kicking around somewhere, will see if I can find it & post pix.

I may have one of the VKM bearings lying around. I'm running a pair in my 308, they're what I got when I ordered tensioners & belts from George Evans. The ODs are very close as I had the old & new side by side & didn't notice any difference. Suspect the OD difference is O(1 to 1.5 mm).