355 air con | FerrariChat

355 air con

Discussion in '348/355' started by nige1, Aug 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nige1

nige1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2004
    London
    Despite regas & service, mine has never been effective.
    Is this normal?
    Should it work like a "modern car's"?!!

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yes it should work, I'd take it back and ask them to recheck their work.

Just out of interest, leave the thermostat in the coldest position and also put the fan speed to the lowest speed and get a measure of the vent temperature for us, Ideally it should be about 3 to 5 degrees celcuis.

3. nige1

nige1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2004
    London
    thanks, I'll try that & see how cold it is. I was wondering if there was a fuse blown or something simple gone phut!

4. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    mine is "ice cold" - works better than in my benz!
    gordon

5. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    i juist recharged mine and its ICE COLD as well :D

6. nige1

nige1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2004
    London
    I just tried the low speed setting & still get ambient temp. air even on a cool day.
    However I am pleased to hear some owners do get ice cold air....I was not sure this was ever possible (knowing Ferraris!)
    I will persue this & let you know the outcome.

7. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Ok, stupid question I know, but is your "stop" button for your AC in the correct position??? It throws me all the time....

8. nige1

nige1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2004
    London
    yes, thanks, I know its confusing.

9. jabramson

jabramson Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's another stupid question but... I have a 355 Spider that I usually keep the top down and run the ac since I am in so. cal and the weather is great. Will I get colder air if i have it recirculating or not. I know it sounds funny and probably is but I have always wondered about that. I have tried both ways and don't really notice a difference. I'm just wondering technically if there is.

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Not at all. Leaving the vent open, allows fresh air to enter the cab, thats about all. The a/c should still be as cold if its on recirculate or not. :)

11. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    If you are running the AC with the top down (open) your AC is trying to cool the whole so. cal area..

The rec. button is only really of use when you have the top up. It is used to:

a. Increase the efficiency of the AC if the ambient temp is very high. Imagine it is 100F in downtown San Diego and your AC has just worked very hard dropping the inside of your car to maybe 75. If you carry on running with a lot of external air coming in (at 100 remember) the system has to cool this again. By recirculating, the sytem only has to maintain 75 - or if you want less it only has to cool from 75, not 100.

b. Reduce the amount of crap you breath in when stuck behind a big diesel truck or something.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Now that was a technical answer! Well done Chris. :) Couldnt have said it better myself. :p