european delivery | FerrariChat

european delivery

Discussion in '360/430' started by gecko916, Dec 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gecko916

gecko916 Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Hi there,

Just got the great news last week that my 430 spider is going into production. Seems like the car will be ready sometime in march. As it happens I also need to be in Europe for a meeting around the same time.

I asked the dealer about european delivery but he is discouraging me to do this as I am told that insurance and shipping back are my responsability.

I was thinking about picking up the car and driving to the south of France and Switzerland.

Any experince or thoughts on this would be appreciated

2. Dusty @ MVP

Dusty @ MVP Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Paradise, TX
    Full Name:
    Dusty Womack
    I am a couple of years from receiving such good news, but congratulations!

Ocean shipping a car from Houston to Saudi Arabia just cost me about $2,500. I would think you could get it for about $2000 from Europe to the USA eastern half of the USA due to the smaller distance and higher frequency of boats.

You have to consider the time you will be without your 430 as well, I would mentally factor a month to be on the safe side.

Also consider your new precious car will be in the hands of strangers to some degree, and unless you get really lucky then it would be driven, loaded, secured, and fondled by strangers.
    One thought - maybe a trustworth F-chat member could load it for you for a small fee?

If you can handle these considerations I say go for it! It sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I think the memories will outweigh the disadvantages!

Best of luck!

Dusty

3. sobe

sobe Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2005
    LA/Miami
  4. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
  5. gecko916

gecko916 Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Has anyone done this? I thought it would be cool to pick up MY CAR and get to drive through europe with it.

6. sobe

sobe Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2005
    LA/Miami
    Done it with Porsche a couple of times , the trips were priceless . What make it so much fun is putting lots of miles on the car , last time put 3000 miles on the car in two weeks and went through about 6 countries . Driving in Germany with no speed limits and a trip to the ring were the high points . There is nothing like picking your car up at the factory where it was made .

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Unless Ferrari is going to help you, it might be more of a risk then I would take.

Mercedes has a Euro delivery option where they take the car back and ship it for you. I would do that in a heart beat.

8. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ferrari will deliver the car to your local dealer. They charge about the same as the "destination fee" already on the sticker. I have done the Euro delivery twice and the insurance is quite reasonable +- $500 for a month. The cost of renting a 430 to travel Europe for 10 days would be over $20000, for what?

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Good point. If driving your brand new car over there in winter doesn't bother you then I'd go for it. Buy a bra for the car and have a blast. If insurance is only $500 then it sounds like a no brainer. Make sure Ferrari does the shipping that way they're on the hook.

10. Eggplant_Cab

Eggplant_Cab Rookie

May 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Drew Long
    Has anyone actually gone through euro delivery of a f-car? My sales is no help and I'll be calling Maranello for help but would like any first hand experience.
    This is a pretty old thread. I've done the Maserati delivery which was efficient but lots of paper work wasn't done when I arrived unlike the BMW and Porsche programs. I don't mind spending a day or 2 doing the paper work but in Italy, not many things take a day or 2 to do. Anyone?

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Do some more searching on this. There was a guy in LA who did this on his CS and posted a nice write up about it with pics.

12. Eggplant_Cab

Eggplant_Cab Rookie

May 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Drew Long
    Thanks SrfCity, the search engine didn't pop his post up at all with the 1st attempt. Sounds like it's pretty straight forward with a bit of help from Maranello.

13. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    If your car is going into production NOW why a March delivery?
    I took del of mine here on the West coast 3 mo after build started.

14. Eggplant_Cab

Eggplant_Cab Rookie

May 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Drew Long
    MW575
    This was originally posted in dec 05. So he also had 3 mths.

15. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I would worry mostly about theft in Italy and Europe. I have read about Ferrari's being stolen from "secured" hotel parking garages and nobody knew anything.

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Thanks, Drew