refinishing 308 wheels | FerrariChat

refinishing 308 wheels

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308man, Aug 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    My winter project is going to be refinishing my set of wheels. My concern is with using spray paint applications (Griots included) is you don't seem to get the 'hardness' of a professional spray and they seem more prone to develop scratches, nicks as well as scrapes around edge of rim from tire mounting equipment. I want to do it right with all the tedious prep work. Suggestions?

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    After you prep and paint them with the proper silver out of a spray can, you can use a catalyzed urethane clearcoat, just like the clearcoat on newer cars. It will cost you about $50-$70 for a quart of it with catalyst/hardener, though, and you'll have to have use an air compressor and sprayer (a touch-up size $20 sprayer from Harbor Freight is sufficient).

3. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I refinished mine last May using what I call a "hybred" method. I bought Griot's wheel refinishing kit and following the directions to the letter, taking a lot of time on the Prep of the wheels, for the paint, it seems to me, Griot's isn't the correct silver color (too bright compared to original) and I wanted the wheels as close to original as possible. I went to Carquest and had the original paint color mixed and sprayed them with a touch-up gun and my 7hp compressor. They came out great. I didn't put clear on them as that was not original either. If chipping becomes a problem, I'll re-do them and use clear. Since I only drive about 1500 miles/yr I don't expect chipping or scratches to be an issue for a while.

4. 308man

308man Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe Calareso
    is there a paint code for 308 wheels or do I need to bring a wheel to have paint matched?

Also..I thought the wheels had orig clearcoat..

5. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    308man- The color is fer101c originally made by Glassurit I think. The auto paint store will have a cross to the brand of paint they use.
    Tell them it is for a Ferrari and what year you have, I was told the QV's at least (83-85) did NOT have a clear coat on top of the paint. There is a lot of clear in the paint though.
    I can't speak for the earlier cars(about the clearcoat)
    but you can do a search of the old threads and find a ton of info about wheel refinishing(including a detailed one by me with photos)
    Good luck, it's a great project and one you'll enjoy everytime you look at your car.

6. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #6 rolindsay, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 308GTB is 101C and I know the formula - thanks to a paint shop. It is ultra fine aluminum metallic in a clear base! There is NO pigment in the paint! Cool eh?

Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login