The new GTI has arrived | FerrariChat

The new GTI has arrived

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by hwyengr, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #1 hwyengr, Feb 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My first car was an Alpine White '86 GTI, and I loved every second of it. It was peppy (despite the 10.1sec 0-60, thanks to the necessary shift to 3rd), light, and tossable.

While that little car has gone to the Autobahn in the sky, it seems like its proper successor has finally arrived. I'm seriously thinking about getting a new GTI, but can't decide between the classic 3-door, or the first-time-in-the-US 5-door, coming in July. I went out to a VW dealer this weekend, and the 3-door looks much better in person. It doesn't seem quite as bulbuous. The car already weighs a lot, but the 5-door would weigh even more.

Opinions?

And manual, or DSG? :)

I'm definitely getting the plaid seats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think i would loose my license in that little goodie in no time. that car looks like it wants to do a constant tribute to the bilstien cup racing of the good olld days!

i would be carrying the inside rear wheel at each opportunity!

have fun.

3. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    That is a HOT car! I love em too :)

4. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The commericals VW has put out for the GTI are funny. I would get the 3 door because as you said its already heavy as it is.

5. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Ever since i drove one a year ago in the UK i swore i would buy one as soon as they're available in the states.

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    It looks pretty good!! 3-door is the way to go.

7. AMDBMan

AMDBMan Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Hartford
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm definitely a fan of the new GTI. I'm really interested in the R34 that they're bringing to America. The R32 is already out in Europe, but when it comes to America it'll be powered by a 3.4 liter V6 from the Passat (hence the name-change to R34 from R32). I have no clue when it's coming over here, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any news on it. I think you should consider paying the extra money and getting the R.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    "Get to know your fast."

9. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    You mean the new 3.6 from the Passat.. It will be the R36, a Jetta R36 is also in the works.

The new 3.6 will make 300+hp in the 2007 Audi TT.. but I doubt we'll see that much power in the Golf, probably the same 280hp as the Passat motor.

A new Golf R wont be out for atleast another year. If we're lucky I'd say plan for Summer 2007.

If you want more power than the 2.0T GTI.. wait until the GTI VR6, 3.2 VR6 with 240hp.. dont know its release though. Or you can buy the APR Chip for the 2.0T and have 250hp/300tq (93 octane).

10. scuderia15

scuderia15 Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    i love the car. saw a black one in new york the other day. really is quite good looking in its simplicity.

11. AMDBMan

AMDBMan Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Hartford
    Full Name:
    Will

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I drove the GTI w/DSG, and it is a great little car-5 door is definitely on my consider list if I can wait 'til June; otherwise GLI.....

With a chip to go to 240-250 hp, and some lowering springs, you can't lose with this car. From what I've heard the 2.0T has been reliable thus far....

13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I went and looked at the new GTI tonight. It looked great. I am not usually a big fan of white cars but the GTI looks good in it. And yes if I get one I will pass on the leather and go with the plaid seats and the 18" wheels. I owned a 98 GTI VR6 and I loved it. I know it wasn't the best handling car but the engine was so smooth. I have driven a DSG equipped TT and the transmission is fabulous. If you get one I would strongly suggest getting the DSG transmission. I plan on driving one soon. I could have driven one tonight but I didn't have time. I will go soon to drive that and the new Cayman S.

14. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I went to another dealer tonight, who had many, many more GTIs on the lot, and let me drive the manual and the DSG.

Its amazing how quickly you can re-calibrate your senses to another car from your usual daily driver.

At first, I thought the GTI was much slower than my Mustang. At least, that was until I drove my car home. The Mustang isn't faster, its just louder. The GTI is a little too quiet, and really masks the sensation of speed. Accelerating onto a divided 4-lane highway (45 mph limit), I was shocked to see I was doing 80. When I get one, it definitely needs a new intake, I can hardly hear the turbo.

I drew a "Jesus Christ" out of the dealer coming out of an expressway on-ramp cloverleaf at about 75-80. This car is as stable as anything I've driven (not saying much, but still). I just felt the back begin to drift out (A bit surprising, given FWD) but it easily stepped back into line.

I was really impressed with the quick shifts of the DSG, but I'm too much of a curmudgeon to give up my 3rd pedal. I must have stabbed for the clutch 3 times while coming to stops(usually I won't do that in an auto, but subconciously I knew the DSG was a manual at heart). Plus, for some reason, it would automatically shift from 6th to 4th on the highway with no additional throttle. Couldn't figure that one out.

The only serious problem is that nobody seems to have a white "pacakge zero" car with 18" wheels, and obviously no dealer wants to take the 18s off of a loaded car, to put on my stripper.

I'm going to miss the rumble of the V-8, but the GTI is just a much better car. I'm not looking forward to haggling with the dealer. But, my Fast is happy tonight. And, VW will mail a Fast to anyone who buys a GTI! I don't think I can wait for the 5-door, and I really can't wait for the R. And I'd rather not spend the add'l 10Gs on the R, either. Though, I'm sure that will be a great car.

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Very hot little car. Miles better looking than the Jetta, which turned out looking like the last Civic.

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Personally I prefer the manual but as a daily driver in the NYC area and more importantly, with a wife who can't drive a manual, the DSG is a no-brainer.

I'm thinking white or silver stripper car. 18 inch wheels look nice but for the Third World streets I drive on I foresee bent rims in my future. Apr chip and lowering springs are all the car really needs.

"Get that Fast under control, son".

17. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    I have a stripper MK III gti (x flow) with a sachs Sporting set, spherical control arm bushings, and big sways. It is an AMAZING everyday day. It makes everyday that much better :) AND IT NEVER BREAKS!

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Any updates here? Did any of you get the GTI?

I went by and drove one last night and absolutely had a ball. I enjoyed this little hatchback FAR more than the Mini Cooper S.

Anyone know what the reliability is like on the DSG trans?

19. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    I drove a new GTI on Saturday. It was white, plaid seats, DSG. It was fun, but ....

1) The Air Conditioning is a major problem on these cars (and the Audi A3). Let VWAG sort this out before you buy. People are reporting multiple dealer visits to get charges and replacement condensers. The car I test drove had AC that was barely even cold & the 25 minute drive still didn't get the cabin cold. Read some GTI forums and see all the people with AC issues. Working AC that blows COLD is very important for me in a daily driver.

2) The 2.0T is a nice engine, but there is a flat spot off idle when matched to DSG. When at a light, and sitting it 1st gear, you try to accelerate away and the DSG clutch releases slowly and the car bogs seriously. It's rather annoying. If you try to overcompensate for the bog (not sure if it's 50% turbo lag and 50% DSG issue), you'll spin and chirp your front tires. It's a reall annoyance. Adding a chip will probably only enhance this problem.

3) The car does give the sensation that you're not going as fast as you are. Part of that is because of the smooth ride and stable suspension ... but ... it is commonly known now that VW is off with their speedometers. People are reporting seeing 80 mph on the speedo when their NAV unit shows a more realistic speed of maybe 73 mph. That's a significant disparity. There is, as of yet, no fix for the calibration problem.

4) Others have reported some random check lights on the dash. Typical VW stuff. Annoying, but not really serious.

5) Word is that special edition vehicles may come out for '08 in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the GTI in the U.S. The 30th anniversary cars are coming out this year in Europe. If you want cool trim and maybe a cool color, you might just be better off waiting.

I would like to buy a 5 door GTI with DSG as my daily driver, but I think I should wait. Too many improvements are needed and too many bugs need to be worked out.

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I'm still considering the 5-door.

Edit: But I have to get a PPI six states over first.

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    3 or 5 door its all good. The new GTi is a hot little car. I saw a "gang" of them cruiseing around a little while ago. New and Old. I hope VW decides to modify the bumpers a bit on the R32 and ship them to Canada.

22. scuderia15

scuderia15 Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    BUY ONE- I've got a package zero Black manual 3 door and absolutely love it. Its an incredible little machine. The handling is great and the engine isreally torquey
    and really smooth. GET ONE

23. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Actually, I ended up buying a MINI Cooper S. As soon as I pulled out of the dealership on my first Mini test drive, I knew that I was going to buy the car. BMW did a great job tuning the acoustics, the supercharger/exhaust combo was much more enjoyable than the GTI's relative silence. I'm not a big aftermarket person, so I'd rather get something decent out of the box. Not to mention, I was much happier with the Mini dealer's "Here's the keys. Be back in half-an-hour" attitude.

The GTI is a great car, its just a little too refined and smooth for me. Its definitely faster in a straight line (and probably the corners, too) than the Mini, but I preferred the stiffer Mini suspension.

Now that Mini has scrapped the supercharger in '07 for a GTI-esque silent turbo, I might re-evaluate my options in the future, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buried in my current Mini.

I do miss the plaid seats. Cloth was discontinued for the Coopers for the period I could re-configure my order, so I was stuck with the plastic seats. Maybe I could find an upholsterer to fix my problem.

24. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Right now is a great time to buy a GTI since they're bringing in the new Rabbit's. I tested a red 3door with plaid seats. Its exactly what I want. THe DSG is fantastic though I worry about reliability (electronics/computers equal trouble)

25. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    To those who are holding out for the R32/36 - whatever you're getting in the states, you ought to go try a GTi - over here they have the better reputation! Many believe that the added weight of the V6 makes the R32 very nose-heavy and consequently it experiences more understeer than the more agile GTi. I also know a VW salesman who's driven both extensively on road and track and he says he'd take the GTi every time - and no he wasn't trying to sell me one (he's a friend who I've known since childhood).

Surprised how many of you are wanting the plaid (or tartan as we call it) seats - over here the optional leather is by far the more popular option, despite the additional cost.

On the point about plastic seats in Mini Coopers - over here they come as standard with cloth with leather as an option - don't know if your plastic is actually genuine leather, but if my Cooper S is anything to go by, you'd be forgiven for thinking it is - the leather really isn't what you'd expect of a BMW product - many people get their cars re-upholstered over here with some rather natty leather/alcantara combos.