Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salegosse

salegosse Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    French Riviera
    Full Name:
    Julien
  2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's the blue one too - beautiful. If you get in, make sure to take lots of pictures and send them my way ;)

3. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    chilidog i would love to hear how you came upon such a list. I never want the stories to end i read from start to end and it went by to quickly. I dont understand this kind of spending and no one ever will. I still get impressed by people who can afford a f430. Let alone someone who can pay so much for a Mclaren F1 LM. That kind of wealth is beyond my wildest dreams, and this man owns three and then thousands of other cars many exceeding the value. WOW is all i can say.4 57 1036 N / 114 50 1867 E

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    What percentage complete is this list?? Obviously, since it didnt list the Cizetas or others it isnt quite everything. Or is this only one garage?? Anyone have any ideas?? Has anyone counted the total number of cars on this list??

Patrick

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe this was made before all the **** hit the fan. The Dauers were all taken out after a few years. I believe this list is of all cars. Note in some they are on UK plates. These cars were kept in the UK and some cars were also kept in the US (Beverly Hills etc)

rajaramsivasankar likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Do you know who owns all the Dauers now? Is the one at KS a former Brunei one since the F50 was also going there?

7. strfml

strfml Rookie

Apr 23, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    H.W.
    the list refers to all cars that were at house no 5, it does not represent the whole collection

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

I don't believe so. I have an article somewhere about the cars, i'll try to find it

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    brunei greatest source of wealth has been oil.

i am uncertain how much of the original reserves still exist.

the talk of the car collections (although lingering here) stopped years ago, which is why you don't see much of anything in the last 6-8 years. most of the "custom" cars were comissioned by prince jefri, the sultan's brother. after receiving very poor financial advice, the brunei money was heavily invested in very risky financial deals, most of which fell through. at that point, most of the wealth of brunei was destroyed.

given the recent increase in oil prices, i do not know of the current (read in the last several months) status of the brunei wealth.

given this, many of the cars that are listed have been sold or are being sold, slowly but surely. keep in mind the previous brunei philosophy was to through them into the ocean. the brunei government used it's assets as collateral for many ventures. when the sultan went into receivership several years back, many assets were frozen and/or seized. clearly, the sultan wasn't living in poverty, but jefri's car collection was no longer what it had been and was no longer growing.

i have yet to see any credible evidince that the sultan several enzo's or even one for that matter. the best evidence of the turmoil is the 456 venice projects that have left brunei, or the fx project cars that have left brunei, or the............ that have left brunei.

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

You mean the cars that never made it to Brunei. The FX and the 456s that are roaming outside of Brunei never made it to Brunei.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004

Oil production hasn't changed too much for them: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Brunei/Oil.html

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Partially Correct. At least 1 of each of the following cars has come out of Brunei

RHD F50
    456 Venice Estate (The yellow one)
    Bentley Dominators (At least 2 actually)
    Bentley Java (estate, coupe, conv.)
    Aston AM3
    Aston AM4
    Bentley B's (can't remember the names off the top of my head, i think they were B2's or B4's. I've seen pics of a red one, a bare metal one, a green one, a black one, the matte black one made to look like the stealth bomber)
    Lister Jag XK
    Porsche 959
    McLaren F1 (yellow one up for auction soon and possibly also the GT. We can hope)

The list goes on

Many more that we will probably never know about

13. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    It would be amazing if he could sell of MOST of hist cars that he doesn't drive, wouldn't it?

14. zx4000

zx4000 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    the truly amazing of amazing, unbeliveable. To my acknowledge, high mirror two Mclaren F1s included in the Mclaren list, just yellow one escaped as someone said.

Whereas, what is the SSA MUSSO TDI NONE KPTF0BADSUP123694? Chilldog can confirm this? looks like Korea car-maker, Ssang Young Musso? not sure..

And everyone including me seem to wonder how you found out this, which is also Mystery adding wonder.

Anyway thanks..enjoyable definitely.

15. chilidog

chilidog Karting

Aug 11, 2006
    i think they were all rhd

16. chilidog

chilidog Karting

Aug 11, 2006
    Yeah sorry about that i was thinking of the 962 dauers
    and yes the floor was sensitive, as you walked up to the car ,the car would be lit up and a flat screen tv would play the moment the car won the world title.

17. chilidog

chilidog Karting

Aug 11, 2006

18. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Very occasionally one of his cars will come up for sale usually in the UK. The last car I know of was about 4 months ago, it was an Alpina B12 5.7 which is a tuned version of the BMW Motorsport 850CSi capable of almost 190mph. His was one of only 4 rhd cars and had many unique personal features, there were only 57 made.
    Steve

19. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    I have heard that a broker was in the middle of all transactions when the cars was purchased and that he has a haul of similar vehicles that were given to him at the time by Jefri as payment for services.

I believe this second haul of cars to be in Malaysia.

Can anyone confirm this or refute it?

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    http://www.maxted-page.com/cars_for_sale/1992_bmw_alpina.htm

21. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    http://www.taylorandcrawley.com/

Those brokers have dealt with Bruneï for a few cars sales. The Yellow McLaren F1 was sold by them to the californian dealer (who have real troubles to sell the car as the car is in poor condition - no factory updates, no services at all since the original purchase. Needs new engine parts. Refreshing the car would cost a lot of bucks - probably around $500 000, maybe more). They also sold a pale metallic blue McLaren F1 that was Bruneï's last year. The Yellow Mc is on their front page.

http://www.duncanhamilton.com/

Look at their RHD PininFarina F-40 (Bruneï).
    Duncan Hamilton made a few deals too (RHD F-40 : one - red - maybe two).
    Coys UK also had a few Bruneïs like the gunmetal grey F-40 (RHD, fitted with sound system, Testarossa seats, new airco and full tan leather interior).

Edit/ I forgot the RHD F-50 (red - full stock except RHD conversion) sold through Coys a few months ago in UK.

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cyril, there are a few errors in your post

1. The yellow F1 wasn't sold directly to the dealer. It went to a gentleman in NY first who aparently got an offer he couldn't refuse from SVAG. Its up for action in Monterey soon

2. The pale blue car was DEFINATLEY not in Brunei

3. The car that Duncan Hamiliton has is the gunmetal car that Coys had. It also had grey interior, not tan. I saw it when it was grey and i've seen it in its current spec and the car is stunning now (although the grey was rather unique and cool, the interior was horrible though)

23. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thanks for that Chris, I had seen it advertised in Octane but lost the copy, kind of toying with the idea of buying an 850CSi but at 55k I am definitely not interested in his majesty's car!!!!
    Steve

24. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Chris, you're right. Dark grey leather, not tan. (Sold later by Talacrest ?).
    He also had (The Sultan) a very special Jaguar XJ-220 (black, custom body). Dunno what happened to the car.

25. kroehl

kroehl Rookie

Feb 20, 2006
    Rotterdam expat
    Full Name:
    Jacob Haagerup
    A friend of mine worked for an architectural office in London and were commisioned to design a house for the sultan (or possibly Jefri). It was to be an exact replica of a French chateau, I believe to be built in Brunei. Whether it was ever built I don't know since this was around 1998 I believe.

One of the partners in the office was invited to a party in Singapore, thrown by the sultan (or Jefri) at Raffles I believe. After the banquet all the guests were led to a parking area where literally hundreds of identical, white Mercedes sedans were parked and were presented with a set of keys. This was a present from the host.

Much amusement ensued, when trying to find the car corresponding to the keys. What happened to the cars I don't know, since you are hardly going to ship one from Singapore to London......

rajaramsivasankar likes this.