ford gt vs. 430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ford gt vs. 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by rick ollis, Aug 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I drove up to monterey this weekend with my buddies. There was a 997 Turbo, F430 Spider, new Z06, and my Ford GT. I must say all cars did very well. Speed was from 100 to 160 and all cars where very stable.

With the GT lowered it rode the same as with stock tires and stock ride height. Will get some pics this week once I get it waxed.

2. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Rick- Did you pick up the GT yet?

3. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Oh, what a no-brainer.....clearly, obviously....between the 2 cars the better choice would hands-down, positively, absolutely, unequivocably be the ________.

If I didn't know better I'd almost start to think it's a subjective choice. :)

4. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave

Funny I joke with my bro the his Z06 is my luggage fan. I can put like 4 full large bags in the back of his car. I can bearly fit my I Pod in mine.

5. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    I have an f40, 360 , murcielago , and ford gt. all of them have compromises its just a matter of whats more important to you. I did some work to my gt and got 650 rwhp put on headers and left fact muffler. its fairly quiet at idle and cruising but when you step on it it emits an impresive roar.its a smother car to drive than the italians but it lacks some of the steering feel of the ferraris.In whole I tell you its a fantastic car and an incredible bargain when you consider with a few mods this car is faster than an enzo in acceleration and top speed

6. Rocksman

Rocksman Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
    El Paso TX
    Full Name:
    George D
    I dont know about the Ford Gt since Ive never driven one but Im selling my Ferrari to buy one right now. I just descided that it will retain its value since they are ending the run this coming month and still give me a blast of fun when I need it. I hope I dont miss my Ferrari to much.

7. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

8. masterlu

masterlu Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Florida, Cape Cod MA
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    #33 masterlu, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

9. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Very cool car. I like the modifications

10. Rocman

Rocman Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark K
    #35 Rocman, Aug 30, 2006
    I love my GT as well. I have not driven the 430, but I do love that car as well. In the long run, I think the GT will remain more "NEW" than the 430 since it is not going to be replaced. I will be in the market for an F40 later on, but for now, the GT will be fine.
    Dave, I can't wait to see your pics of it lowered! Who was it that did the work on your car? Do you recommend them?
    Here's a couple pics of mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    That looks mean! I love your GT as well

12. 85GTO

85GTO Rookie

Oct 13, 2005

funny since they are the same weight (before someone comes in here spouting ferrari claimed weight, I am talking about what an actual scale would say). That feeling is probably caused by the "soft" setup ford chose for the car....a trip to the alignment shop changes this.

13. TexasSpud

TexasSpud Rookie

Nov 1, 2005
    Idaho City
    Full Name:
    Paul Farmer
    I love both cars BUT do you really want a car for $150K that started with a
    Ford F-150 5.4l Triton motor? That would bother me for the money. I am a history buff so the history of the Ferrari over a supercharged Ford truck motor would sway me to the 430. ( I know the GT has its own history going back to LeMans but its not the same)
    If I could have both no problem but it would be like your wife having implants. you always know it in the back of your mind.
    Not that I am knocking (pardon the pun) your wives with implants!

14. AeroGT3RedWing

AeroGT3RedWing Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2004
    Central Coast, Calif
    Full Name:
    Tim P.
    If blingin' 26" wheels go on the "go" car, I'd absolutely hate to see what kind of mods go on the "show" car.

15. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    awesome car for the money. wont hold value like the fcar but for the discount who cares.

16. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #41 Townshend, Aug 31, 2006
    Dave..what was the color of your Ford GT? I spotted this one while I was there..

17. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    OMG! Your GT looks amazing! HRE wheels and what other mods have you done?

Davesblue360--Your GT looks bangin as well! What size rims front and rear?

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In Road & Track, they compared the Z06, FGT, 430, 997, Viper and Gallardo all on the same race track in Europe. The 430 out accelerates, out brakes, out slaloms, out skid pads, and gets around the track faster than the FGT.
    Having said that, someone was kind enough to give me a ride in their FGT. Have not been able to say that for the 430.

19. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Other then they are both 5.4 nothing else is the same.

1. Iron Block VS Aluminum Block.
    2. 2 Valve vs 4 Valve.
    3. Roots style vs twin screw supercharger.

Having owned a 360, and having my F430 coming in sept. I cant say that I would ever take the Ferrari over the GT if I had to choose. My bud got the 1st F430 Spider on the west coast and I have driven it many times. I like the more head room and some luggage space in the Ferrari. But the GT is an all out speed freak. Since my is over 700hp I cant really say it is fair to compare the 2. But try to even get 20 hp out of the Ferrari and see how much that cost you.

Dont get my wrong, I love the Ferrari Brand and all of its car. The GT can not even come close to the sweet sound of a Ferrari at 8500 rpm. But to say the GT is just a FORD is not that fair either. Since the final cars are coming off of production and once all the new GT's are sold from dealers. I can only think how much the car will start to climb up in value.

I still think about what my wife said when we were driving back from Monterey two weekends ago. We had the Yellow F430 Spider, Black 997 Turbo, Orange Z06, and our GT. She said "Wow more people are looking at the GT then the Ferrari." Trust me she is more into Ferrari's the Fords any day. She was just calling it, like she saw it.

Once the F430 comes next month, will have to do a night out on the town to see which car gets more looks. Then again, my Beautiful wife will be in the Ferrari Rosso Scuderia, and I will be in the Ford. So I think I might be in for a battle. LOL

20. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That was not a fair comparison by any means. They had Pirelli Corsa track tires on the Ferrari and Lamborghini. All other cars had stock tires on them. I called my Ferrari dealership to see if I could get Corsas on my F430 as a option and he said you could not. So either in Europe they come as a option or Ferrari and Lamborghini put them on their test cars for some extra help.

Why not just put the same compound tire on all cars to make it fair. Tires are a huge part of how a car performs in all test. Also the GT was 1st 0-60, 1st 1/4 mile, and was 1st in top speed.

21. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the comment.

Those are not HRE, but I FORGED. www.iforged.com to check them out.

Front is 20X9.5 255/30/20 Rear is 22X12 335/25/22. Once I got it lowered and performace alignment the car is very different. The steering is much sharper. Cant wait for the track day.

22. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is Blue with White Stripes.

23. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The company is in West LA. Lucent Motors (Tom) 310-231-3328. They do alot of Porsche GT2 and GT3 for track set ups. Also work on alot of Ferraris, Vette, Viper, GTs and other cool stuff. I would not let any one lower my car but him. I am taking it back soon to get it lowered 1/4 in more. He wanted me to drive it for 500 miles and see how I like it first. Just got the car waxed this morning. Will try to take some pictures today and post them.

24. Rocman

Rocman Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark K
    I do know of Lucent. There are very known is the Porsche world.
    I thought I remember you talking about another person in the valley that you had tune the car. How long did it take for the lowering? Did you wait for it, or leave the car there?

25. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The valley place does all of my performance stuff. But does not have a rack to align cars. It only took 1 day to do it. Since they are about 15 min from my house i just left it there.