001S | FerrariChat

001S

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by stratos, Aug 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hello,

A friend of mine has original pictures of 001S, possibly the 1st ever Ferrari car sold, in 1947.
    My friend says the car had been sold by Enzo to Igor Troudetskoi (spelling?) who was it driving back to France. Igor had an incident on his way, near Salins in the west of France, were a local mechanic, totally clueless on what a "Ferrari" was, helped him out.
    The pictures allegedly show 001S with its original grill, subsequently modified, and are the only ones of this car in that form. The mechanic who helped Igor says the car was blue.
    Does anyone have any additional insight on these allegations?

Thanks.

2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The name of the buyer was Prince Igor Trobotskey (SP) and he believed he was going to be the first private owner of a Ferrari race car.

His intention was to race the car first at the Targa Florio or Giro Sicilia.

The Bossano brothers beat him to the punch but he did get the first Ferrari built using the name Ferrari but he was unawre of this at the time.

He purchased 01C but the car was sold on invoice with believe it or not a short warranty as 0010I. The car however did use the frame, suspension, gearbox and rear axle from 01C now numbered 0010I. The car was now fitted with the updated "Spyder Corsa" type bodywork and had a first series enigne now out to 2.0-liters and stamped to match the chassis number.

He then purchased the other road Ferrari which if memory serves me right was 001S.

None of this happened by chance.

Somewhere a few years back, Doug Nye did a very indepth interview about these events with the Prince in Paris where he retired and was still living as of 1990.

0010I was later sold quite illegaly to the UK and was in fact the first Ferrari to go there.

Later it was road-registered and an alloy slug filled over the old chassis number and it was re-stamped simply as 010I to match earlier paper work.

Both 01C/0010I and 001S survive. I can not discuss here the details of 001S but 01C/0010I was restored via the Ferrari Factory and was on display at Pebble along with all of Ferrari's early documents and records on this car.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

3. cabarbe

cabarbe Rookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Hi Stratos,
    is it possible to get a copy of those pics? Maybe .jpg? Is there copyright?
    Thanks.

4. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    #4 Hubert1, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Wasn't the coachwork on the spider pictured done by Allemano, the same coachbuilder that did the 1948 MM winning coupe??

6. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    It probably is from Allemano.

First owner : count Sterzi - late 1947.
    Biondetti-Troubetzkoy won the April 1948 Targa Florio - #36.
    Sterzi-Righetti raced in the May 1948 Mille Miglia (or Giro di Sicilia) - #178.
    Note Troubetzkoy never was the owner of this car.

My question was : is "166 S 001S" (or better 166 Sport), the right name of the car ? Thanks.

7. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Not quite right. Troubetskoy and Sterzi together ran the Scuderia Inter as mutual race team with pre-war racing driver Freddy Zehender as manager. The car pool included the 166 Inter Spyder Corsa #006I and #010I, and the 166 Sport #001S as muletto and Troubetskoy's personal car. To avoid import tax in France #001S was registered on Sterzi's name at Milano with "11176MI".

I have a copy of the photo "stratos" is talking about, but my source would like if I publish it.

8. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    #8 Hubert1, Aug 25, 2006
  9. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #9 Michael Muller, Aug 25, 2006
  10. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Must read of course "would not like..."

11. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    Thanks Michaël !

Sorry, I found theses pictures on the web. I can delete if you wish.

The second front grille (Mille Miglia) is more square than the one at the Giro di Sicilia.
    Maybe an unfortunate hayball somewhere beetwen the two races ...

12. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    No, this counted for me only.
    But..., I just realized something...!
    Can you try to find them again on the web???
    If yes, it's okay.
    If negative, then please remove the one with Trubetskoy from December 1947...!

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The difference between the two grilles is the size, the seven bar grille is much larger, note the distance from the cavallino. It may have been the result of a meeting with a hay bale as Hubert has suggested or possibly a cooling issue.

14. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    Michaël, you received a private message.

Yes, I can find them again on the web !

15. dino286

dino286 Karting

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Eugène Vingerhoeds
    Or perhaps because of overheating??????

16. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ferrarichat never ceases to amaze me. The friend who's picture I spoke about is also the owner of the negative. He can't recall ever letting anyone have it but still Hubert1 manages to post the picture. Well...

17. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    Sorry, but I clearly asked if this picture had to be deleted of my post. I had no answer.

I found this picture a long time ago on a website in netherlands, which is closed now. When Michaël asked about this picture, I tried to see again this website : and it worked ... a few minutes before closing again !

Think what you want ...
    Regards.

I can't edit my post for deleting ...

18. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    No worries, he doesn't mind and he still has the original anyway.

19. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    Is someone have information on the colour of this car ? Blue ????? The first private ferrari was blue ?????

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Never having seen a picture of the car (especially a color one) from when the car was first built, I have no idea....but I'm am fairly certain it was red at the 1948 Targa Florio. I haven't seen any color photos of that event either though...

21. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #21 Maranello Guy, Jun 10, 2007
    Are these the 300 SL wheels ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Mercedes 300SL wheels have more slots. I'm not sure what the wheels on the car are from..

23. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    this car would precede the 300sl by a few years, would it not?

i rather like the ultra simple funcional look of this body. not as sexy as most ferraris though. it kindof reminds me of the "le monstre" lemans body built for briggs cunningham's 1950 cadillac effort built by the engineeers from grumman.

tom w

24. Hubert1

Hubert1 Karting

Mar 24, 2006
    France
    These wheels are Borrani's, the italian Rudge-Whitworth company. They are in two parts : metal and aluminum.

25. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    where is this car today? any new pics?
    Erik