Italian GP RACE ---SPOILER--- | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Italian GP RACE ---SPOILER---

Discussion in 'F1' started by ItaliaF1, Sep 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54404

Not that we didn't know it would Massa & Kimi but now it's confirmed.

Edit: Funny headline on autosport.com "Schumacher wins, Alonso retires at Monza ... By Timothy Collings Sunday, September 10th 2006, 13:22 GMT" Now isn't THAT a surprise ending!!! LOL

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Anyone here have a friend in Brazil we can all stay with?

3. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Retiring at the end of this season.

4. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Very eloquent retirement speech. Man I am depressed.

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    no, no, no, didn't you see 2 posts ago
    LOL! I'm enjoying myself at least...

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    per Autosport:

Ferrari confirm Raikkonen, Massa

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 13:34 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen has been confirmed as Michael Schumacher's replacement following the German driver's announcement that he is retiring from Formula One at the end of the season.

Raikkonen, currently a McLaren driver, has signed a contract until the end of the 2009 season.

The Finn will drive alongside Brazilian Felipe Massa, who has renewed his contract until the end of 2008.

Carol

7. Thaniya

Thaniya Rookie

Jul 24, 2005
  8. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    what a race, a moment in F1, Ferrari and MS history.

Congrats to all and a very sad day as well.

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Fantastic result. Michael was not going to race forever, he has certainly achieved alot for himself and Ferrari.

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    other than Massa finishing second, I wouldn't have changed a thing...

Love or hate MS, it's the end of an era.....

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    What an eventful day. On the day we get confirmation that we will lose F1's all-time winningest champion, the Driver's Championship closes from 12 to 2 pts, Ferrari leads the Constructor's Championship, and the Renault engine finally blows up after, what, 25 years?

Michael's retirement speech was not only eloquent, but pretty well rehearsed. This was a decision that was made at least a few weeks ago (like maybe at Hungary when he seemed a little out-of-sorts behind the wheel). I think the decision was made when we started hearing rumors that Brawn and Todt would not return next year.

I may be in the minority, but it just seemed like the right time to me. He has the chance to finish on top, he'll be 38 next year and Ferrari had the chance to lock up two of the better young drivers. Mostly, I didn't want him to go out like one of boxing's greats, still good enough to be in the mix but not able to dominate as he once did. I also didn't want to see his reputation take any more hits. Retiring will wipe this season's transgressions clean, as people will focus on it being his final go-round. Had he chosen to remain, the championship would have been tarnished by Monaco, mass dampers, flexi-wings, penalties, Hungary, etc.

What I would love to see is MS running in the Le Mans series...I think that would bring an instant viewership increase.

12. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    ^^ I respect your viewpoint of course but I feel a bit different.

Michael's speed may have diminished a bit over the years - he doesnt have the speed he showed in 1994-1996 but he still is a bit better than Raikkonen and maybe equal to Alonso. But he makes up with all the areas. Therefore I believe if he had stayed on another year, he would still be fast and competitive.

I doubt Michael will do the Le Mans series. He has done that 16 years ago and may not find the thrill to repeat it.

13. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    He went out with class.

14. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Who will be the number one driver at ferrari next year?? Massa or Kimi

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Alonso better than Raikkonen? Michael "as good as " Alonso?

In the same equipment, Kimi is much better. In any equipment Michael is much better.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    About 20 posts ago it was announced it was Kimi.

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Of course he could not pre-empt the team announcement about Kimi, even though everybody knows.

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    We had a lot of threads discussing this. Its just my opinion! Lionheart Michael is still my hero though!!! :)

19. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Well excuse me!!!....Sir

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

:}

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Did ya get the "sir" bit?:D

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Yes m'am, I did!

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Wow, that was as emotional filled as it can be. Kudos to the crew at Speed as I think they said a lot of right things about Michael. I think we all knew it was coming and going to happen sooner or later, but still.... The moment was as surreal as it can be. Michael Schumacher is one of the top 5 greatest F1 drivers ever in history, if not the greatest. It has been a great pleasure to follow his career, and to see what he had done for F1 and more importantly, Ferrari. I can only hope that he wasn't "forced" out as some media members are suggesting. If it was truly his own decision to retire then I can respect that. If not, I would have loved to see him and KR on the same team for a year. And I can only hope that it was not Ferrari or KR that prevented it from happening, if they are responsible, then they are being a real jerk considering what Michael had done for the sport and for Ferrari. Anyway, it was extremly sad to see him telling us that he will retire at the end of the season and I sincerely hope that he retires as a World Champion as he rightfully deserves.

If he does lurk here on this site, I will like to tell him a most sincere thank you for all you had done and especially for the Tifosi. F1 may still go on, but it will never be the same without you.

-Anthony

24. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Well, I'm just now catching my breath after that one. I was so excited that Alonso was out, but then Massa locked up the front rear so badly that he had to go in for pit and then finish right outside the points. Nevertheless, it was a great race. Robert Kubica and the BMW was very impressive. I'm still trying to grasp the reality that Schumy won't be driving the red F1 car next year, or any F1 car for that matter. I'm so glad we are finally in the lead for the Constuctor's title and MS is only 2 points behind Alonso. What a season this has been!

-John

25. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I respect your opinion. But I believe that MS is the better of the three. If Alonso can take a second rate McLaren continuously to the podium in 2007, I would change my opinion of him. Until then, he is third behind the other two.