348/355 as 2nd chair daily | FerrariChat

348/355 as 2nd chair daily

Discussion in '348/355' started by mambodave, Sep 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ive been tooling around with a few ideas. I want an exotic that can fair well as a good weather daily. (i dont drive that much, i work from my house). I have a bimmer i can rely on in times of bad weather or maintenenace.

I have looked at several options and reasoning

-348 ---prices are affordable, and If I found the right car, i could put some miles on it without too much depreciation
    -355---I like the looks of the 355 a little better, but willcost me alot more to purchase and may take a bigger hitif i put some miles on it
    -360 modena---maybe the most reliable of the choices thus far? but i could find a higher mileage car and may hold some value if i put some miles on it.

Non-f car choices
    -Lotus Esprit...newer cars are only running in the $50's
    -996 TT...probably the most reliable of the choices and 01 cars are hitting low $60's..but its not as exotic as the others.

What would you do if it were your dime?

Thanks
    Dave

2. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Dave,
    I almost went through the same choices (minus the 360). I have been a Porsche guy for 15 years and owned three of them. I decided to switch to Ferrari this time. My order was first the 996TT if I had stayed with Porsche, I tried it, its ammazing but did not have the looks I wanted. The dealer I tried it at was pushing a Lotus Esprit Turbo on me. Very clean and in the $50's, but it (looks) just did not do it for me. My aim was the 355 until I started reading a lot of the 355 maintenance issues. I love the look but have no time for the maintenance. Then moved to the 348 which is gorgeous, I love the blades on the side and the front look, but I like the the rear of the 355 more. For about $15-20K less, I could live with the slight difference in looks between both.

So I started the quest for a 348 TB, found one that was maintained like a princess... wasted no time and bought it right away. I will be receiving it in 10 days!! Very happy with the choice.

I hope this helps you in any way.
    Dean

3. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Dean!

the 348 is lower maintenance than the 355 also right? (from what Ive been reading) less expensive i mean?

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

It most cases

5. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I've owned both, the 355 is superior and the cost to maintain is about equal. I actually had many more issues with the electronics of the 348. Both are fun cars.

6. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Dave, let us know what decision you make.
    Good luck.
    Dean

7. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    why turbo Porsche of course....
    I drive one every almost every day.
    Probably don't have to explain why.
    also own Ferrari.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I bought one in January and can't wait to trade it for a Ferrari - a TR or 355. The 996 TT is brainless, a great accelerator and deccelerator, but kind of dull if u want an experience. As a daily driver, u get bored. Do u really need a rocketship to drive to and from work? If u want a near-sports car (they say it's a "GT" car) built like a tank, get a TT. If u like to impress ppl at the stop light, get a TT. If u have a low tolerence for maintenance, get a TT. If u want to disappear in a crowd (like my neighborhood) get a TT. If u have a soul, get a Ferrari, any Ferrari.

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I had a similar list - even tried to buy an Esprit TT but the dealer and I couldn't agree the depreciation schedule :)

I went with a 348 spider - up here in Canada 355's are still depreciating at a rapid rate. they've probably taken most of the hit of the 360's on the market but my crystal ball is heavily cracked.

10. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I would not worry about things like depreciation. I would just get the car I liked. No offense but if you are worried about what it will be worth when your done with it, or what it will cost to operate it, you can't afford it anyway. These cars are toys designed for our driving pleasure. Just go get the one you like, drive the wheels off of it, accept the cost of driving it, and sell it for whatever you can get when your done with it. The cost will be insignificant in comparison to the pleasure you will get out of driving it. Life is short right!