Schumi's new Swiss "digs". | FerrariChat

Schumi's new Swiss "digs".

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Did you see the story in this months FCA newsletter about Michael Schumacher's plans on spending 11 Million Euros on a new home in Switzerland? It will be 5 stories,with 2 of them underground. On 13 hectares.(acres,I'm guessing) Also,with Turrets,underground parking for 19 cars,indoor swimming pool,sauna,climbing wall,gym,a special Trophy room,and a magnificent view of Leman Lake,(what does that look like,Andreas?) and the Alps. Sounds good to me. And...unlimited access to Swiss Chocolate! :)

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Everybody is getting all worked up about that home. Remember the guy is currently the best paid F1 driver (soon to be outdone by Kimi) and is estimated at half a billion. So 11 millions is probably what just Dekra pays him for wearing that silly hat (a gesture that oddly enough is imitated by thousands of his fans).

The house is beautiful, no question though. And enough room for his car collection. In door gym and swimming pool. The view onto Lake Geneva (Lac Leman in French) is stupendous! Not that I've been to his town, but since the Swiss border of the lake is up hill, all houses are staggered and have fantastic view across the lake to the French Alps in the South and the Swiss Alps in the East. No wonder movie and rock stars live there.

Originally Schumi wanted to live in the German part of Switzerland, actually in a neighbouring village from where I used to live. But he couldn't get the changes he wanted to do to the house approved by the local community. Too bad for all people involved. His money would have boosted that village big time and his kids could have gone to a German speaking school.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've even heard "Highest paid athlete in the world." I'm wondering if he picked up a used Enzo, since he claims Luca wouldn't give him one (which I don't believe).

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think I heard that too one time, but since I'm not really into NFL, NBA etc I can't say for sure. Michael Jordan was it at some time, but I think Michael S. trumped him meanwhile. And Kimi is supposed to get an even bigger deal...

5. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    MS is #2, Tiger Woods is still #1, must be hard to make on only 85/90 mil a year

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    a hectare is around 2.5 acres

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks,Dave. I was going to look it up on this contraption,then,my Wife got home early today with some "running around" chores that had to be done. So,thats not a bad lot. Approx. 32 1/2 acres. He could probably build himself a nice little race track to putt around on. But,he probably wants to have nothing to do with auto racing when he's there. Just R&R. Not to mention some unhappy new neighbors! But,I am a little disappointed with his selection of only a 19 car garage... If it was me,I'd be going for quite a bit more! :) And,LOL to Bob's post. Yes,Brutal. Having to constantly 'worry' about how to move it around ,and spread it out so that the tax man doesn't grab too much! He can gladly send a little bit our way. We'll put it to some really good use. :) As in the above post. MORE Ferrari's!!! And a Warehouse that we could store them all.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    19 hectars is insane given the immense prices for land in tiny Switzerland. The reason for all that land is, that his wife Corinna wants to go horseback riding. That was btw the downfall on his attempt to get something going in the German part of Switzerland: They tried to redo the horses cribs etc and that fell flat.

His car collection has some of the finest, so it might not be the biggest, but probably something worthy of its own concours.

As far as the money goes, he lives in Switzerland as an alien. That is the best tax haven you can imagine (short of living in cramped Monte Carlo): He doesn't pay income taxes but the equivalent of what it would cost for renting his house. So far his current residence would cost about 100k per year in rent. That's what he is paying in taxes!

So Tiger might be making more $$$, but at the end of the year Schue's bank account has a lot more to show for. A very clever man. In many respects.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh yes,no doubt Michaels car collection is of Quality,not quantity. But,there are an awful lot of cars that I can think of that I would get,say,if I won a 150 Million Powerball lotto,or something. And,it's quite a few more than 19 :) And,besides the beautiful scenery,and chocolates,(and cheese) The infamous Swiss Bank accounts!

10. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Would it be safe to say that Schumi is "laughing all the way to his Swiss bank"?
    I sure would like to be there when he stops to make a bank deposit at a
    drive-thru in an F-1 car !
    Dave

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, therein lies the problem of his new digs: Switzerland is a LOT less car tolerant than any other country. No way he could drive up with anything resembling a F1 car. Heck, he couldn't even drive the F40 over there. Nor a 308 with a bolted on wing...

I love this country!
    (this being the US)

12. Demigod555

Demigod555 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    SF
    For 11 million he could have designed a nicer house

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For one I'm not quite sure how you make that comment without seeing a finished house (all pics are under construction) and second this is Switzerland, so the style of the house is somewhat dictated by the environment.

I think they did a marvellous job of building a huge place with a gigantic underground garage but make it look modest enough to fit in. And that view from his living room must be just spectacular onto Lake Geneva and the French Alps.

14. Demigod555

Demigod555 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    SF
    True, I may be surprised by what it looks like when its done, but I doubt it. You can tell generally what it'll look like and it isn't a very elegant shape, just sort of a hulking thing.

Also turrets are goofy on modern houses, unless you're protecting yourself from the paporazzi :p

15. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I read somewhere that Switzerland was looking at eliminating this "tax haven" for foreigners. Any truth to this?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Haven't heard an update, so don't know. Even if they get rid of that, the country remains a relative tax haven. Particularly for a German. Sure Monaco would be cheaper, but then again it is kinda hard to have a big horsey farm there. :)

17. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    What does he have for a car colection? Sorry, but I am not up on this.

Norbert

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There are other threads on FChat talking about that. AFAIK the underground garage gives room to at least 50 cars and that's about what he has as is personal collection (not counting all his F1 cars, which are together with his brother's part of their museum in Kerpen, Germany). Think fast and exotic and that's what's on that list. FXX, Lambo, you name it.

19. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow, the knowledge some of you have of Schumacher's personal life is creepy.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's not that I'm that into MS, but since he lives in Switzerland and I follow my former home country's news it is hard not to know these things.

Ask me somthing, anything about the Cubs and I'll be lost. Utterly. And I have a baseball star living right next door.