308 Help, Battery Short Issue? | FerrariChat

308 Help, Battery Short Issue?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Sep 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I have 308 GTSi. I think I may have plug the battery in the wrong way for under 10 seconds with ignition on. I did correct it and install it the right way, I have 2 black cables. I can now see which is the ground/negative.

I installed it, and was able to go into the cable and re turn on the igition and turned over, but did not start it(No gas in tank). Upon getting out of the car right away I saw smoke coming from under the deck (closest to the cabin). I ran immediatly to unhook the battery, I rechecked the ground it was correct. I havent connected the battery again.

If I attempt to connect it I get a large spark, took and mulimeter and light bulb to it. It appears I have a short from the battery wire. I cant see where. I can assume it's the Regulater which is attached to the alternator.

Could this be the piece that was smoking? Could this be what is actually giving me the short ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    yeah, you run a huge amount of current through the diodes in the alternator, which usually burns them up, then they conduct in both directions so fixing the battery orientation still causes big current draws.

you'll need to yank the alternator and replace the diodes (or let a rebuild shop replace them). The voltage regulator may have survived, though a shop normally replaces it anyway as part of a rebuild.

the good news is that it's unlikely you've done any damage to other stuff in the car (like the digiplexes)

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Get rid of the two black cables as well ASAP!

Get that "+" cable in red today!

With the ignition having been on, you might have done other damage as well such as dash instruments!

4. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    As an addition, I did notice when I went to turn over engine, The lights came on then, went out, I think that's burned out, I hopes that the one fuse I saw burned.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The terminal post are a different diameter on your battery on the + and - post.

How did you get them mixed up? Did you bash them on?

6. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    No both were loose

7. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Ok, with The Alternator out, it no longer has the short it seems. However when the ignition is on with the battery the lights light up then the dash light fuse blow's.

Is there a good electrical diagram anywhere, any Idea where the short with the lights could be?