Cross-country in my 550 | FerrariChat

Cross-country in my 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by itamar, Sep 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itamar

itamar Rookie

Feb 25, 2006
    I have wanted to drive my 550 around the US for the longest time.I usually fly from LA to Montreal, Canada in June for the Canadian Grand Prix(great city,great event), so I decided to drive there instead...Bottom line, my wife and I hopped in the car, and took off.Amazingly, the car can actually carry quite a bit of luggage if you pack it right. The total miles we drove were 7540 exactly.The car performed flawlessly.It's a 1998, and now has 38000 miles.Our route took us from LA to Utah(Bryce & Zion),Steamboat Sprngs,Co.,S. Dakota(MT. Rushmore,Badlands), Wisconsin, Chicago, Ohio,Pennsylvania, N.Y., Vermont,up to Montreal, then back home through N.Y. Penn., W.Virginia,Tenn, Arkansas,Oklahoma,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona, and back to LA.We had some very high temps. along the way, and some torrential rains, and I was amazed as to how well the car performed, no issues at all.It does not burn any oil at all, A/C worked well. The slow down light flashed a few times, but went away.The seats were very supportive and comfy as well.BTW, I had the 30K service done prior to leaving, and the timing belts looked as good as new! The tensioners were excellent as well. The 2 other drive belts were quite worn,though.
    I also drove up to Monterey last month as I do every year, and we're going to Las Vegas in 2 weeks. What can I say, I just love to drive this car!

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am very envious. I hate driving long distances but I think I would be able to handle it in an F-car

3. yetis

yetis Rookie

Nov 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Owns Ferrari and uses the heck out of it!!! Good to hear and hope to follow your example soon.

Any pics of the car????

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Great to hear! That is exactly what that car is designed to do.

5. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Any pics of the roadtrip? I love seeing dirty Ferrari's :)

6. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I put 350 miles on mine this weekend, nothing in comparison, but a lot of fun!

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Itamar, thanks for posting the story and pics. Would love to see some more if you have them. Sounds like a complete blast. How long did you take to make the whole journey?

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Itamar

Wow. I think there is nothing better than using these cars for what they do best. More pics would be appreciated.

9. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Congrats itamar... It's nice to see someone using a Ferrari as it was intended!

Keep on posting pics, they're great! :)

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Wow awesome first post!!! Atleast someone is using the car the way it was meant to be used!!

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

That arch is defintely the upper section of Zion, I'd know it in my sleep (from previous rafting club trips).
    What a fantastic bit of scenery and the most perfect car to see it in!

Perhaps that stunner of a lady accompanied you?
    Darn lucky having the best of all worlds.

Kind regards (with envy) ,

Scott

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thats beautiful! It is something you will never forget for the rest of your life I'm sure. I wouldn't mind some more pics ;)

13. Ferrari_lvr

Ferrari_lvr Formula Junior

May 28, 2006
    Tons of open road, a great destination, and a bright red Ferrari...what a fantasy.

14. itamar

itamar Rookie

Feb 25, 2006
    Total trip: 31 days. That day in Zion by the arch was so hot...107 degrees! I'll post some more pix soon.

15. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    You are one of my new heroes. Sounds like an awesome time! Welcome to FChat btw.

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

How did the 550 A/C work - all OK?

17. itamar

itamar Rookie

Feb 25, 2006
    A/C worked well. In some of the exreme heat we encountered it took a little while to cool the cabin down, but it was not bad at all. In fact, when I returned I had the A/C serviced,the system was vacumed-out,and new lubricant and freon added.It turns out that I was low on freon,not too much,but low.There were no leaks detected at all, and now it blows ice cold.My windows are lightly tinted, and I always use a reflective winshield sunshade when parked-it helps...

18. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Well done, Im sure you will always remember it, no better way to get to know your car, this year I drove from the UK to France through Belgium for the LeMans 24 and then back to Ireland. The cars are meant to be driven.
    Steve

19. itamar

itamar Rookie

Feb 25, 2006
    Absolutely,the longer a car-any car,sits idle, the more likely it will develop problems,leaks, etc.I'll take a higher mileage car over a super low mile car any time.Unfortunately most Ferrari owners view the cars as an investment,not a car ,big mistake! I say life is short,enjoy it...

20. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    +1

You get it, drive them as they were intended... Garage queens are nothing but trouble.

21. saleenfan

saleenfan Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No Where
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    +1
    Finally some one who really uses there Ferrari! (not that others on this site dont ;) )
    Great pics and great story

22. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great story, nice to see a Ferrari being driven and enjoyed, after the 550 was built as GT car. Nice pictures too..