Stradale Track tires. | FerrariChat

Stradale Track tires.

Discussion in '360/430' started by LuisGT3, Sep 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis
    What are you guys running? Tire rack has nothing in the factory sizes or even close to it. Any suggestions?

2. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
  3. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Those are street tires. My question was about track tires.

4. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hoosier is coming out with 19" slicks. Check with the dealer.

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Slicks might be a bit much for the Stradale as it sits. I've run slicks on street cars before and they are too sticky and kinda overwhelm the suspension by getting full spring and shock compression.

I would think that if you can replace the Stradale springs/shocks/swaybars with a full challenge race set up, then you will have an amazing track car...otherwise if you run slicks with a stock suspension try to run a hard compound if there is a choice.

I'd like to hear more from others that have tracked Stradales as to what they think.

6. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The Pirelli slicks used in this years Challenge series will fit. I have a set but have not run them yet. They are available from Bob Woodward in Canada. I will probably run these next month. Seems like the Stradale suspension is fairly stiff so I think they will be OK.

I am running PS2 Michelins for the street. Might be OK for one or two track days. I sense a bit of understeer when pushed on the street but maybe on the track that would balance out.

Have fun.

7. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis

Thank you. Are you usung them on the stock Stradale wheels?
    If you do not mind me asking, how much did they run you. Have you spoken to other Stradale owners that have used the slicks?

8. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Woops, sorry I had a minor brainfart :D

9. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Even though Tire Rack doesn't list them on their page in the correct sizes, it still might be worth a call. ok, back to lurking. :D

10. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I can't remember the exact price for the slicks but think it was about $1200 for the set. Yes I have them mounted on a spare set of Stradale wheels. It appears to be a very strong BBS wheel. Three piece wheels are not as stiff. I would think they will be fine for 2 or three track days. Racing tires generally do not have rubber preservative in them so once they are used they have about a 12 month shelf life. They are also sensitive to heat cycles.

And of course a big word of caution the first few laps can be very slippery. They really don't work until they get warm. After that life is good!!

11. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Yes, I have used DOT Hoosiers before in my previous Porsche race car so I am familiar with the shelf life and heat cycles. Where did you pick the slicks up?

12. Marshall

Marshall Karting

Oct 7, 2005
    Tahoe
    I've been running the Pirelli slicks form the 430 Challenge series. I got three full sets and have already chorded one of them. They are very, very sticky and very fun. Insane fun. I am also running steep camber on the front as well. You'll be grinning for sure!

I alsohave 3 sets of Stradale Rims... these thingsbend when you look at them wrong so don't be too hard on the bumpers or the turn out. I take some spares to the track so I don't get shorted on my track days.

If you live where its cold, you'll need to heat your garage to be warm. These tires don't like to get cold in storage.

If you have trouble getting the tires from your dealer, PM me and I can point you to some resources.

13. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Pirelli slicks are available from Bob Woodman in eastern Canada.

843 524 8473

Just had my regular tire dealer mount them today. The fronts were a little hard to get seated on the rim. It was a loud POP! They recommend 31 to 32 PSI hot for tire pressures. Otherwise all was well. Also when mounting the bar code goes to the inside. I'll post a report after I try them. I can't wait. Now I am excited.