WEEKEND AT PAP'S | Page 59 | FerrariChat

WEEKEND AT PAP'S

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PAP 348, Apr 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I looked at them schoolgirl party pics that I mentioned last week. They are crap! Whoever took the pics needs to be shot with a 30-06 right between her eyes. There are around 150 pics and Ive looked at them all. Very disappointing! :(

2. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    omg what a fixer upper, what you going to do with it , hmm maby clean the body up a bit , drop a v12 from a second hand 550, get a turbo kit from kioeng , keep it red of course ,give those guy a run in the outback challenge

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I have already sold the car to a black fella here named Danny. Nice old guy too. He needed the engine and trans. Ive seen a few with 351 Clevo's in them. They haul ass! :D
    Still a dirty old Sigma though! :)

4. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia

Please don't sell the 348 though

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The Sigma?????? It was my bro's 1st car. Dad bought it in 1996 for him. I rolled it in 2000. :eek: Otherwise the bum would still be driving it I reckon. :)
    I did him a favour.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #1456 PAP 348, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is who I sold the 348 to. Everyone meet Danny348.........:eek:
    Only kidding mate! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #1457 PAP 348, Sep 28, 2006
    Here is pic of my 348 fresh from being washed this afternoon. 1st drive since before I went to Cairns, around 2 weeks now. Im ready to go cut a few laps up town tonight. More Ferrari driving tomorrow. :)

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #1458 PAP 348, Sep 28, 2006
  9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Looks real nice Pap. Is it as clean and straight underneath?

Got yourself a goodun there...

LOVE the induction noise of 348's..

have you tried driving one with rear wheel spacers fitted... really makes a big difference (positive one!)

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate. It is as clean as a whistle for sure. Except the mag wheel finish(clear coat) is cracking. Also has drivers side seat bolster wear. Both thats easy to repair both. I havent driven one with the spacers as of yet. But I know all about it ect....;) Its funny though. I reckon my 348 handles fantastic. How much better can it be with the spacers? Must be the driver I reckon! ;) Im also going to get an X-OST exhaust from Ricambiamerica asap too. :)

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    348's handle ok as such on perfectly smooth surfaces, but don't ride bumps too well due to short wheelbase, heavy and long overhangs, rear spring rate (too stiff) and track difference F to R.

Track and effective spring rate (motion ratio) can be changed easily with spacers.

Try it... you'll like it!

12. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    hey pap i was just looking thu my old forza mags and i found 1 with a really good guide to the 348 , issue 30 june 2001 i should send it to you and you can have a look, they give the car a bit of a bashing but it is a good read...

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #1463 PAP 348, Sep 28, 2006
    Will do FF. Ive got a mate that owns a tyre shop and he can get some good spacers. Since when has the 348 got long&heavy overhangs? The front is a little long, but has no weight in it and the rear end has no overhang at all. What are you talking about mate? Although, I had a fun crusing around tonite. I had 3 ricer Skylines that wanted to race down the 1/4mile. Even had my mates "Team WRX" want to run. Remember the tool from the car show with the $2600 sticker kit? I told them all to FO and ill race them around a track and smoke them............if we had one here. :eek: I still love my car! Its the best. I cant wait to get into some others one day. :)

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds good man! Pity about the bashing part of it. If I get my hands on that dirty columnist Ill kick his ass back to mayberry. :p

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    listen, you tool, phil was instrumental in the design of 348s....HE would know...ok??

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkk........................:D:D

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd ask 348CH what he thinks, he did some good times in his car and told me they just need setting up properly as they are a bit tricky at the limit but then both of my cars were tricky there too

18. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    I thought I might beat you up this morning but you've pipped me by nearly half an hour! Saw the worlds fastest indian last night....very enjoyable...I recommend it.

EDIT:how's that for off topic?...then again, we're in Pap's thread.

19. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The over hangs are heavy for their length.... if that helps clarify

The weight in the overhang problem was so bad, that original 348's had the battery and oil tank in the rear overhang and ferrari moved them to the later 355 type position (oil tank behind seat, battery in front) to reduce and balance out the rear end problem.

You'd probably also notice the improvement when using a sports exhaust rather than the heavy std silencer.

peepee... you don't have to design something to know how it works.

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    don't worry, Phil....i know you never designed anything AND you don't know how anything works.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ok, I get ya about the overhangs. My car has the batt in the LH rear, same as oil tank in RH rear.
    Do you remember when I had the exhaust off mate?? When I had them 2 pipes there. The ass end was more tail happy then it was with the mufflers there. Obviously less weight and it also spun to redline alot quicker(and sounded loud and cool). I dont know if you would call that an improvement when the ass end breaks out on ya without really pushing it? :)

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

That is a really good idea JM. I dont think he would chime in here would he. He is never here. Even if I PM him, it may take months to get a reply. :D Unless someone here talks to him out of Fchat? :)

23. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia

What size spacers do you recommend ? And should they be complimented with front wheel spacers? Unlike Pap's, my 348 has the battery under the front D/S wheel arch.

24. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    G'day

months??? try same day service!!! Sheez, bloody F car owners are so goddam impatient!

I'll see what I can dig out. We spent a lot of time playing with geometries and ride heights in the 348. I also had 512TR wheels fitted which may or may not have made a difference... along with usual CH fare of exhaust, brakes, suspension, gearing, etc etc

I gave most of my spec sheets to Martin (the buyer) but I do have factory manual and set up for the 348 competizione which provided a good starting point. We did some seriously fun things setting it up but most importantly for a starter on the track in one of these is to set it up nice and slow and then gradulally tighten things up a bit.

Note: ride heights and rear wheel toe are particularly crucial on a 348. Corner weighting when you start getting more serious...

What state are you in (besides delirium)? If you are in Vic or NSW get to a Burrows/Event's O'Neill day asap and start having some fun (if I'm telling you how to suck eggs then - oh well...) with Allan Simonsen instructing you... give him a drive and see how fast your car can really go!

Seven things that will make you and the car quicker around the track...

- fit a 2" steering wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to you
    - fit a proper driver's seat
    - get serious instruction
    - practice
    - practice
    - practice
    - practice

25. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    Just saw you're in Mt Isa... forget the Burrow's Days then!