Tesla Roadster | FerrariChat

Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'British' started by Ferrari0324, Sep 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
  2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #2 Townshend, Sep 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They had been planning to build it for a while. In fact the first 100 cars have already been sold (though not built). The first models should be delivered sometime during the summer of next year. I was fortunate enough to have seen a couple of their prototypes at Pebble (I have higher res images if anyone wants, PM me):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Until electric cars become a mandatory possession, I will always drive a gas powered car. Until then...

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Electric sports cars are truly a novelty.
    I would love to see a luxury electric car, I think it would be more suited.

5. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    So uhh... they seem to be bragging about how it's a zero emission vehicle.

How do they think the electricity is being generated at the power plants?

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    my uncle wants to get one. I hope he doesn't...

7. xPortOfMiami

xPortOfMiami Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Carlos Daniel Yepez
    If I heard correctly the 1st 100 people who already ordered theres put $100,000 USD down. Someone correct me if I am wrong please. It was either they put that figure down or it was the actual price.

8. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    I still don't understand why anyone thinks that putting an electric motor and heavy battery pack in a Lotus Elise and adding $50,000 to the price is a breakthough.

9. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I drove an EV1 for a while and I loved the instant torque. I can't wait to drive one of these things. The Google guys have put a nice pile of money in so I bet we see at least 1000+ cars produced. No doubt they will sell all they can make for $100,000. Remember folks, it's all about showing up at the cocktail party with your electric car so you can justify taking a weekend trip to Europe and consuming 25,000 gallons of fuel in your private jet!.

10. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    fifth gear did an interview with al gore recently and the tesla came up-he's pretty fond of it.

11. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    I have huge doubts about them selling that many of this totally ridiculous and overpriced non-breakthough vehicle.

12. xPortOfMiami

xPortOfMiami Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Carlos Daniel Yepez
    You'd be surprised bro ;)

13. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Is there anything new with life expectancy of batteries ? I have to replace battery in my cars every 4 years. Will this thing need a complete overhaul every 4-5 years as well ?

14. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, the inventor of the internet lends his stamp of approval.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In government speak it is. By their legal definition if it has no tail pipe it has no emissions.

Pretty smart huh!

Thats our government.

16. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yes. The price is estimated to be $100,000 and the first 100 have been sold. They are going to start offering more after the first 100 are delievered.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The Tesla has an optional solar charger that can also return any excess power to your home/grid. That pretty much covers the emissions in my mind.

18. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    There will be no excess power. You'd need a solar panel the size of a basketball court (at least!) to power a car, even a tiny one like this.

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I think it looks like the new Miata MX-5 and an Elise had a kid.

20. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    There will be one on every corner in So-Cal.

21. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    It'd be a very unique driving experience - lots of power/weight with very little engine noise. Just imagine how in tune you would become to the tiniest squeaking of the inside tire being overpowered through your favorite apex, or how brilliant this thing would be in an isolated canyon - top down - on a warm summer night.

I mean I love to hear the intake howl and exhaust pop echoing off the mountainside as much as the next guy, but sometimes it would be nice to just slip by at ridiculous speeds without the locals taking notice.

What some of you seem to be missing is the idea for this car is obviously not just for those looking to grow a beard and petition to end IC engines for good. It's a toy for the enthusiast - one with different advantages and disadvantages to IC. I can't understand why anyone would be grumpy about the introduction of this vehicle.

By the way, drivable IC engines are far less efficient and dirtier per joule than anything that is used to power the grid that this car will recharge on. So even without the dubious advantage provided by any solar panels you are still ahead of even the most efficient automotive engines both in terms of consumption and pollution.

22. golferjh3

golferjh3 Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Uh, why do you hope he doesn't?

23. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    cause then I'd lose my commission :D

24. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

You'd be way off. The Tesla crew was easily the top non-P4/5 conversation at Pebble. They were so popular that they were giving away *autographs* to newly found fans.

They pre-sold their first 100, have a waiting list for the next batch, and are being backed by some savvy, deep-pocketed investors.

Plus, if you live within 100 miles of LAX, the state of California provides you with free electric charging stations (free juice) on numerous city streets...not that people will use them, but people will rationalize spending the extra $30k for the Tesla rather than on some hybrid SUV due to gimmicks like that (i.e. people lie to themselves to justify buying things).

25. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
    Saw one parked outside Starbucks on North First Street in San Jose. It was eerily Quiet when it pulled away. Reminded me of the new Lotus Europa in the flesh.