348 Oil Change | FerrariChat

348 Oil Change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bigbaddad, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    #1 bigbaddad, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey -

I know I had a few questions before I crawled under the car, so I took some pictures along the way. Here is my version of a 348 oil change.

I ordered my oil filter from Sodacom's, it came with a copper crush washer taped to the box. Once that arrived, I jacked the car up and put it on stands.

I first drained the oil from the resevoir...when it was done draining, I replaced the bolt and went to remove the oil drain plug from the sump. I had to remove a small panel to gain access to this plug. While it was draining, I removed the air filter housing and punched a hole in the oil filter to help drain the oil out of it. Then I replaced it with a new oil filter. The sump had finished draining, so I put on the new copper washer and tightened down the plug. Then I replaced the panel I had removed earlier. After that, all I had to do was replace the air filter housing. I took the car off the jacks and filled it with oil. I hope I didn't leave out any steps, here are the pictures...

Sorry for the disorganized pictures, but hopefully they will help. I thought I would be able to put a caption with each one, but i can't seem to.

It wasn't hard to do, I did have to stop halfway through to go buy the 12mm allen wrench from Sears. It was a lot easier than changing the oil on my 911.

-John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FloridaIsland348 likes this.
  2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Wow, good info. Thanks for sharing.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Well Done!!! Thanks for the pics.

Vincent.

4. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice - Others will find this useful also.
    thanks!

5. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I've only had my 348 for just over a month and it had a fresh oil change so I haven't gotten into it yet. Thanks for the information and the pics!

6. davey_jones

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you need 2 crush washers?
    1 for sump & 1 for the resevoir...?
    Or only 1 for the sump?

7. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    It looks like you would actually need 2 crush washers. I used the one Sodacom's sent on the sump, it is harder to get to if it leaks a bit. I re-used the washer on the resevoir. It is starts leaking, I can get to it easily and will replace it if needed. So far, no leaks.

In anticipation of the next question, I don't know what size the washers are. ;)

-John

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    John - nice post w/pics! Just food for thought - I warm the car and drain the reservoir from above using a suction pump rather than undo the drain plug as I find it easier (the reservoir plug can be a pain sometimes) and I do get all the oil out as verified with my borescope. I drain the engine sump from the drain plug as you described. Again, thanks for the pics.

Shan

9. davey_jones

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave

I have a small periodic drip from the sump area and I'm thinking that may be what it is...(crush washer)

10. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Thank you so much John for this post.

11. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    How messy is the topside pump? I have thought about them, but it seems wrong somehow, oil 'draining' against gravity. :)

That said, I do have the Motiv Power bleeder that I have used on my 993, and it makes brake jobs a piece of cake.

-John

12. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I will try this here.

1. What are the torque specs on the 22mm bolt, the 12mm drain and, out of curiosity, the gear box drain plug too?
    2. Do you check the oil level with the car running or off? I have seen both. I think the service manual says off and I think that is what you did. Just clarifying.

13. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Also, is there a torque spec for the oil filter?