Long time till next race, this should keep you guys busy | FerrariChat

Long time till next race, this should keep you guys busy

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Mark(study), Oct 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've seen this line, at least 20 times- (usually mixed with a swipe at FA in contrast)

"he showed dignity and leadership with the way he treated his team when he got back to the garage"

Made me start to think... after the "5 mph crash" at Monaco, that probably embarrassed MS in the eyes of the TV viewing world (if you believe the saying in the Corporate World- "all eyes are on Monaco")

Do you think MS hired a Image Consultant? To help him clean-up his rep, and go out with complete style and grace? The fans and public can be so sensitive, you have to be very careful when the world's spot-light shines on your every move. I would guess that MS has a Staff Publicist, Image consultant, Manager, Multiple Corporate Advisors, and other support staff. Famous people on TV... think about, and control, what they want you to see now-a-days...

Or do you think MS (besides being a nice guy ) kept his cool because he already has 7 titles, and adding an 8th would be nice, but its like a guy with $700 million (not going to think its the end of the world if he's not worth $800 million next week) MS doesn't have to prove himself anymore and that is one reason he's retiring.

Why was MS (who is such a competitive racer) not more visibly upset about the engine blowing up at such a crucial time? (would have made for a better TV show if he did get mad. Modern F1 drivers are too cool and dull sometimes)

I'd guess that, when you're FA and you see 4 or 5 stupid things happen in the last 7 races... the stress builds. But if your MS and you've had great luck over the second half of the year, you're not going to get as stressed over one problem. Its racing and its expected.

2. UberNoob

UberNoob Rookie

Apr 1, 2006
    or maybe that he really cares about the money and the contract he gets
    so since he is retiring, any more winnings wont really matter to him in a financial sense as he wont be getting anymore F1 racing contracts

testing driver contracts maybe but not racing which is dependant on qualifying and races

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that the reason Michael was so cordial after his engine blew up was because he knew at that moment that the pressure was off of him. It became clear that he had done everything in his power up to that point to win the championship, then his equipment failed him.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He did that back in 1999. Sabine suchandsuch is his PR speaker. After the desastrous way his comeback was handled by Mr. 20% he decided to have a better spokesperson. She also cleans up his speeches (which is why they now sound like a corporation's bulletin) and I bet helped him in general to up his image.

Every once in a while the real man shines through (thank God for that!) like after the tunnel incident with JPM. I rather have a pissed off and irritated Schumacher than that edgeless talk at the usual press conference.

The reason he took Suzuka in stride was probably really because he felt that way: His chances for the title were basically zero by mid season and he said that "Ferrari has used up all its jokers, from now on every time they have to score". And they did. That string eventually has to come to an end, be it by bad luck, driver error (his or somebody elses) or whatever. He knew that and took this one in stride.

**** happens in F1. You can't avoid that. All you can do is make sure you reduce the negative chances. You can't expect nothing negative happening forever. And who knows, it might hit Alonso in the next race. It ain't over...

5. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    I believe that the reason Michael was so cordial after his engine blew up was because he knew at that moment that the pressure was off of him. It became clear that he had done everything in his power up to that point to win the championship, then his equipment failed him.

I think that sums it up there!

6. twk63

twk63 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2005
    I just think the guy has matured over the years. 5 years ago he might well have been seething in the garage.

Anyone remember the press conference where Schumacher started crying because of the pressure he was under? I can't imagine him doing that now.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I remember Michael banging his helmet on something in the pits earlier in the season when he was upset. I think he just knows now it's pretty much over and only because his engine failed him and not him giving up on himself.

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Wasn't that after he passed Senna for second on the all time wins column? I don't think it was pressure. I read somewhere that Senna's accident greatly effected MS.

9. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Michael showed that he was racing for the team. He has showed that time and again the team is what matters. Once he realised the engine failure had affected his chances of recliaming the world championship, he decided that it was time to thank the team and the true fans who had supported him.

Michael is a great champion and he will always be king of F1 racing!

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I think it simply shows that he's ready to retire. When things don't matter as much to you as they did... you get out.

11. twk63

twk63 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2005
    You may be correct, I can't recall the specific race or circumstances myself, other than how shocking it was to see the guy literally break down. His brother sat next to him speechless.

12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    it was actually Monza 2000. MS has a bad mid season, seeing Mika take the championship lead in Hungary. here's the vid :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b025r9XXKw

also, a marshal died on the track that day. there wasn't any champhang celebration on the podium. i think he wept because he was very emotional about senna. i hope the last question Michael was asked in the vid answers your questions.

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I read in a book about Senna "As Time Goes By" by Christopher Hilton that MS, during a brazilian GP weekend, i don't remember which, rented a taxi, went to morumbi and openly wept at Senna's grave. The specation was that MS felt at least partcially responsible for the accident.( "If only i hadn't pushed so hard") His breakdown after overtaking Senna's win total was surpising but not a total shock to me after having read that. It was quite touching actually.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    if i had one wish, it would be a chance to see the Master himself in action. i think deep down, Schumi knows that the 94 championship is shallow one. he said that himself, dedicating the championship to Senna, ' the man who deserves it all ' according to MS.

thanx for the info anyways, Luis.