1520WHP Supra | FerrariChat

1520WHP Supra

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Akira, Oct 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
  2. Matthew_Love84

Matthew_Love84 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Love
    and I bet it still runs twelves in the quarter mile :)

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    True dat.

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
  5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sounds like it... They said it was 1480 with smoothing(?) on it... That's still a LOT of power...

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i bet ya it's faster than that!

7. JZ TWINS

JZ TWINS Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    That dynochart looks awesome. Great powerband. SP makes some fast cars.

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #8 FerrariF50lover, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That dyno graph looks like a heart monitor. If im not mistaken thats Marko's old car and it runs low 8's on something like 52lbs of boost. Also figured into a 15 percent drivetrain loss its about 1800hp not 2000 but I dont really know anything about drivetrain losses with autos. Im sure the cars fast but comparable to other cars that are in this ballpark of hp not really. Hes a real 2000hp car that traps in the 190's with a manual trans on 10.5 inch tires! Its Dan Millens mustang with its liberty trans. Most of the bigger turbo supras spray nitrous to keep the turbo spooled or spool it as fast as they can.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    what kind of motor can take that much pressure (52 PSI)??!?!?! That's insane... furthermore, the thing must lag terribly...

I used to love modded Supras.. however, ever since watching the Veilside Supra (1040 RWHP) getting owned by a STOCK McLaren F1, I lost all respect for them.. I figured out that it's the overall package, not just HP...LOL...

10. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Remember they are just going straight. Its not like they have to go around corners so lag isnt as much of an issue.

11. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Was that car really 1040rwhp I cant belive that. It would put a hurting to the McLaren F1 if it was. THe 2JZ is a monster maybe MVP will chim in here he knows his supras. They launch in the powerband but the usable powerband is a joke most of the cars have nitrous to help them get off the line.

12. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    That Supra didnt even have 520whp let alone 1040, it was just a BPU+ probaly 400-425whp. A true 1000whp single turbo Supra would murder even the F1 upto a certain speed once it caught traction. Those cars in full street trim are capable of trap speeds of 150+ mph

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How is 1520whp converted to 2000 flywheel? The amount of hp lost is the same, but percentage-wise it gets smaller with added power. I.e., say you have 1 million HP at the flywheel in a Supra. It won't be 820,000 at the wheels. 180,000 hp is not lost through the drivetrain. It will stay around the same amount, ~80 hp.

14. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    I don't think you know which car I am refering to... This particular Veilside Supra WAS 1040 RWHP. It is a combination, a ratio, of power to weight that determines a winner in a "drag race". The McLaren F1 obviously had a higher power-to-weight ratio than the 1040 RWHP Supra. Those things are fAT. No doubt they are 'fast' but that's a relative term. The McLaren F1 RAPED (for lack of a better word) the Supra from the line and all the way to 200+ mph. Furthermore, the big Macca is NA, whereas all its competitors are forced-induced (e.g. Koenigsegg CCR/CCX [supercharged], Veyron [quad-turbo] etc.). The big Macca is still king when it comes to NA cars.

15. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    ...BUT long story short, you have to be able to get that power to the ground. PERIOD. Otherwise, all it is good for is intimidating people in parking lots.

I could not tell what size rear tires were on that monster, but if they were anywhere near stock size, I bet I could race him in my 400hp 930 and give him fits. I can just hear it now "we have to go from a roll...let's start at 130mph..."

I believe that it is totally possible a stock MaC ran away from a 1000hp+ supra. A car with 1/2 the power of that Supra & some traction would walk that think BAD. Now, without traction issues, it might be a little different story! :)

16. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Your kidding right? Cars have a 15 percent drivetrain loss even more or less with different trans and other setups. They figured in a 25 percent drivetrain loss.

17. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D

Hi,
    do you have the video or the link..

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The drivetrain creates a certain amount of loss, not percentage. I'm not talking about different transmission setups and never stated once. Now you're introducing variables for which I already knew create different numbers. Thanks. The percentage of power lost falls at higher levels of power given everything else is the same.

For a simple example, which is similar to this, say you're on a bicycle. It takes a certain amount of power to move forward from a rest on the bike. If you don't have the power to push the pedal down, the bike won't move. You have 100% power loss (factors on weight of you and bike and drivetrain, gearing, etc). If you do have the power to pedal on a bike and it moves, you'll notice it's very inefficent at slower speeds (assume 1 gear bike like dynoing a car in 5th gear or where the 1:1 gear ratio is). The faster you pedal, the more efficient it becomes (less % of power lost). Try bike riding a 1 mph vs. 15 and you'll feel a difference. The amount of power lost is the same, but since you're giving out more power at 15mph vs. 1mph, the fraction of lost power is less at 15mph than 1mph.

So same with the Supra. Say you intall a 5hp engine with the same trans setup. The car won't move I guarantee. That's 100% drivetrain loss and not 1hp loss (20%). You need a certain power to move and that power to move all the gears and axles as well as the weight of the car is the drivetrain loss.

Edit: A simple question to ask yourself would be "where is the lost horsepower going?". If you assume 20% all the time for a Supra, where is the 200hp going on a 1000hp flywheel engine? Where is 400hp going on a 2000hp flywheel engine? The lost energy is dissipated somewhere. The gears only take a certain AMOUNT of power to turn and the rest is put to the ground. Same with the diff and axles, etc. They don't decide to remove more power if you give them more.

19. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

Umm no.

That car was making well over 1000hp. That was an orginal Veilside, not some chessey ricer with a replica bodykit.

Iam not going to start an arguement but in person I have seen a 880RWHP Supra with 200shot of nitious still lose to a Hennssey 800TT. Both cars had great drivers to.

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    From a standstill a 1000hp Supra is toast, thats why you see them racing from a roll all the time.

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

It didn't suprized me one bit, I knew that it was going to be put in the hurt locker the moment the race started. That video proved to me that Horsepower isn't everything. Plus the driver of the Mclaren F1 was outstanding, he didn't even miss a shift like Jeremey Clarkson did when he raced the GTR in the Mclaren F1.

22. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Curious to what it makes without the NOS.

Darrell.

23. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    That´s markos daily driver. He even drove it to his wedding, right after he was at the drag strip.
    It would rape any stock car in the 1/4 mile without any doubt.

Here it is running a 8.45 sec run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjbZ6ue3qYI

24. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Yeah it would rape any bone stock exotic but that would be unfair.

Id like to see it line up against Chads Viper.

25. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I do know which video you are talking about, it is almost as old as the internet itself, regardless of what you have been told that Supra was not 1040whp. The F1 is king when it comes to NA power, due to the fact its so light. It could accelerate even faster if its very tall gearing was altered. That being said at high speeds where drag comes into play, weight becomes less significant, power more significant. The F1 is my favorite car of all time, however a single turbo Supra making 1000 at the wheels will murder an F1 once it catches traction. All of you are naive to think that Supra had 1040whp.......have any of you ever seen an 800-1000 hp Supra race from a highway roll?