355 F1 Gear Indicators | FerrariChat

355 F1 Gear Indicators

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rifledriver, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just used a repair service for 355 F1 gear indicators with a burned out segment. His name is Steven Jones at [email protected] or Ph#336-202-7291. His price was good, his service was exellent (overnight there, fixed that day, overnighted back). I can't give him a higher recommendation.

2. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    How did you come to find out about this individual, and may I ask a round about cost?

Did he disclose what the actual failed component was?

Best,
    Pino

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

He advertises in the national FCA newsletter. On my unit it was a failed LED element, and cost under $200

4. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    That is less than half the price of a new one....you did good!

Thanks for the quick response.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Thanks, but he did good and deserves the free advertising.

6. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Does he fix your existing F-1 LED, or sell you another new one or rebuilt one? And,... how do you get the old one out of the dash? Is it difficult??

Dino

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He at this point is repairing yours. I suggested he should get one for exchange purposes and he is considering it. It comes out in a couple of minutes. The inst pod is held in by two screws, one on each side of steering col. Then disconnect all the elec plugs, take unit to the bench and remove 4 screws that hold in inst.

8. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Thanks Rifle Driver!

Just as an FYI the part that fails 99% of the time is the LED display. The compnay that manufatures the unit for Ferrari has the current going through the display WAY to high and that in turn burns out the segment that is used most often, or weakest.

What I do is replace the LED display and c couple of other things to reduce the current draw and hopefully prolong the life of the display. The problem is the manufacturer of the display is not very helpful and getting spares has been a chore. I have went through every spare parts been in China and Japan to get the few I have. I am trying to get them to produce more, but they require a minimun order of 2k units! Needless to say that would be a pricey venture for a one man show.

You can learn more about me here:

www.F1design.us

I have been involved with Ferraris for a long time and want to helpout folks here as much as I can. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

9. Doug Hayashi

Doug Hayashi Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Steve fixed my F1 indicator also, and promptly sent it back, and it works perfect. I had more than half the LEDs burnt out on mine before I sent it in. And he is WAY cheaper than purchasing a new F1 indicator light from Ferrari.

-Doug Hayashi

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yesterday I lost one of the segments in the F1 indicator, after a search here I found how to take the instrument binnacle off, which I did and removed the F1 display. After finding a replacement display on line which to my chagrin was available in both common anode and cathode, and having no idea which one was in the instrument, and after looking how it was soldered on the board, I decided that discretion was the better part, and figured I would just live with one segment out until it got worse.

So I put every thing back together, plugged the binnacle back in and turned the key.

Lo and behold, everything worked! All segments lighted, and I’m good to go.

:) :)

Here is the link to the 16 segment display which might be of help to experts
    http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/fairchild/MSA5180C.pdf

11. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #11 348paul, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a FYI from Hill Engineering

We have been repairing these units on an exchange basis for the last couple of years and only use OEM replacement components. We mainly repair these for the independent dealers here in the UK and its quite amazing how many of these this actually go wrong.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Paul, I will be in touch when mine gives up.

What is approx cost to repair?

13. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had mine sent out to Ricambi... similar set up: <$200, overnight shipping, etc... haven't had a problem since. Kinda nice to know what gear I'm in again.

-R

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes. Here's the deal folks... the chips themselves aren't too expensive. And frankly, the labor involved isn't terribly complex. It is however, very delicate. If you're not extremely proficient with solder, you'll cook the whole unit. Most of us can casually solder connections and things -- but not a 16-pin IC. The service that Paul Hill (and Ricambi) provides is more about skill than dollars.

I'm sure his setup is very similar to ours. In fact, he and I have discussed this more than once on the telephone. When the display units are fixed, they are done by a senior engineer with years of experience in microelectronics. They are fixed in a proper lab environment, using proper tools and materials. The units are soaked in the correct cleaning solution upon completion to ensure they're solid. Finally, they are bench tested to ensure each pixel lights correctly. Our bench time for each unit is about 45 minutes.

Could you buy the chips and solder it at home? Absolutely! Would I personally do it? No way. When I use a soldering iron, it's like Nicolas in that old episode of "Eight is Enough" (remember when he burned down the house?) I usually have big globs of molten solder over everything -- least of which is where I want it. I can solder a single wire to a connector, but there's no chance in hell I'd get all 16 of those IC pins soldered without big glomps of melted circut board and solder all over the place. In other words, I get displays that you send to Ricambi, and then carry them to the EE who fixes them and we ship 'em back.

If you're east of the GMT line, send them to Paul Hill. It's cost prohibitive to send them back-and-forth across the Atlantic.

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I fully concur with Dan

I took a long hard look at removing the display chip and re-soldering a new display in. I have repaired PC boards many times and have reasonable equipment however I am quite sure this one is way beyond my skills.

In fact I stand in awe of anyone who can do it; it’s akin to micro-surgery.

16. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    As Daniel said doing this takes the skill and know how. I have been doing this kind of work for well over 10 years now.

The main problem is not the parts but the way Digi-Tech , Ferrari's supplier, is biasing the diodes WAY too high in current. Think of it as driving your car near redline all the time. That is why the display fails.

I have made a few attempts in the past to lower the current and thus prolong the life of the unit. The problem there is the brightness of the display is decreased and thus making it harder to see in bright daylight.

This will happen to all F1 indicators eventually. I actually got my first 360 this weekend that is having the same problem. I will dive into it in a few days and see if I can source parts for it. I am sure it is the same issue with them as well.

Best

Steve

17. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones

Oh...and the factory part isn't the Fairchild one in the above link. It is a LiteOn that has been discontinued, but currently there is inventory available in Asia. Again the part cost isn't the issue. I do this type work on a daily basis and have the equipment to do it correctly and in a professional manner. My day job provides me with one heck of a lab to do science projects ( www.rfmd.com )

I currently am working directly only with repair shops, but any individual that need sthis service can have it done through www.ricambiamerica.com. The cost is the same and I am the same guy, but Daniel has the business setup to handle individuals with credit cards, other parts,etc etc.

Ciao'

Steve

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Sheesh dude.... I didn't want to "out" you. But I guess that cover is now blown!

The lab at RF MicroDevices is like something from Star Wars. If you saw the equipment that Steve uses to repair these buggers you'd be amazed. I was.

(Steve, it is a Liteon. I bought 200 of them in June. They looked like an army of centipedes)

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave