College Major help! | FerrariChat

College Major help!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Agni, Oct 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agni

Agni Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Chicago
    I am a freshman this year, I am in an engineering(deciding either CompSci or Bioengineering) major but i HATE math!!
    I was kinda forced to try this major by my parents...

What do u guys think about majoring in Finance, what kind of jobs can one expect with a finance degree?

I am really good at Finance, stock market, investing, etc and its something that I feel i would enjoy.

Also I know that the starting pay is not as good as engineering so its really hard for me to decide.

I "could" slave away in an Engineering degree but I'm afraid i'd loose interest and my GPA would plummit.

So I guess in the end, i'd just like to ask if anyone has done a finance major and would love you have your input!

2. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Don't do something you hate because your parents want you to do it.

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Do NOT do Comp Sci by itself.

If anything, get an MBA with a minor in Comp Sci.

Look 20 years down the road, what will be valuable, CS by itself won't be.

I know, because I'm there.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    What he said. Do whatever you want. That's what I did. You will be happier in the end.

Finance still seems promising..competative but promising.

5. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    You hate math but love finance? Wow! LOL

6. Agni

Agni Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Chicago
    I knew someone would say that! :p

I can handle math if it involves finance.

Like I can enjoy finding the optimal number of units a company should produce to maximize its profit.

But I could care less about finding the amount of parking lot plowed by a snowplow of given power with varying rates of snowfall.

7. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I'm majoring in Finance but horrible at Gr. 12 HS math. The math required for this course is easier because it's relevant to the situation.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Note to self... avoid CPA's/Financial Advisor's/etc named Sheldon... ;)

9. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    What is grade 12 HS math? Calc 1?

I'm in corporate finance now but the math doesn't seem too hard. We don't have "finance" here, only economics - what math classes do you need for a finance major?

10. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Why not Information Systems? It's a management degree with a comp sci slant. Less math, more management courses, which would include some obligatory finance classes.

11. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    My parents also tried to force me to become a doctor or engineer, and i'm only a first year undergrad!!

I've had talks with a few people and i know where you’re coming from. I'd suggest that you do what ever degree you have interest in and see your self doing down the future, not just to satisfy your parents. Because what ever you choose to do, your parents will support you and will be more proud of you doing a degree/job that you have interest in and do well as opposed to a degree/job that they have interest in and you do poorly.

You'll have more success doing something you like rather than something you have no interest in or believe will lead you no where.

12. Agni

Agni Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Chicago
    Well I know my parents would approve a Finance Major.

But I just want to ask for more input from people who have done finance major or know more about.

Like what will a finance major excatly do after College?

:)

13. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I never understood why parents forced their kids into a certain major.

Do what makes you happy.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Parents turn into kids when the kids get old enough to be parents - and like kids, they think they know everything. :)

15. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    What school are you going to? You can get any variety of jobs in banking, at a big company working on acquisitions projects and what not, like an energy company, a consulting job, etc.

16. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I too am a freshman and will more than likely be majoring in Finance. There are a myraid of jobs out of school but competition will be tough, but thats half the fun isnt it?

17. Agni

Agni Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Chicago
    I go to university of illinois in chicago.

18. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger
    You will NEVER regret doing something you love - you will ALWAYS regret doing something you hate.

You get one shot at this life - do what you are passionate about.

Read "Good to Great". Most of the examples of companies that made the move from being good companies to great companies did so - not because they worked hard and wanted to make money - but because they got "the right people on the bus" that were passionate about what they were doing.

It sounds to me like you are showing signs of being passionate about Financial Planning and Wealth Management. I have a friend who now has his own firm (http://www.nwmllc.com) but he started his career off selling stocks and mortgages.

19. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Finance math is not advanced trig or calculus; it's pretty much all simple formulas. ie, there's nothing abstract here to deal with, so being "good at math" in general is not a prereq, although it obviously helps. The concepts are simple enough, but a good number of people seem to have difficulty with them from what I see, although I don't quite understand why. Just like other fields of study, if you fall behind early on you tend to have continual difficulty as the topic builds on itself.

But getting back to the point, don't do anything you don't want to do. If you like finance, go for it. If you want to major in finger painting, well, minor in finance and make sure you're the best damn finger painter around.

20. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I'm taking math courses again! ;)

21. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a degree in finance. In all honesty, I don't think it matters a great deal what you major in. In the end, having a degree is really all that matters. There aren't many jobs that you will get with a finance degree that you couldn't get with a marketing, economics, management or general business degree.

Your parents aren't going to spend the next 30+ years working for you as an engineer. Find a field that you're interested in and focus your energy there. Your parents will get over it; you're not likely to get over working 30+ years in a field you hate (ie engineering).

22. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    No more input?

23. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What input are you looking for?

24. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Because a ton of people have them, and I'm not seeing a lot of jobs 'requiring' them. And I've been looking for 4 months. My problem is my expertise is not what people are looking for, OR, people think they cannot afford me so they don't even call.
    An IS degree won't help me, but ANY BA/BS degree will, it doesn't have to be specific to IS/IT.

25. awmtennis04

awmtennis04 Rookie

May 5, 2004
    At my university, recruiters are begging for MIS majors (business degree with IS). It is the highest paying starting salary out of the business school for undergrad. So many left the major in 02 (and went to finance) that now finance has too many people and they are heavily recruiting for more MIS majors.