FerrariChat.com UK Update... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com UK Update...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rob lay, Oct 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've been out of town past 9 days with limited access. As promised, I've been taking feedback the past 2 weeks. I will spend a couple days catching up on posts, then I'll implement a few small changes.

One somewhat theoretical question though. Whether FerrariChat.com is completely hands off like last couple weeks, if we really screw down with strict rules and active moderators, or anywhere in between... will the British culture and personalities really allow a peaceful existence of FerrariChat.com UK? If the answer is no, then that's why I really prefer a hands off approach and just let it be contained. Rotating in fresh moderators (remember it is a volunteer and thankless position) is a minimum requirement though, no matter how hands off they are.

Talk with y'all soon.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I have a question - please don't take it the wrong way and in a way it does not really need an answer, merely to be contemplated

For the last two weeks you say there was a hands off approach ie treating us like grown-ups - in fact I believe that was probably abused with the Andrew G thread - on the other hand someone was looking closely enough to censor my mention of another Ferrari forum in reply to a genuine question

I accept blatant advertising might be inappropriate but surely if we are able (to some extent) to be entrusted with this hands off approach we can also be allowed to refer to other established websites in the same way as others frequently cross-refer back to yours ?

It is possible that treating us like grown-ups in this way may actually encourage your "peaceful existence of FerrariChat.com UK"

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Rob

I set up the poll to try and get people to vote and shut up. Instead it just turned into another slagging match where i was finally glad that Wax closed all threads.

Personally I do believe that the UK section can prosper but I think if people instist on making the same point 2500 times then they should be banned for 24 hours. If they continue afterwards they are no good for the site. I think the last 2 weeks has demostrated why we need hands on mods, so that that some people on both sides of the camp cannot hijack the UK section.

4. cgt

cgt Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    London
    As I mentioned before, I think ^ this man would be a very good, fair and balanced Moderator.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's nothing mods did hands on the past two weeks. That is an automatic censor system that has been in place for almost a year now. I agree that the time has maybe come to back off of that because most linking now is of value and not a detriment to FC. However, in the past FerrariChat.com's PM system has been used to recruit and spread bad will among the communities. So look at it that a few rotten apples ruined it for everyone else. I have no bad will against F Cars, only a few users that proven themselves beyond a doubt to be scoundrel scum. There are those types elsewhere on FerrariChat, the internet, and the world. Don't make the mistake again of me calling out a few users is a blanket statement towards all UK users. Simply the British culture, humor, banter, and acceptable behavior requires a special perspective from internet community admins.

The hands off approach the past two weeks was simply because Andrew and Andy backed off, not that I called for it. I've been offline, so I certainly didn't have input. Fun unintended experiment nevertheless.

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Adnaan
    If this is directed at me as i have pointed out on lots of occasions about andrews garage well sorry but i had to do this to open peoples eyes about the siuation and believe me its worked as many people from outside the uk have sent me links copys of pm messages from andrew giving them advice as his tech's had done this and that at his garage ect
    a few of these people didnt want to be involved but i asked them to pm the same message to rob lay which a few have
    Look at this from my point of view every time i mentioned it andrew was moderating and deleting post's and trying to get others on his side saying that i was a trouble on the site a few believed him
    he even sent round a poll by pm messages a few weeks ago asking if i should be banned as he was getting close to being exposed
    I dont want andrew to be banned from here but i do think he used his moderator status on here to further his lies about his buisness and people listened to his advice as he was a moderator on here

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Steve

It was directed to you among others. As I said people on both sides. I never said you were wrong to bring this up, but once it finally grabed everyones attention it turned into a bit of a kid fight. If anything u probably lost more respect than you gained, and the content of what you were saying became irrelavant.

CGT - thanks for the compliment but i never got involved to become a mod. I did it because I was getting fed up!

8. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi there,

Please, please please will someone ban LeeP and Steve F forever. They add zero value and have single handedly wrecked the uk section by constant bullying,flaming and drivel. Who cares that they post more than most? they detract from the quality of the Uk section. Cant someone just be firm and save us from their rubbish once and for all?

regards,

zak

9. LeeP

LeeP Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    LeeP
    Dear Zak

Please get your facts right before posting. I haven't posted on this site for over a year because of how crap it had got on here. I only posted on here recently to back SteveF up with his AndrewG fiasco, and have hardly been on since.

Thanks for all your input.

Lee

10. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Rob,

My personal opinion is this:

1. The topic which caused all this disruption was as Adnaan said, blown way way out of proportion.
    2. The topic should have been dealt with privately.
    3. The topic should not have resulted in over ten threads being created.
    4. I'm glad the poll was created as it finally resulted in what I had asked for days prior to it being created, that all the threads were closed so this forum could move on.
    5. The poll also proved the point that certain members arrogance was very obvious and they were not happy at leaving the subject alone.
    6. The poll also encouraged some forum users to post their opinions and that the subject should be dropped. Some of these users were shot down.

I believe the only way for this section to move on is to police it for the following reasons:

1. Far too often there are threads targeting people, whether they be right or wrong is irrelevant, this is a Ferrari forum, not a stupid bravo court program.
    2. There are certain individuals whom I believe are here to disrupt the forum.
    3. There are too many irrelevant threads.
    4. I truly believe the AG thread thing will start again, somewhere down the line.
    5. It is only a matter of time before another eruption occurs. It happened not so long ago. A note should be taken of who is involved in these disruptions.

Rob, simple answer, I think that these stupid threads should be closed as soon as they are created. It is up to you or the mods who or if anyone is banned but for the good of this place, please do us all a favour and arrange for it to be monitored as much as you can.

Please read this as my opinion to Rob. I do not want anyone replying to what i have said.

Thanks

Matthew

11. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Will you all just please leave it alone. You're all as bad as each other. Just let Rob make his decision and accept it.

12. Fractiousgit

Fractiousgit Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Ade
    Well said Francis.

Don`t know how to do applause smilies,but insert a few imaginary ones here.

13. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    If it`s your opinion keep it to yourself, you caused as much disruption as anybody

14. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Chris,

I think I deserve to give an explanation to your claim.

If you wish to know the truth, I reacted to these people and only for one night. I caused short term disruption but long term peace. The reactions and all the bickering in the end caused the threads to be closed or removed which is what i wanted but I'm uncertain as to what you wanted. This place is a lot calmer than it was last week and that can only be a good thing for the section. Either way, we need mods.

Short and sweet.

Regards,

Matthew

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The discussion is over from my perspective. I've heard everything I need to hear to make the upcoming decisions. Anyone piping in at this point is easily classifying themselves as part of the problem. Just let it be for now and you should hear from me within a couple days. Thanks.

16. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    Rob we await your verdict as if you were Moses coming down the mountain carrying the tablets of stone .

wonder what F car Moses would choose......456 as it has room for the tablets

17. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Moses came down the mountain in his "Triumph" :D

18. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Triumph LOL it would have broken down halfway :D

19. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah, he freewheeled the rest of the way :D:D

20. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Darn those Tr8's ;)

21. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    So Rob many days have passed.. have you reached a verdict ? Do you need to phone a friend ? ....or are you going to ask the audience ?

22. LeeP

LeeP Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    LeeP
    I think the audience has said enough. I'm sure Rob'll reply when he can.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The mods have been consulted about the proposed direction and agreed. A few users have now been consulted. Once I hear back from them I will announce.

The changes will basically be…

1) Mod changes.

2) Temp user bans encompassing forum rules broken past 3 weeks.

3) UK Forum changes.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry everyone, I promise everything will be finalized this week. I've completed my talks with the current mods and also a few key users. All are cool with my direction for FC UK, I just need to implement.

25. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Whats happening Rob ?