The return of the Dino? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Great point. I work in the GM parts field, and I remember when the new GTO/Holden Monaro CV8 came out in the US. The GTO faithful(read: old farts with old Pontiacs) let loose with a boatload of crying. "It doesn't look like a GTO!" "No hoodscoops!" Yeah, and a 2002 TransAm looks just like a '69. Never mind that it outperformed all the original GTO's. Whiners. I have driven the '04, '05, and '06 GTO and it is the nicest car Pontiac has made in a long time. A name is a name. GM owns the GTO name in the states, let 'em use it. Ferrari owns the Dino name, let them put it on an awesome car of there choosing. V6, V8, front or mid engine, whatever. Make it beautiful, make it fast, just MAKE IT. If I could, I would buy one. But unfortunately I am a poor bastard and have to make do with a 10 year old Ferrari. Woe is me!!! ;)

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie

4. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie

5. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wow, Robbie, did your 'enter' key stick? I'm impressed!

6. maseratiami

maseratiami Rookie

Jul 20, 2006
    Israel
    Full Name:
    David Sery
    There are strong rumours again about Dino revival. Here is the article from today's www.leftlanenews.com :

Ferrari Deputy Managing Director Amedo Felisa and CEO Luca Cordero di Montezemolo have both denied plans for a new low-end model, but rumors continue to circulate from within the Italian automaker the a new car is most definitely in the works. As reported in early October, a recent issue of Germany's AutoBild magazine features a cover story on the revival of the entry-level Ferrari Dino sports cars. [Full cover PDF here].

Today, AutoWeek is reporting the Dino project is "very much alive and in the early stage of development in partnership with Maserati." Sources reportedly told the magazine crude test mules exist, but actual prototyping has not yet begun.

The car will reportedly arrive in 2009, and share a platform with the upcoming replacement to the Maserati GT coupe. Like the forthcoming Alfa Romeo 8C, the new Dino will make use of carbon fiber and aluminum to keep weight low. Power will come from a 400 horsepower V8, and annual volume is expected around 4,000 units.

7. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    this could go either way...it could be coming out, and Ferrari would like to keep it hush hush for as long as possible...or it won't be made...in which case Ferrari again will claim that they don't want too many cars on the road...

hmm....

8. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I've heard indirectly through the President of Sale for FNA that this car is already in development, and going to be a front-engine V8 of sorts. It may or may not be called the Dino however, likely not from what I hear.

9. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Been hearing about it for a while now and a friend just came back from maranello visit and confirmed this belief.
    We'll just have to wait and see, I guess

10. seinfeld

seinfeld Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2004
    Diamond Bar/Cali
    Full Name:
    Gary
    i hear front engined rwd dino..i also hear midengined rwd...which one is it?!....hopefully that new technology that has been posted already...the one where rwd can be a 4wd. I think it was also referred to "insertable 4x4".

I think its a great idea that needs to be done to make an already prestigious automaker even hotter.

11. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    if it makes production it would likely be shared platform based...with new maser coupe...so, front engine, rear drive

12. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Here is what I heard from usually credible sources in Italy.

The "dino" project, for a smaller V8 engined car, based on the current 430/Maserati engine will be built, most likely at the new Maserati factory in Modena. Engine and painting will be done at the Ferrari factory in Maranelllo, as is the case for today's Maseratis.

The real basis for this is that as Maserati gets absorbed into the Alfa Romeo hemisphere, the Modena factory (which is new and state of the art) will become available. It has capacity for around 10,000 to 15,000 vehicles and the plan is for the eventual acquisition of that factory by Ferrari.
    This is all tied into an eventual IPO for Ferrari, which is currently not feasible at the current production levels. I guess we'lll see soon enough.....

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Is there a point of Ferrari making a "Dino"? The original was so they could compete in Formula 2. Is this one just so they can afford to put an extra 0 at the end of Kimi's check?

15. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If I had to guess, I would say it is to reach a broader section of buyers. Some here have said that a Ferrari in the $150K range will dilute the brand, but let's face it, if you can afford a toy that expensive, you're pretty well off. As I stated a couple of posts ago, those who can't afford a new F-car will buy one used. I would imagine Ferrari wants to capture some of those dollars. Currently the wait for a new F-car is over a year long, but the more expensive they get, who knows..... Remember that a 328 sold new for about $60K in mid '80's, a new 430 is about $200K. That increase is more than the inflation rate. My .02 :)

16. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    928 might be more appropriate :)

17. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Actually, Maserati was just transferred back to parent company Fiat. I beleive that the reasons were to prepare Ferrari for its eventual partial public stock offering (e.g., taking Maserati's start-up losses off of its books). There is still a great deal of interaction between F and M.

18. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    From this week's Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061023/FREE/311070001&SearchID=73260773018149

19. henri66

henri66 Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Previously Maranello
    +1. Perfect analyse.

20. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It would have been one of the worst examples of engineering in modern American car design if it didn't.

21. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    In another thread James G. said there will be such a small Frontengined V8 Ferrari with a two piece folding roof.
    It will NOT be called Dino.

IF this is true I suggest that we all stop using the name Dino, because that holy name may stick to it even if it's not the real name of this new Baby-Ferrari.
    The Dino name is too valuable to be misused by the public for something like a cheap Maserati conversion by Ferrari.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I have been told and have read several times that it won't be called "Dino".

Recently there has been speculation that the two piece roof won't make the final cut for weight/cost savings.

I still think it will be front engined.

23. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    You think, or do you know this?
    It would be the easiest way for Ferrari to coachbuild the Alfa 8C/New Maserati.
    Fine with me... I'll continue my own Dino-project.

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As I get older I find there is less I KNOW but I do THINK it will be.

Best

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#250 dm_n_stuff, Oct 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Scan courtesy Orlando Vetrano. Yes, our very own La Scuderia Rossa.

Article in Auto oggi - Car today?? Can't see the scans clearly enough for a date or author credit.

His included details in the email..

its going to be a V 8 4.2 litre Front engine 425CV horsepower
    very light weight car and close to maserati 4.2 engine will produce a performance similar to the current 430

The Dino will be F1 pininfarina design

long: 4597 mm
    wide:1886 mm
    height 1300mm
    luguage 330 litres
    weight 1600

price tag: 140,000 Euros

4000 cars production in just one year run!

new concept folding away roof similar to superamerica but fully improved and is the caracteristic of this new dino.
    It will be a gts or gtb (gt) in one car!!!

I take ZERO responsibility for the accuracy of this stuff, I'm just posting it to get it out there for discussion. Front engine V8 with F1 doesn't sound much like a Dino to me. Sounds like a Maserati spyder in Ferrari clothing. Guess they can call it whatever they want.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login