Need Sydney service recommendation | FerrariChat

Need Sydney service recommendation

Discussion in 'Australia' started by geekstreet, Oct 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Maaaates!

Well I just strolled 'round the corner & BUGGER ME if there ain't an Oz forum here! I guess I'm a right dill for not scrolling down the home page a bit further. Anyway, nice bar you boys have got here - even kept the old Resch's Export Lager posters I see. VERY tasteful.

Quick question to break the ice.

I've got a nice 3.2 Mondi which I used to get serviced by Scuderia (Sydney). Always found them terrific & I thought pretty good value. I've got by for the past year without them, doing some DIY and using an indep mech, but now need a sig bit of service work done & would like a good service firm.

Any recommendations? What are Italia Motori like? I've heard they are super exe $$$. Are they any good on the 3x8 series? I don't want someone who only knows 360s & 430s.

I know of Rudi & Piccola, but unsure of his work. I just hate mechs who *create* work for themselves by saying this & that needs replacement when it doesn't.

Any suggestions would be MOST welcome.

Thanks guys.

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Cam, Rudi rebuilt my engine so I might be a bit biased here.His work is good and he has been helpful to me at least as I have helped him out with things as well.Sal who used to work at Scuderia now works there.I think most mechanics will tell you that things need replacing partly because they always need work and partly just to inform you so that if you took it to someone else and they bring the work up you cant say that the other mechanic told you everything is alright.The only negative thing that I can say about Rudi (Piccola Scuderia) is that they are slow and if you dont constantly go down and push them things take a long time but since Sal joined them they have sped up a bit.Now I'll do most of the work myself as the major work has already been done.I've just finished rebuilding all the front suspension(shocks,bushes,steering rack,etc) with his advice and also Phil (FerrariFixer) advice who again I would like to thank.Unfortunately he is in Melbourne otherwise I would reccomend him.I will be doing the rear suspension soon as well.Gerry no longer works on peoples cars as far as I know.There is another guy who's in Mortlake Maurizio(Mastertouch).I'm told he is ok as well.He converted my car to electronic ignition and I cant complain about him.There is aslo Lucky who's in Guilford but I've spoken to him a few times but never brought my car to him

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes

Thanks Maurice.

I know Rudi has recently invested very heavily in having all the latest facilities, equipment, and now top staff like Sal Di Mauro too... Of course, this generates overheads so prices tend to go up, but I like to think efficiency does too... yes, the labour might be up there.. but how much does he get done in his hour compared to some.... ? It's important to remember value, not just price.

I was offered a job by Miles Sandy back in 2000, and was quite tempted to take it as he seemed a great guy, with great facilities and an interesting and varied workload. I've dealt with him a few times since then and would say he's worth a try if you're looking for someone.

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Laki Harris has looked after both my cars for the last six years. He is an independent guy with a small workshop and low overheads unlike Piccolo and Miles Sandy. Mechanical knowledge and restoration work is first class. A no BS mechanic. His mobile is 0407355246

5. 328stig

328stig Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stig
    I have a 328 and Rudi looks after it . I find him very helpful and he knows his stuff . He does good work ... as for the cost ... I think he is ok . I would use Rudi .

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Yeah he will be moving premises soon and I suppose he will be better set up then.Prices are always the same I think.I think that prices might vary from person to person.When I've asked him for things in the past they have ranged from being dear to cheap.I dont generally buy things locally anymore anyway unless I'm in a bind.Mike(Superformance) or F of UK seem to be cheaper and quicker.I find that the US seem to be dearer.When it came to the rebuild I sourced alot of parts as well and basically knew what other things costed so things didn't sky rocket.For how much it costed me I think I went OK.I asked around how much the rebuild would cost and everyone told me around the same price including you and obviously always depending on what you find.My only blow out was I needed a new exhaust cam and that wasn't included in the initial quote.But when it came to the refitting of every thing I would go there at nights and stay back with him for a few hours over a couple of weeks and we would do it together.I did a lot of the cleaning of parts and all the other apprentice type jobs but I didn't mind as much as it was a learning experience and it sped things up.In the end he threw in a set of alluminium timing gears that someone had ordered and not picked up at no cost to me so I was happy about that.As I said previously my only gripe was that it took about 10 months to do which it shouldn't have especially as all the parts are readily available.I haven't dealt with Miles before but I have heard good things about him as well.As far as my suspension work was concerned I asked him and his quote was OK but he was busy and told me that the time frame was going to be a while so I got all the parts via Mike and Ebay and yourself and did all the work myself in 4 days.Yes I had a few hiccups along the way but it all sorted itself out.Now the rear I think will be quicker and easier..well I hope at least
    PS:Expect more questions :D

7. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Strangely, no-one has yet mentioned our local F-dealer - does *anyone* use Italia Motori?
    I had assumed that they "inherited" most of the staff from SV, but it sounds like that hasn't been the case. I do know Adam went there (cust service mgr) & he's pretty keen to do a good job (but at what price?).

8. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    ferrari or not, don't look at a single aspect of service, always apply the quality/speed/price ratio, 2 out of those three should make you smile and you'll walk away satisfied. if not you'll always complain.

9. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I recently used Italia Motori to service my 328 and found them great. Adam is very helpful and was keen to retain my business. The price was good and the mechanic who serviced my car was very knowledgeable on the "older" 328. There were other "older" cars in the workshop, 328's, mondial and testarossa. They currently have an F40 in the workshop getting some work done.

10. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    I have used Italia Motori as well. Adam Playford the Service Manager will bend over backwards to help you. They are a very professional outfit (as they should be) and the workshop is spacious, clean and well fitted out with the latest diagnostic equipment.

11. mr_shamal

mr_shamal Rookie

Dec 17, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Hey there
    Italia Motori is no longer operating in Artarmon although Andrea used to be the service manager/mechanic for the company for over 30 yrs!! He now has opened a new service centre which is also located in Artarmon.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    maybe I should advertise my business also.

14. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    I had some 'catch up' - stuff I either didn't have time to do, or didn't have the tools for - work done by Cavallino this year. Happy with the result - will be back again soon for the next stage. Charge out rate was 100/hr, less than getting my wifes Pug serviced. Good parts stock. Bonus: lots of 275s, Daytonas, 246, 250 Lusso to perv on, as well as neglected 308s and 456s.

One of the others mentioned did a PPI, which was complete BS, another had 'maintained' the car for a few years - which probably explains why it had 15 year old fuel filters (original!) and 10 year old air filters - with dead mice. Although, to be fair that probably had something to do with the PO. The 'maintenance' history was partially fabricated, but very obvious..

15. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    cam belts?

16. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Yes, definitely fitted...

17. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    thoughts on a Ralt RT4?

18. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
  19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  20. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Any in Aussie? Pretty car, definately Warwick Farm material..

21. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Never seen a early FF Lotus in Australia,

22. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    yep just use Rudolf

say hello to him from Paolo

23. frog

frog Karting

Jul 7, 2008
    2 in Sydney at a minimum, suspect there are several more. Have to have a death wish to drive an unrestored example......and even then, pos of the highest order.

24. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Any and all are welcome to do that, once they've signed up as a sponsor.

Joining only to promote yourself while unsubscribed is just rude.

25. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Opening in the new year is my Labioplasty clinic in FQ.