Question: How to replace/repair digital clock in 3.2 Mondial? | FerrariChat

Question: How to replace/repair digital clock in 3.2 Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialman, Oct 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 1986 3.2 Mondial. The second digit from the left is dim most of the time. It brightens when you tap it. Can this be repaired?

Also, I have tried to remove the clock, but after removing the tach, speedometer, etc. the wires aren't long enough to fully pull out the clock/odometer/gauge cluster in order to see behind it, so I can figure out how to pull out the clock. Any ideas before I break something expensive?

2. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    ditto (I also need to know).

Actually I wish mine was DIMMER, as the damn numbers are *way* too bright. At night any car following you can see this crazy clock from several blocks away!

Why is it there? Heck, when you're driving a Ferrari, time should be immaterial, shouldn't it?

Anyway, my clock continuously blinks probably 80% of the time, even after resetting it, so I'm guessing earthing gremlins or similar & so need to get it out to check it over.

3. frankty

frankty Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Full Name:
    Frank Yonkers
    The clock on my '85 Cab has been doing the reset thing for a LONG time. Over time it's getting worse. If I turn on just about anything that draws current it will reset. My thinking at this point is that it's NOT the electrical system but the clock itself. There may be a small rechargeable battery or a capacitor in the clock that is bad with age. As a test I wired up a big diode and 150000uf cap to the supply the circuit that the clock is on, at the fuse panel. The clock resets less frequently, but will still reset when other things on the same circuit are turned on.

Has anyone removed the clock from the panel?

cheers,
    - Frank

4. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have tried to remove the clock with no success. First, remove the steering wheel. Then take a screwdriver and pop off the black plastic trim pieces around the guages. Then you can unscrew the speedometer and the tachometer, then the clock/odometer/guage cluster. Pull out the cluster and try to remove the clock. When I got to this point I was so afraid of breaking something and causing $$ damage that I stopped and put everything back together. I suppose some well-cut electrical tape would cover up the clock so I don't have to look at it. Once in a while T-Rutlands has a new clock for sale. I would have bought it if I knew I could actually install it.

5. martin-uk

martin-uk Karting

Feb 24, 2007
    uk
    Full Name:
    martin
    just a note when you turn on the side lights on my mondial 1982 the clock digits are dimmer

6. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #6 racespecferrari, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. frankty

frankty Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Full Name:
    Frank Yonkers
    Pete,

Thanks for the pictures. I believe the "scary part" are the plastic bits/bezels that hold things in. It's not obvious (even from your pictures) where the catches are.

It's funny looking at the console on your RHD and seeing all the switches and even the speedo/tach reversed.

cheers,
    - Frank

8. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I figured out how to remove my clock. I found the two very small screws that hold the clock to the odometer assembly. The clock comes right out. Are you still interested in selling the clock?

9. claus.stetter

claus.stetter Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Los Gatos
    I just replaced the clock on my 1988 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. There is no need to remove the steering wheel or the speedometer. Remove the black bezel around the rev counter gently and then remove the 4 screws holding it in. Pull it towards you and then do the same with the cluster containing the clock. Two small screws hold the clock in place.