Front License Plate - Legal Issue | FerrariChat

Front License Plate - Legal Issue

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zzoorrkk, Oct 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    Hi, I'm just wondering if the front license plate is legally required on cars driven in British Columbia. An Autoplan agent has told me that both the front and rear license plates have to be displayed. But, I cannot seem to find any legal information to that effect on ICBC's website.

Just over a year ago, I was pulled over by the police for not having a front license plate on my Murcie. I was given a warning, so I got the dealer to install the front plates right away. But the look of the car's front end is destroyed by the front plate. I would like to have no front plate installed on my up coming LP640, however, I want to find the legal wording on a government website to back up my action.

Anyone know for sure?

2. NHeerDesign

NHeerDesign Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Well, I've seen a bunch of BC exotics. One that I've seen was a 360. Basically, they kept only the essential bit of the plate (the numbers) and cut the rest off.

3. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Heres the deal, you do need to have a front plate on. I have 3 cars, 1 of them does not have a front plate, have been driving for over a year without it. It's only a 75 dollar fine, Don't wreck the look of the car.

don't mind plates on the 348 or 355, but not a fan of front plates on the murcie gallardo 360 and 430.

Todd

4. imcarthur

imcarthur Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ian
  5. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks! I only tried searching under ICBC's website. I guess I will try to ask the insurance agent to issue and authorize one plate only for my LP640.

6. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks! I only tried searching under ICBC's website. I guess I will try to ask the insurance agent to issue and authorize one plate only for my LP640.

7. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada

8. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    is it illegal to speed too?

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    Register the car in AB :D

10. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Dont wreck it with the front plate. Most police wont even bother pulling you over. Its not something they really look for. If a cop pulls you over...whats the worst that can happen? A $75 fine. Oh well. Just add that into the price of the car, and consider it an expense for having such a nice vehicle. :D

Can't wait to see pics of your LP640!

11. Dohhunter

Dohhunter Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No front plate ticket for the Viper last weekend.....first ticket after 2 warnings.

Worst part was I actually have a non-drilled bracket with a front plate in the trunk.....but hate the look on the front of the car......my own fault I guess.

Other two times I've gone to the trunk, put it on, and said I had taken it off to wash the car and forgot about it...didn't work this time, a bit of a prude to say the least :D

12. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    Or Quebec....

13. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    What's involved to register in AB? Pros and Cons.

14. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    Pros: No front license plate.

Cons: Compared to BC? No idea...

15. furious_ferrari

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You have to have an Alberta address. Also, the car is in BC for more then 90 days and you have a BC residents, then they will force you to register the car in BC.

16. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    fixed address, possible provoncial inspection. really it's not a big deal to have no front plate on your car here.

Todd

17. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    I called an Autoplan agent about registering a car with only one plate, and she said that only tow-trailers and motorbikes could have single plate registration. For a car, two plates are registered and thus two plates have to be on the car. Sigh...

I really don't want to give Smokey the justification to pull me over for no license plate in front. I simply don't need the aggravation. So I think my LP640 will have the proper plates up.

Anyways, I'm thinking about a personalize plate this time. Suggestions?

I thought maybe IOIOIO, or R N R.

18. furious_ferrari

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Whats the meaning?

19. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I don't know about you, but I want my license plate to say "OW3ND".

Or...ORLY?

I would burst out laughing if I saw a car with that license plate.

20. NHeerDesign

NHeerDesign Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sheldon, I saw a really neat one in Calgary a little while ago. It said something like "ROFLOL" or something like that.

I'd love to get a 'PWN3D' plate :D

21. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    sales tax implications?
    i think paying 6.5% and the luxury tax (3%?) for a 9.5% on a $350k+ can pay for rent in AB to register yourself.

(haha, yes, i know they check where you reside and your income...)

22. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Get "LP640" IMO, that would be so original.

23. WyattH

WyattH Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Wyatt Hanson
    Hehe, it's illegal in WA to drive without a front plate as well, but my car is always in BC. So since my rear plate is from WA, the police wont give me a ticket for no front plate either. :)

Post pictures of the Murci! :)

24. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has already posted pictures of his previous black Murci Coupe here.

And his LP is not in Vancouver yet. Being 6 Speed, car goes to production later than the E-Gear ones.

25. zzoorrkk

zzoorrkk Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    Canada
    IOIOIO "I owe I owe I owe"
    R N R "Rest N Relaxation"