Anyone on a mac? Just ordered a MBP.. | FerrariChat

Anyone on a mac? Just ordered a MBP..

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Z400Central, Oct 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z400Central

Z400Central Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Interested to hear from the switchers. How do you like OSX? What don't you like?

I just ordered a new Core 2 Duo mac book pro. Making the switch!

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Love the Macs. I don't buy anything else for the company.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Haven't switched, just added.......

Got both

Congrats

4. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Switched to a MBP after having PCs all my life. It's incredible if you do any sys admin work. Nothing like opening a terminal window and getting... a terminal! Hooray for unix commands!

The transition didn't take too long. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The only problem I've had with the MacBook (other than having a defective hard drive which I've yet to swap out, but have to low level format and restore to quite frequently) is the fact that its extremely HOT. It sometimes literally burns my legs.

5. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    You'll love your MBP. I am still enjoying my first generation Titanium PB G4.

6. msquared

msquared Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    as you increase a fan's speed and its cooling impact, you necessarily increase the sound volume.

apple goofed and in my opinion, preset the fans to run at too slow of an rpm. if you poke around on internet, you can find software to change the default RPMs for the various fans. you sacrifice how quiet the machine is, but you will have a safe 'laptop' again.

7. VK430gt

VK430gt Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2006
    Anywhere Anytime
    Full Name:
    VK430GT DUH!!
    my family has 5 macs just in the household, they are practicly bulletproof. My dad has over 30 mac mini's for his dental lab and he has had no problems so far.

8. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Found the program you're talking about. I'll give it a shot. I read a couple things a while back about the improper application of thermal grease on the CPUs, but I wasn't about to rip open the laptop to try and fix it!

9. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    At first I kept going back and forth XP and OS X but after two months using OS X and tweaking things here and there I made a complete switch. No I'm 4 months into it and I'm looking to buy another mac for christmas

I'm going to list some things that made my life on a Mac easy:
    -Quicksilver, cant live without it now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cnTxnDtEY (video overview)
    -Virtue Desktops, many virtual desktops as in Linux
    -Textmate, fantastic text editor (for scripting and stuff)
    -VLC, to watch videos and movies
    -Flip4mac, to watch WVM video files
    -NeoOffice, is Open office for OS X

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I too have 5 computer in my house, 4 are Mac's and the 1 laptop Mac I have has always worked like a charm.

11. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    whats windows??

12. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger
    I have been using both a Mac and PC forever (mainly for web design testing purposes) and when my PC craps out I'll probably just buy a new Mac and run Windows on it.

The main apps you will enjoy from a fun/life perspective is the iLife suite, which includes:
    - iPhoto: for importing, editing and sharing all your digital photos
    - iMovie: for importing, editing and sharing all your digital videos
    - iDVD: for authoring your own DVDs
    - iWeb: for easily creating your own simple web sites
    - GarageBand: for recording and editing your own music

Then there's iChat, which is AIM on steriods because it works with your AIM account and it has an amazingly high-quality video conferencing capability.

Other than that, the typical MS Office products all work the same as on a PC except the graphics are all handled and rendered a lot better.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Imac 20" non intel!!!