Is Austin the most "Impatient city"? | FerrariChat

Is Austin the most "Impatient city"?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by PeterS, Oct 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Melodie was telling me that she hear on a radio report that Austin is the most 'Impatient City' in the US! Since I may move there (Visiting next weekend for three days of house hunting), I say YAAHHHHHHHHHH! She said the report said that Austin has the most drive-through businesses, etc and that OK by me! ....................Maybe I'll like Austin, as I don't like to wait for anything!

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I think that would belong to Houston. When I lived down there, I'd never seen such a vast amount of fast food places too closely packed together.

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I went to school down there. It's a young vibrant city. You should also know that Texas has become one of the fattest states in the country over the last ten years, according to Men's Health Magazine. I travel around the country and can certainly tell you that Texas has more than its share of overweight people. It's not surprising given the temperatures here during the summer are incredibly hot and the mid-winter is very cold. There's not much in the way of out door activity either, like CA, WA or CO where the state gov'ts spend significant amounts of money to provide for their citizens outdoor activity. However; Austin is one of the better cities to live in for outdoor fun. You'll really like it there. Traffic is tough, but once you're used to it and get the hang of the short-cuts, you'll be a happy camper. Also the lakes are beautiful there. Before anyone jumps on me, I love Texas and it's been very good to me. If you do any traveling to some of the more "outdoor" friendly states, you'd certainly agree with my comments.

Also, the very best Mexican food anywhere!

4. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    hehe...I dont think you have tried san antonios food...;)

I love Austin, its a nice city just to go visit for the day, or just to check out something and go back home. I just like to go and check out urban outfitters and then im gone...haha.

john

5. hplug

hplug Karting

Sep 23, 2005
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Hayes
    Also, the very best Mexican food anywhere![/QUOTE]

I agree with your outdoor comments, I can not stand that almost all of Texas land is private and there are not a lot of places to go disappear in wilderness. Raised in New Mexico and Colorado I am a little biased though. But this last comment? Hmm no good mexican food starts with Tex, best mexican food New Mexico umm green chili.

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Get ready to wait in traffic... but I guess that's what happens when a city grows at the pace Austin has grown.

7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Austin is a great place to be. However like everyone is saying Traffic is horrible, I try and avoid I-35 as much as I can. It's not really a huge problem for me tho, since I don't have a need to do much driving since i'm in school. Hope you enjoy your visit Hook em' Horns!

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    traffic here IS HORRENDOUS and before anyone pipes up with, "well, you've never seen Houston or LA traffic", yes, I have and Austin is still terrible and only getting worse.

disagree about the mez, BEST is Southern Calif and I've had mez in TX, AZ, and NM. Your fav seems to boil down to what you grew up with....

9. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Austin is a great city. I keep my boat on Lake Travis out there. It's consistently ranked as one of the best cities in the US to live.

10. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah for now, but its getting out of hand and the quality of life that made Austin such a draw is rapidly disappearing under concrete.

11. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    That's an a$$ backwards assesment of Austin. Don't be in a hurry at all if your going there. Traffic is horendous. And since it's a big College town and the live music capitol of America there are tons of hippes and granola types.
    Slacker central. A buch of liberals with no sense of urgency, no motivation, no carreer goals.
    It's a beautiful city full of $hitty people.
    A great case in point:
    I drove to the corner store for a 6 pack of beer. I grab my beverage and approach the counter. Dreadlock slacker College dropout says "Beer, cool man. Where are you going? What are you guys doing" Hasn't even rang up the sale. I have to make the quick decision to either engage in useless banter with the guy in order to gain my beverage or just tell him STFU and ring it up.
    You get this EVERYWHERE. Some people consider it part of the allure/magic of Austin. Slow paced, hippe minded love fest. It's terribly annoying if your a motivated person.

Stay off the freeways and use the side streets. Cut's down on commute time some. Most of the traffic is out of town College students who moved to the area who aren't free thinkers so they line up like sheeple on the major roads.

But it really is a pretty city. If all the people would just move to San Francisco it would be a Texas Utopia.

12. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I'll wager from your post, you're; 1) a recent arrival to Austin and 2) most likely from California and if not CA, then not Texas (ok, maybe from Dallas).

You seem part of the "new" Austin: always in a hurry, always on the cell phone, always speeding, has no respect for anyone except themselves, i.e. the "new" Austin. It is indeed unfortunate and it's the reason Austin is changing for the worse.

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I'm there with you brother. Keep Austin weird.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    No doubt he's a newbie to Austin. I've been in Texas long enough to remmember whe it was very cool. It's still beautiful in areas but the typical suburb, soccer mom, corporate types have ruined the cities "cool". I mean I love being able to go to ZIlker park and hang out with the topless college girls and no one gives a damn. Do that in Dallas and people would throw a **** fit.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    LMAO!

16. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I guess I need to start visiting Zilker if there really are topless college chicks there, normally I have to wait till the partys on the weekend for that kinda stuff.

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    he might be talking about Barton Springs pool. they lay down topless while sunning but if there's some other place they're hanging out topless, its a well kept secret.

18. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    Those are the dumbest stickers in the world.
    But they do sum up Austin just fine.

19. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    Uhhh I certainly hope this uneducated response was not directed at me? I do not reside in Austin. I own land in Dripping Springs and Llano and drive through once in a while.

I'm certainly not a part of your "new" Austin theory. I am always in a hurry because I am on track to retire at age 40 with a yearly residual of at least 800,000 annual.
    If you find fault in that, so be it. Enjoy working for the man every single day of your life...

20. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    My adidas, be careful who you are talking to. BigAl is “the man.”

Don’t be so cynical about Austin just because you are slowed down by others such as you, who don’t live here but drive our roads, and by people at the sales counter engaging in polite conversation. Remember what Oscar Wilde said, “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Once you reach your monetary goal, your life’s goal may change to one of relaxation and enjoyment of life. Just don’t be upset at those who have managed to achieve the later goal without the necessity of achieving the former.

Today, you may wish to sieze the day by doing as much as possible to acquire wealth. That is your decision. However don’t condemn those whose idea of seizing the day is to enjoy the little things in life. While they may be slackers in the commercial world, they may have stumbled upon true happiness for themselves. More likely, they are similar to you and I and are just trying to find their own way in a complex world. It is this diversity of views and paths in life that makes Austin an exiting and sometimes weird place. “Keep Austin weird” is a celebration of diversity, not stupidity.

Horace's Carpe Diem

Tu ne quaesieris - scire nefas - quem mihi, quem tibi
    finem di dederint, Leuconoë, nec Babylonios
    temptaris numeros. ut melius, quicquid erit, pati!
    seu plures hiemes, seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
    quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
    Tyrhenum. Sapias, vina liques, et spatio brevi
    spem longam reseces. dum loquimur, fugerit invida
    aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Ask not - we cannot know - what end the gods have set for you, for me; nor attempt the Babylonian reckonings Leuconoë. How much better to endure whatever comes, whether Jupiter grants us additional winters or whether this is our last, which now wears out the Tuscan Sea upon the barrier of the cliffs! Be wise, strain the wine; and since life is brief, prune back far-reaching hopes! Even while we speak, envious time has passed: pluck the day, putting as little trust as possible in tomorrow!

21. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Very wise words...

22. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005

Big Al is nobody to me. This person so far only exists to misinterpret what I have to say. Apparently you do the same, to a lessor degree.

As you attempted to convey, happiness is where you find it. For me,that's busting my butt, saving money, and not bothering folks with usless banter when they try to perform a business transaction.
    If you want to hang out at Hippie Hollow nude, that's fine.

And they are actually MY streets too. More so than the people you tend to favor in your skewed opinion since I pay far more in taxes each year than these folks. There not "your" roads.
    That statement alone lends some serious insight into your train of thinking...

23. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    #23 Lloyd, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Adidas, please don’t sell your Viper and buy a Ferrari. Having to drive your Ferrari on streets you must share with mere mortals is bound to lead you only to frustration. With your great wealth and influence you would be better off buying helicopter. That way you can avoid the granola types getting in your way and you can fly right over Austin in your travels from your suburban home in Houston to your interests in Dripping Springs and Llano. It sounds like we would all be better off if you avoided us entirely. Of course in order to get your helicopter you will have to go to the following site to test your qualifications. http://www.adidashelicoptertesting.com

By the way, in another post you indicated that you lived in the suburbs of Houston because only the granola crowd lives in Houston. I am curious, which city has more granola types, Austin or Houston? Do they eat more granola in River Oaks or Pemberton? Also, in which place do you pay all of these City of Austin taxes, at your suburban Houston home or at your property in Llano or Dripping Springs?

I am serious about the helicopter thing. You would look good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Eloquently spoken as always Gen Ripper.

myadidas you are a troll, goodbye. Will vote to ban in fchat police.....

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    So... 3 month ban for adidas_wipe. Long enough to learn to show some respect.