Vintage dials, but what are they from??? | FerrariChat

Vintage dials, but what are they from???

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 68gtv, Oct 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 68gtv

68gtv Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    #1 68gtv, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I posted this in the technical Q&A section and they have suggested I post here also so here goes...

I'm trying to find out a little about the dials pictured below - what cars (series) they are for, any idea of value or disirability, that sort of thing. I am an Alfa owner (1968 1750 GTV) and long time admirer of all things Italian, hope you don't mind sharing your expertise but someone on the alfabb suggest you were THE source of info. !

Best Regards.

Keith.

P.S. So far we are guessing 250 or 275 series cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Not 275 or 330, they have black plastic rims.

Looks like 250. Also post this on Tom Yang's site (www.tomyang.net), you should get a detailed answer.

Regards,

Art S.

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree, definitely from the 250 period...through 1964.

The 250 Lusso Berlinetta's last year as a production model was 1964 and it had this style of instruments; the 330 2+2, 275GTS, and 275GTB, which were introduced as a 1964 models, had the later style which was used throughout the 1960's and early 1970's, at least on production street cars.

This later style had deep black plastic rims as well as a new dial-face design, with the needles on the smaller instruments pivoting from the bottom.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    For some reason the tach and speedo don't look quite right to me. They look like they are from some other car and have the dials redone with Ferrari logos. I could be wrong, but something just doesn't look right.

Brian

5. 68gtv

68gtv Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Very interesting guys - you do know your stuff, I will post on Tom's site and se what happens.

Cheers.

Keith.

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Specifically, the Ferrari scripts look too big.

They're also Jaeger..British made...per the small logo on top of the dials. I don't know if these were ever used by Ferrari...you need more of an expert on that.

7. 68gtv

68gtv Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Small lettering on tacho. front reads RN 1402/15, British Jaeger, Small lettering on speedo. front reads SN 5406/26 1600 British Jaeger. Other instrument seem to have Smiths stamped on the back and Jaeger on the front. Now I am confused??

8. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am thinking these are Bogus! They look like TR-4 guages that have had new faces silk screened. I have never seen a Ferrari accept that type of capilary tube. Furthermore Smiths guages changed in design fundamentally around 1965 or 66, the upper part of the needle began shrouded where as earlier models the needle was completely visable.
    These are the later type... I cannot recall Ferrari
    ever using Smith's instruments, Jaeger yes, Smith's no.

If these were from a very old Ferrari do you think the speedo would be in MPH? I do acknowledge that TR-4's did not have a 160 MPH speedo, nor were they redlined at 7000.

To add to the confusion the minor instruments are in Metric, these could be out of a Maserati, perhaps a Mistral.

Maybe these were for a some sort of Special, but I rather doubt it. They are obviously NOS or else have been reconditioned...

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was thinking that too. The Ferrari script does not look right.

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    one of those Datsun Z Ferrari GTO things :p

11. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    They would be from an early 50's car due to the capillary tube type thermometer. In the mid 1950's Ferrari started using electric sensors.

john

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Good eye John, but they don't look like the guages I've seen on early cars.

Where are Tom S. and Marcel? They would probobly know the serial number of the vehicle these are from - real or fake!

Art S.

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Is it possible they are from that ugly 212 which had English Abbott coachwork circa 1952??

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Honestly, I think these are Smiths gauges, silk screened with the words Jaeger and Ferrari. They probably came from a British car and were modified for a replica.

john

16. 68gtv

68gtv Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Really fascinating info. guys, seems to have many scratching there heads! I should mention that I found all the instruments together but as I didn't remove them from a car I can't say that they all belong to the same vehicle - the tacho. and speedo. do seem identical in design so I would expect them to be together but it is posible that the others came from something else. Please do keep the thoughts coming - I am on the edge of my seat.

Cheers.

Keith.

17. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    Early kit car guages. More info via PM. Value, not much at all.

You could put them on Ebay and hope for a sucker. Then when they discover they have no value, you can just sign up for a new account. After all, that's why you posted here right? Your looking to sell them.

18. 68gtv

68gtv Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Thank you for your reply, I will await your PM with interest. I am primarily here looking to gather info. on these, I am DEFINATLEY NOT looking for a sucker. I may well sell these in time but first I would like to be sure that I know what I am dealing with - I don't know how things are with you but when I do buy and sell I have built up a 100% positive ebay record over a number of years and would not act in such a foolish way to damage my reputation. As I said, I am interested to know why you think these are kit car so please do send me the PM or post here. Whatever these are, lets work it out!

Thanks.

Keith.

19. paulvv

paulvv Rookie

Feb 20, 2006
    Hello all,

Look like typical Maserati 3500, Sebring or Mistral gauges as pointed out before(flaviaman).....

Maserati's of the 60's were fitted with these types of gauges from Jaeger....

Best Regards

Paul

(61 Maserati 3500
    59, 60 PF coupes)

20. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Smiths gauges were used on the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day off!

21. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I've seen those smaller gauges used in Innocenti cars

22. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    I agree with the view that these are British gauges. On top of that the F in the Ferrari logo is not the correct size.

Fakes......

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Don't know what the Italians or British did, but many of the early Corvette gauges will have a date stamped on the back with black ink. Any dates anywhere?

24. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    These are not from 250 Lusso's, which are white faced for early and black faced from later. Veglia supplied the gauges for the 250, 275, 330, 365, 500, etc.

25. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    I believe that those are likely customized products from Caerbont Automotive Instruments (CAI), the company that currently makes Smiths instruments. The CAI products are commonly used on Cobra reproductions and others.

CAI also makes many custom applications, some of which can be found at popular resto/repro parts sites like Re-Originals.