American "Muscle".. need some help. Z06? Viper? or. | FerrariChat

American "Muscle".. need some help. Z06? Viper? or.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Matthew_Love84, Oct 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matthew_Love84

Matthew_Love84 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Love
    Well, my wife's always been into american muscle cars.. if it's loud, she loves it.

So, this puts me in a bit of a pickle. I want to get her a car she's going to enjoy, and love.. but something I can drive as well. This by no means is going to be a daily driver, BUT it could be driven quite a bit.

At first I was thinking about looking around for a decent condition '68 camaro..but I feel that it would take too much time to get it the way I'd want it.

So, I was thinking about a new C6 Z06 Corvette.. or a new Dodge Viper. Both around the same price range, but I just havnt had the chance to drive either of them.

I've driven the C5 Z06 and the older vipers.. and they were fun cars, lots of power, but the handling just wasnt there.

Has this changed? What would you guys shoot for? I know the viper has more of a "wow" factor as far as looks go.. but it seems like I've yet to hear any real bad news about the new Z06.

I know there's a VIPER buff somewhere on these forums, feel like rining in?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    How about the new GT500?

3. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    I hope she gives you something nice....

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A lot really depends on what your wife wants in a sports car. The Z06 will be more refined, offering more features and options. The Viper will be more raw (although the SRT line is a lot more refined than Gen 1 & 2). The Viper allows you the option of a convertible (if she cares about that) and has more of a visual impact to most people than the Vette.

In the end, you need to have her drive both cars and see which one she likes. They're both great cars, but with very different personalities.

5. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The C6Z06 is faster then the viper but the viper is the nicer car. AJ knows both cars inside and out he should be able to tell you much more. The Z06 is well just a vette and the Viper is well a viper to the untrained eye the viper will get alot more looks.

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Well..if this car is for your wife....you need to go to the Z06. More refined, more amenities, all the latest gadgets and gizmos, better gas mileage, easier to handle, traction control....and faster than a scalded dog. Get an '07...SOME of the bugs have been worked out. Just picked up an '07 last week...much better than the two 06's I had.

No need to talk about the Viper if it is for your wife...Vipers and Women DO NOT MIX well...too harsh of a car...even the '06 Coupes, which are more refined than any previous Viper.

The Shelby 500 would be a good possibility also. Good power...heavy car...good handling on the street (not the track), great looks.

7. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate

Hey AJ, Is the viper really that much of a handful? Are you starting to like the Z06 and dare I say it but keep this one lol. Hows the gt?

8. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Hey Nate. No...I don't like the Z. My reasons are numerous....but it's speed is not one of them!! It is a super quick car. I have ended up with the Z's because they were all trades on Vipers at my Friends Dodge dealership. He just wholesales them to me...and I flip them for a couple of bucks. He just took 2 more '06's last week.....I will be getting those also. No keeper!!

The GT is great. Can't say enough positives about it. It now has a MASSIVE nitrous shot to go with the immense power it already had. Very cool to have a car that can handle all power you can throw at it...on untouched internals.

9. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    I thought she wanted a Muscle car?

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    JTM GALLARDO will like this suggestion, but I think I would buy her a Cadillac XLR-V it is sporty, great exhaust sound, functional as a coupe/and drop top. The car is faster then a stock corvette and a few ticks behind a z06 but the car is very user friendly. Easy to get in and out, and the car feels light on its feet. Not to mention you can get some pretty good discounts on the car now! Just throwing it out there.
    Erik

11. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Any chance this one handles with any predictability? Id own one if I could be semi assured I wont be off the road in the first few miles, or at the first hint of a bump!

12. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm calling Cadillac to get you a sponsorship. You say XLR-V to everything.

13. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I know a lady who has an XLR-V, and she loves it. I don't care for it as much, I like the way it looks, but not the quality. She does love it however, and thats what counts I guess.

14. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mere semantics. Muscle and sport can be used interchangeable for the Z and Viper. They're both American "muscle" and American sports cars.

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Well...the XLR-V is a terrific car.....but it is also 100 smooth, new. And it is more than a few ticks behind both the Z06 and Viper. I love the car...but at about 70k...new. But they depreciate like a rock..so a used '06 may be available for 50k soon.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My ex fiance used to love driving my '01 viper.

I wouldnt rule it out for your wife until she tries it out..though AJ is the expert here as he probably owns more vipers than anyone else on the planet..lol

Im kind of anti-C6Zo6 though...

J

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would say look into the Cadillac XLR-V too, then Vette if its not fast enough.

18. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    If your wife is an above average driver she would love the viper but it is a handful at times. It will be pretty simple, she will either love it or hate it. If she hates it then vette all the way.

Oh and if you buy a viper get a gen II, such a better looking car.

19. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    #19 6.0 se, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Of course you meant IMO...right? I would not begin to agree with that statement.....IMHO. And additionally..the Gen 3's are much more suitable for a women. A more refined Viper..if there is such a thing. My '01 Bumblebee...and '06 Bumblebee.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Most probably a Corvette convertible or a viper convertible would suit your wife more? Probably a good idea to ask if she wants a coupe or convertible body style...

The new Ford Mustang Shelby convertible or hardtops are nice 2 + 2 seaters if she has little kiddies to drag along sometimes?

Both the Viper and the C6 Z06 are nice cars. I don't think you can go wrong with either......still I prefer the active handling/competition mode of the C6 Z06 especially on the street with 500 hp ....(possible inclement weather on the street etc)

As far as C5 Z06 not handling? Thats a bull**** line but each of us are entitled to our own opinions....

Good luck in your search.

Offer your wife a Jaguar convertible XKR and I think she'll go for it...or a MB SL55. Most women do if you show it to them and let them drive them. JMO

LOL Otherwise take for a test drive of a Saturn Sky turbo..That little 30 grand roadsters a dam rocketship

21. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Z06 is sorta a handful. Have her drive both cars then decide.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Thats what I was thinking.

You mention Muscle car I think of them old 60's style Chargers and Camaros of course there's always the 06 Charger or 300C with the Hemi.

I wouldn't classifiy a Corvette as a Muscle car because its the greatest sportscar ever in my opinion and the Viper is an exotic car.

23. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The vette in many owners eyes is a muscle car. IMO its a muscle car because it was a part of the muscle car era in the 60's with its 396, 427, and many more engines as well. The cars are a handful for sure. If she wants a muscle car but your looking for a cheaper way out you could always try a WS6, Camaro SS, or a 03/04 Cobra.

24. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My wife went with the Z06 and I am trying to schedule the good folks in Old Lyme, CT to upgrade the interior. My wife wife was looking for a powerful car to replace her less than reliable SL55. She wanted something subtle and stylish. The Z06 fit the bill.

She test drove the Viper and the Cayman. I have never liked the look of the Viper, especially its most recent iteration, but she liked it a lot. She felt the acceleration was comparabale to the Z06, but the Z06 felt more precise. She also liked the interior of the Corvette better than the Viper, so did I. Personally, I liked the way both cars drove. We then zipped over to the local Porsche dealer and took the Cayman S out for a test. It was a very nice car, but she preferred the looks of the Z06 and the Cayman was exceedingly short on power when compared to the Z06 or Viper.

The Z06 is an incredible car. I think it looks great. I was never a fan of the C5, but the C6 is a nice evolution of that car and in Z06 guise it looks pretty darn good. At the end of the day, I am just happy to have the SL55 out of the garage.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

Its definately got the heart of American Muscle under the hood. I guess they could because I see the Ford GT and GT-40 as Muscle cars because of those V-8's that they have.